It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for meme in Connecticut "showing interest in mass shooting"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: uncommitted

Everyone's freedom.

Even things I don't agree with, or find offensive.

As long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights, then they should be free to offend.

Anything else is censorship.

Finding something offensive is neither here nor there, someone implying that that may be inclined to kill people and when it's considered there is possibly a credible threat is not simply someone doing something that some people may find offensive. Killing someone else infringes their rights, trying to ensure that where possible that is avoided by your measure then is a good thing so what's your problem?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Opposing every move to even begin to stop the maddness of mass shootings is madness as well.

There was no mass shooting though, this is presuming guilt.

Would you rather wait until people are dead and then say 'I knew there was something odd going on'?

Yes they would when you boil it down.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

is saying "I'm going to kill you, and your family."

a threat, or a pre crime?

Where do we stop and think "Naw, he didn't do it yet. lets just ignore it."

After it's happened? When we consider "If only someone had stopped him there.."

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Opposing every move to even begin to stop the maddness of mass shootings is madness as well.

Would you rather wait until people are dead and then say 'I knew there was something odd going on'?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Would you rather live in a police-state?

So yelling FIRE in a crowded theatre is OK, if there just may one day, be a fire.

I get where you're coming from, I agree with it 99% of the time. Free speech is paramount.

But this is where we NEED to start looking for things that go awry. Cannot hide behind freedom of speech when your intent is nefarious. Be it memes or the words of others. Spoken, posted, said.. if you ring alarm bells, someone has to be alerted.

I'd rather someone be looked at, than ignored, even if they are just stupid.. in this global climate.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Yes they would when you boil it down.

Oh, I know, but no one will actually say that.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I was talking about this last night with my girl We seen on the news that a 15 yer old was arrested for making threats in a online game my girl said good , I said wait a min it's got to the point that all anyone has to do is make a anonymous phone call about someone you don't like or want to get even with saying that they threatened a mass killing and it would cause their lives to turn into a living hell especially if they have guns in their house .

The line has been crossed it's turning into a modern day witch hunt .

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It isn't a police state not to act on information received and proceed accordingly, it's common sense.

dressing anti-freedom as "common sense" is in itself, frightening.

using free speech for ill intent, is worse, imo.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You just expressed yourself freely.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

is saying "I'm going to kill you, and your family."

a threat, or a pre crime?

Where do we stop and think "Naw, he didn't do it yet. lets just ignore it."

After it's happened? When we consider "If only someone had stopped him there.."

So you would censor Kathy Griffin when she held up a severed head of Trump?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

It isn't a police state not to act on information received and proceed accordingly, it's common sense.

So you would censor the state rep hat just wished that Trump be assassinated?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Please understand.. Yes, they would. Itll just be called something like "common sense non-police state" and folks will say: How could it be a police state if its called a non-police state?

We are treading into uncharted waters when it comes to technology, but most are going to approach it with misguided, traditional (so to speak) perspectives.

I cant say I would completely oppose further monitoring of this guy, but arresting him is a real problem for reasons that are obvious to those of us not in the psuedo-left religion. They are programmed to think this sort of thing will never blowback on them specifically, and that it will never be abused or have unintended consequences beyond the idealized notion. When confronted with that specifically, the flock will reasonably say "thats not true!" but actions speak louder than words. Which is why one of the tenets of the religion is that actions are irrelevant and words are everything..

Of course.. then we see how shocked they are when these large corporations start censoring exactly like they wanted, and they get caught in the net. Pretty funny really, even if getting the results they screamed for all along are bad for everyone. There is a level of narcissism involved, where they believe the way they think it all works in their life is unquestionably how it plays out in reality. Then are permanently Shocked Pikachus when it plays out differently. Permanent, because its not like learning takes place.. Just repeatedly putting that hand in the fire.

It seems like there is a test for civilizations to really grow beyond a certain level of advancment. Can we maintain a connection to reality as we spiral deeper into our own creations, or will we succumb to the inherent narcissism and odd folie a plusieur?

Its not looking good.. and there are those that spur it even deeper to gain power and votes. Themselves not realizing they are aiming at their own foot.
edit on 22-8-2019 by Serdgiam because: Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Did the said rep say they would carry out the assassination? I'm guessing not. If they had, an there was a risk it was a credible threat do you not think that should be investigated? You do know that any such threats are - at least were investigated routinely by the FBI if someone had made comments to suggest it was a valid threat don't you?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Did the said rep say they would carry out the assassination? I'm guessing not. If they had, an there was a risk it was a credible threat do you not think that should be investigated? You do know that any such threats are - at least were investigated routinely by the FBI if someone had made comments to suggest it was a valid threat don't you?

So you'd want to censor her.

'kay.

Or at the very least, punish her for having made an offensive statement.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

It has begun ..

Potential mass shootings in California, Tennessee averted

Last week, three men — Brandon Wagshol, 22, of Connecticut; Tristan Wix, 25, of Florida; and James Reardon, 20, of Ohio — were arrested after local authorities were tipped off about their alleged threats.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

He should be able to get a payday out of this, shame that the money will ultimately come from all tax payers rather than just the ones who voted for the politicians that support this draconian BS.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

So the police state is here and people are going to cheer

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

It has begun ..

Potential mass shootings in California, Tennessee averted

Last week, three men — Brandon Wagshol, 22, of Connecticut; Tristan Wix, 25, of Florida; and James Reardon, 20, of Ohio — were arrested after local authorities were tipped off about their alleged threats.

From the article:

McVicker, according to his friend, claimed he wanted to kill people because "they put spiritual snakes and spider in my bed at night." According to the affidavit, McVicker said he'd "only seen them a couple of times but they take form and I can feel them crawling on me and under me."

Yup, let's wait and see what he does instead of looking into it. If this nut has a gun or even a sharp object, it should be taken away from him.
edit on 8-22-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Just curious, but when are you going to start reporting people who say crazy stuff on this site?

Ummm, asking for a friend.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Just curious, but when are you going to start reporting people who say crazy stuff on this site?

Ummm, asking for a friend.

Never. But I'm pretty sure if you start posting stupid stuff about killing people, it will get someone's attention. The Mods most likely who will (I hope) delete it.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

He was arrested because he was found to be in possession of something that was illegal to own, wasn't he??
And it seems the only answer we get when we ask what we should do from the gun rights folks is more guns!! Guns in the schools, guns at all public events, build fenced around the schools, clear backpacks for the kids, heck. Let's search all their lockers again..
Tell me again just who wants a police state because it sounds like that building a police state is just fine as long as they can hold onto their right to own guns that can spit out enough bullets to kill a couple dozen people or so in less than a minute!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join