It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like China solved its engine problems.

page: 1

join
share:
GD

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The Chinese just bought a batch of top line Russian fighters. Looks like they will have a template for domestic, high end aircraft engines.
China fighter buy
edit on 21-8-2019 by GD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GD

i cant find the link now but i could have sworn i read a link talking about how russia makes its engines really hard to reverse engineer so that they cant be taken apart easily

GD

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas
They do- but China is really good at reverse engineering. The worse case is incremental improvement. Building a high performance aircraft engine isn’t easy, so cutting out any R&D in exchange for actual, functioning models... well that’s a leap forward. It’s all about learning, and cutting a couple years of the development cycle could be huge.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Russian engines still aren't that great. They're vastly improved over where they once were, but they still have reliability issues.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Its probably better for China to develop their own engine based on the Russian design.They seem to have more people invested in engineering projects than Russia.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
eh.

The Chinese already had the WS-10 engine[1] and the WS-15[2] is under development. That last has been spotted on J-20 prototypes. It is speculated there are problems with the WS-15, but we will see. Even if they are having some problems, that the Chinese are flying the prototypes is a pretty good indication they're making progress. The WS-15 is in the same class as the AL-41[3] or the YF-120.

1. en.wikipedia.org...
2. en.wikipedia.org...
3. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I wonder if it's because of this.

www.bloomberg.com...

The 66 advanced Lockheed Martin Corp. F-16 jets, approved by the Trump administration, represents a boost for the island’s military -- and an even bigger boon for President Tsai Ing-wen as she faces a stiff campaign for re-election. It marks a major advance for the island’s aging air defense capabilities, even if a base model of the fighter plane has been in its skies for almost half a century.

GD

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

True, but they are better than the Shenyang engines, and may help them get over the hump in the Xian engines they want for the J-20.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Like I said elsewhere, state-owned ICBC is buying up GEnx and LEAP engines. For whatever reason we are clearly not that worried about possibly aiding their engine development. Seems foolish to me, but $ talks.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Like I said elsewhere, state-owned ICBC is buying up GEnx and LEAP engines. For whatever reason we are clearly not that worried about possibly aiding their engine development. Seems foolish to me, but $ talks.

They can’t make decent castings, we keep getting them with part numbers mixed up and holes misaligned, Zero concept of quality control, we needed parts in a hurry so the sped up the cooling process, parts were useless.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about high tolerance repeatable parts for a while, especially when the tools to make them are also made in China!

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I've talked elsewhere about issues in quality control even in just plain unmachined high hard. Even on the same sheet or plate, there are so many impurities and poor quality control in general that you have no idea what you're getting. Basically useless for us. Have to over-engineer to compensate which means more weight and money. And because they've driven so many other mills around the world out of business by illegally dumping product on the markets, the wait for domestic steel can be a #.

Still no reason to hand them working examples. We used to mock Japanese products the same way at one time. I think there's a difference in what they are capable of and what their standard business practices are. Look at our domestic vehicle production: we put out a lot of poor quality cars, but that doesn't mean we don't have the capability to do better. The market just lets them cut corners to slash costs.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I think that's largely a myth and hasn't been true for a long time. Russia used to favor numbers so it spread it's maintenance thin, but they are Now going for quality over quantity. Their engineers are on par with American engineer, and their technology is around the same level.

These days You could fit a hair between russian and America at the top level. The only real difference is which direction either side chooses to give research preference to.

If anything Russia is more innovative because Russian engineer tend to train all over the world so they pick up all sorts of ideas, but American engineers tend to be American trained.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

And you'd be wrong. It's definitely not a myth. We used to have Tu-154s come through and speaking to the pilots there were some very interesting stories from them. Unless they were deliberately lying for no good reason, Russian maintenance practices and reliability is quite true.

The technology level is irrelevant, as are their engineers. Their problem has always been in production and sustainment. You can have the world's best engineers, but if your production quality isn't at the same level it doesn't make a difference. You don't just change a culture overnight.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Why does the OP suggest China has solved its engine problems? There's no evidence either way.

One thing's for sure is that modern jet engines are very complicated, including the use of materials which require advanced manufacturing techniques. China has got where it is through extensive theft of commercial property and possibly backward engineering, but translating a blueprint into a finished product that does not fall to pieces in the first minute is not that easy.

I have no evidence either way, except that we'll never really know as China is not exactly an open society, and in reality what is released into the public domain is what they want us to know. If the Chinese want to say that their technology is on a par with P&W or RR, then that's what will be published as fact, when the truth may be completely different.
edit on 22/8/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

i have personally been to china and see how things are run, they could have the best aircraft on paper but it would never get built to spec or at all.

China is rife with corruption and lazyness

we are fine. if The US was really worried about China we would know about it and we would be blocking all sorts of stuff from them.

i saw a demonstration at the unit level of chinese military and WOW they were a sad sight

alll that being said Chinese people are very patriotic but at the same time will do the MINIMUM as to not get in trouble (lazy)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Why does the OP suggest China has solved its engine problems? There's no evidence either way.

OP thinks the Chinese engine problems are fixed because they bought Russian engines AL-41 engines.

I don't think they're fixed yet. I don't think they need the Russian engines to get the WS-15 working. Their problems are probably related to metallurgy. Buying a new, finished engine won't solve that. However, the laws of physics work for anyone with enough time, intelligence and money. The Chinese have those in spades.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

That sounds remarkably like the attitude towards Japan at the start of WWII.

GD

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The point I was making is that the Chinese just bought a bunch of Russian engines which could help shorten the development cycle for the new engines they are designing. These functional templates would be worth the cost of the buy, because China is close to the time where they must act. They have a window and it is starting to close as the US Navy starts building out its autonomous drones, its new frigates and hopefully a noN-51 based LSC. China does not have 50 years to achieve its goals. All of the expense and hard work will be squandered by then.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
There is currently a three way spat going on between China, Ukraine, and the US. China is attempting to buy controlling interest in Motor Sich, which produces aircraft and missile engines among other products. The US is attempting to block the sale.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I saw that, Ukraine may well take the US side, considering the backing and support we gave them...

The United States has been by far Ukraine's biggest supporter since Russia annexed its Crimean Peninsula in 2014 and backed separatist formations in parts of eastern Ukraine.
The United States has given Ukraine more than $3 billion in aid, including $1.5 billion of military goods over the past five years and has promised to increase the annual allotment.

Source: www.rferl.org...

top topics

join