It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs executive action to remove student loan debt for all disabled veterans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There was already a process in place to get rid of these loans. All this does is streamline the process a bit, but of course there are no specifics on how that is to be done in his executive order.

The current program offers this:

We work with the VA and the SSA to identify those who qualify for a discharge based on their status with the VA or the SSA. If we receive information from the appropriate agency indicating that you qualify for a TPD discharge, we’ll send you a letter notifying you of your eligibility for discharge, along with a TPD discharge application. If you want to apply for a TPD discharge, all you need to do is complete and submit the discharge application, without having to provide any additional documentation of your eligibility for discharge.Text

studentaid.ed.gov... llation/disability-discharge

The Higher Education Act of 1965 and the Higher Education Act of 2008 discharged the student loan debt for totally and permanently disabled veterans.

Nothing new here folks.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Has the news explained how this is racist yet?

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't think it will be costing the taxpayers much more when they do this, most of the Disabled vets aren't going to pay it anyway, their disability is not considered income for mandatory repayment of the student loans. It will take some of the stress off of the disabled vets though, the debt hanging over anyone's head bothers people. Also their credit scores are lower and that makes it a little more expensive to live. Credit scores are used to evaluate house and car insurance, not just for interest rates.

I am glad that Trump did this. It will help the disabled vets feel less stomped on.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Smooth moves from Donald , nice gesture and I hope other nations pay attention.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

You didn't read the article. Show me ONE place it say veterans.

Now, what Obama did was also a good thing.

Why can people not applaud good things?

edit on Augam31amf0000002019-08-22T11:49:58-05:001158 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

someone will have to take the hit on these loans.
who will end up paying back for all these forgiven loans?

Haha Knew it wouldn't last.

Hey man... Vet here. I am happy to pay those taxes. It would be the only tax that made sense.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

It is obvious to people with eyes open that Donald Trump is indeed as he said in his press briefing today, "the chosen one."

I like Trump and all but I wouldn't go that far

Them's words of tha deble!

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevenjames15
G.I. Bill was already in place. This is more grandstanding b.s.

Yeah? Let me guess... You never served

My GI bill expired exactly 10 years after I started being eligible for it. I didn't go to school until almost a year after it expired because... life happens.

Know how I did it? A little bit from a pell grant and student loans. Oh yeah... I also paid off my loans myself and I still agree with what Trump did and I don't expect a refund.

So what about all those vets that were in during the 90s? 80s? 70s? It didn't change until 9-11 and sadly, the only thing that came after 9-11 were snowflakes. You know... because they expect it, like they expect everything else to be done for them.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

It'll keep going. We can now use shell to pull oil, which was way too expensive to do in the past. More reserves are popping up because of this. North Louisiana, around Shreveport, they've found the biggest shell oil reserve to date. So much is untapped it's unreal. This isn't even including all the capped wells that we wont go back to until it's profitable to pull from. Along with renewable energy, it'll further extend the life of oil.

Most people don't understand that every single thing around them, everything they wear, all of it comes from oil one way or another. Renewable energy is NOT cost effective simply because it takes oil to make it and it's "renewable" aspect of it does not compare above oil. It actually takes more oil than you can save to build an electric car.

People are so deluded these days.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Because it is Trump taking credit for something that has been in place for many years already. Hopefully he does make it go smoother, but by no means is he responsible for this practice.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

So who do we give credit to when the wall is built?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Disabled vets aren't usually democrats. This move will infuriate the left.

Except OSotC

That's a feature, not a bug.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Veterans who are 100% disabled ALREADY were eligible to have 100% of their student loan debt eliminated.

????

Kind of desperate for Trump to issue a "memo" and try and take credit for it.

2010 (under Obama...ackh!)
Disabled Veterans Get Full Student Loan Discharge
www.disabledveterans.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

Because it is Trump taking credit for something that has been in place for many years already. Hopefully he does make it go smoother, but by no means is he responsible for this practice.

Don't forget, he is the "Chosen One".. He said it himself, everyone is saying, lots of people say it...as you know..

edit on 23-8-2019 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

He is reforming the bull# that Obama did to vets. Eligible but not qualified? That is politics at it's finest like Obamacare where you could buy insurance but not everything was covered.

While 50,000 permanently disabled veterans in the country are eligible for relief under a decades-old debt forgiveness program, only half of them have qualified because of cumbersome requirements, according to the White House. The executive action signed by Mr. Trump directs the Education Department and the Department of Veterans Affairs to simplify the process to speed up applications. The president said disabled veterans would not have to pay federal income tax on the forgiven debt, and he called on all 50 states to provide the same relief.

Link

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

So who do we give credit to when the wall is built?

Obama but Biden will take credit.

I don't know how.. But it'll happen. Mark my words!

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Extorris

He is reforming the bull# that Obama did to vets. Eligible but not qualified? That is politics at it's finest like Obamacare where you could buy insurance but not everything was covered.

To the contrary. It was Trump himself that made "qualifying" for disability more difficult.

He created the problem for veterans.

Trump's new Medicaid work requirements are a disaster for disabled people
www.nbcnews.com...

President’s Budget Would Hurt People with Disabilities
www.cbpp.org...

Trump’s budget is ruthless to disabled and poor people
thinkprogress.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I can sum up Obamacare pretty easy.

Thought up by a dimwitted republican that couldn't get it past his own people because it was stupid and republicans knew it.

Brought up and claimed by a self righteous democrat who forced it down the throats of hard working americans so that supposedly half of their share will allow the disadvantaged to have what they have.

He got that part right.... They get exactly half so they both have equally nothing.

It's like having a dollar to buy a 75c banana. He takes the dollar and gives us each 50c but the banana is still 75c.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Whatever happened to this?

pics.me.me...

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

You didn't read the article did you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join