It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs executive action to remove student loan debt for all disabled veterans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is very cool of Mr Trump and hopefully this will help those who are in the this situation to prosper. This should open some opportunities for people who are burdened with this debt. These brave men and women sacraficed more than anyone and this have been done a long time ago. He is once again being non-partisan and doing something for the country and not just special interests as has happened with past administrations.

Link

President Trump has signed a memorandum directing the Department of Education to forgive all federal student loan debt owed by veterans who are "completely and permanently" disabled. The policy change will eliminate "hundreds of millions of dollars" of student loan debt, Mr. Trump said in announcing the memo at a speech to the American Veterans 75th National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. The memo Mr. Trump signed on stage Wednesday directs Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie to create an expedited process to make sure those veterans have their debt discharged with minimal burdens, according to the White House.

"I'm proud to announce that I am taking executive action to ensure that our wounded warriors are not saddled with mountains of student debt," Mr. Trump told the convention before signing the memo. "In a few moments I will sign a memorandum directing the Department of Education to eliminate every penny of federal student loan debt owed by American veterans who are completely and permanently disabled."

There is a current process in place where a veteran can ask for loan forgiveness but the president felt it was too cumbersome.

Another win in the book for our countries veterans.

edit on Augpm31pmf0000002019-08-21T15:36:30-05:000330 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on Augpm31pmf0000002019-08-21T15:37:14-05:000314 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
That is a beautiful and appropriate action. Thank you Mr. President.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Credit where credit is due looks like a good move.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Great.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Disabled vets aren't usually democrats. This move will infuriate the left.

Except OSotC
edit on 21-8-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

A small price to pay for taking one for the team - it's a good first step towards what I consider a much needed revamp on how the US government treats it's returned servicemen and women.

Good stuff

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Somewhere there is a dark group of CNN scum thinking how to spin this....

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

someone will have to take the hit on these loans.
who will end up paying back for all these forgiven loans?

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Somewhere there is a dark group of CNN scum thinking how to spin this....

"Trump discriminates by nullifying 'some peoples' college debt, leaving hard working Americans to pick up the tab".

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Don't be so easily fooled.

He's just doing this because he's a white nationalist and he's trying to distract you.

He is evil, he has literally never done anything good, we must resist.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

someone will have to take the hit on these loans.
who will end up paying back for all these forgiven loans?

Good question, aside from just hitting [delete] on the keyboard, the US government could just redistribute money from the Planned Parenthood defunding thing?

Just a thought.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

A small price to pay for taking one for the team - it's a good first step towards what I consider a much needed revamp on how the US government treats it's returned servicemen and women.

Good stuff

Just wait for the RAGE of the Marxists run department of Zeducation!

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"completely and permanently disabled" is a good start. Now the rest of the rank and file.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It is obvious to people with eyes open that Donald Trump is indeed as he said in his press briefing today, "the chosen one."

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is great for disabled veterans.
But I thought there were already programs for disabled vets to get free college education.
I don't know first hand but has anyone else heard of that?

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
And their kids? I can only hope ...lol

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This is great for disabled veterans.
But I thought there were already programs for disabled vets to get free college education.
I don't know first hand but has anyone else heard of that?

We have post 911 GI bill and it is extremely good, but there could be other debt and you only get it if you were in the service after 911 for XX number of months.
edit on 21-8-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Awesome move. Don't know how anyone can hate on this.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Behind the president 110% on this one 👍

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Obama changed it so all student loans are issued by the federal government. Which is what removed the incentive for collages and universities to keep the price down to start with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join