It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Michigan State University, the Word ‘but’ Is a Trigger

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Michigan State University instructed student employees to avoid using words and phrases including “but,” “I apologize,” and “no problem” — because apparently, they’re “triggers.”

Link

If I’m saying ‘no problem,’ that’s leading a customer to believe that they could be a problem or they could be an inconvenience to you and we’re just assuring them that they’re not,” Sheena Ballbach, MSU facilities manager and host of the training, reportedly said.

I just don't understand how sensitive people have become I guess.

Do they even have debate clubs on campus anymore? Hate to upset someone......

That whole "no problem " is totally corporate customer service 101
the fact that these corporate terms are now seen as triggers to some people is so ridiculous
we are being manipulated by language designed to maximise our profit making potential as robots that sell sell sell.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I've begun to try to say "it's my pleasure" like at chik Fil a, sometimes I like to try to emphasize different parts of it for effect, "Its myyyyyy pleasure"

edit on 22-8-2019 by funbobby because: fun

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I really apologize for saying this, BUT, it's not your problem...

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just say no problemo and then they cant say anything.

It's a Spanish word, any criticism would be racist

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
When I was in preschool I was spanked by the sitter because another kid told her I said the word but. She said do you know where your but is? I said no. She said there’s your but right there as she struck me. I never told my parents because I was afraid they would be triggered

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Until cNn reminds them that Spain is in Europe and Spaniards are white.

Then it’s a white supremist word and you can be charged with hate speech.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

So then saying "But, it's no problem, I apologize for the misunderstanding"....and then proceeds to fix the issue is now considered bad customer service. Maybe I am old school but if somebody in the service sector says this to me and resolves my issue, I am not upset at all in fact I am very happy. I spent enough time in retail to know the golden rule of retail treat others like you would in turn expect to be treated, even if that violates some corporate policy. One President of a very large company once said, if you are going to make a mistake, make it so it comes out in favor for the customer, not the corporation, that's good customer service.

I had I airline do that with me once they messed up, they apologized and gave me a massive credit for my troubles, I was happy how they dealt with it.

I remember a co-worker telling me he was upset one time because a company messed up really bad and they never even apologized, this is the bare minimum required, if you put money behind it goes even further.

What this guy is saying is just for snowflakes, with weak constitutions that are offended even by apologies.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Control the language, control the narrative.

That is all this bovine excrement is about. By attempting to control the language that is used, it is an assertion of frame over every and any conversation. It forces people, subconsciously, to think a certain way. It is quite literally weaponized memetics, and they are all aimed directly at us to keep us compliant and anxious about every interaction.

Then people wonder why so many people are on SSRIs.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

can any state or anywhere in the US ban words , if they are a constitutionally protected right ?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Until cNn reminds them that Spain is in Europe and Spaniards are white.

Then it’s a white supremist word and you can be charged with hate speech.

Great. Lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: oldcarpy

You really are a old grump... People are getting their wedding's drone bombed in third world countries.

And you all are worried about what some new lingo is.

Americanism polluting the brits.. You dumb bastards still praise a monarchy..

Then again your parliment is much more cool than congress

Yes, I am a grumpy old man. What of it?

You dumb bastards still praise a monarchy..

Yes. I bet you miss not having one. How is your democratic system working out over the Pond?

People are getting their wedding's drone bombed in third world countries.
[/quote

Yes. By Americans.

Then again your parliment is much more cool than congress

Our Parliament is mostly comprised of mendacious, self aggrandising, deceitful bastards. I don't know much about your Congress, though.

Probably the same the world over.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join