It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Michigan State University, the Word ‘but’ Is a Trigger

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel a reply to: pavil

I just don't understand how sensitive people have become I guess.

It is because it is getting to the stupid point.

Maybe California will annex Michigan.

Oh no... not in my lifetime! Those commie bastages can stay out west.

I cannot stand "no problem", it's lazy and inappropriate as far as I'm concerned. I called out one of my co-workers and he no longer says it. Too many people misuse the language and it bugs me.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
crazy , heard harmonics between 4000 and 6000 herz is also a trigger. messes with NCP master program.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I had a go at decoding the OP title too.

I ended up with..."I am a Butt Tiger".

Really, did we need to know this..?
edit on 22-8-2019 by Ironclad1964 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This is stupid but...

There is one phrase that bugs the crap out of me.

"Whenever I was little..." or "Whenever I worked at that place..."

Come on people! It is WHEN!! Use English grammerly.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
None of you should ever read any Sci-Fi from Gutenberg press.

You'd flat out die, the words would kill 89% of those under 30.

How sweet it is, and all free.

link   
My cat jumped on my keyboard, he is very sorry.
edit on 22-8-2019 by thedigirati because: cats

link   
But, he loves you all.
edit on 22-8-2019 by thedigirati because: cat love

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
As a Brit I find "No problem" is intensely irritating, particularly when the tw@t saying it to you has just been asked for something completely mundane and simple. Why would it be a problem?

Worse, is all this "Can I get...." business. Never a "please". What's wrong with "Could I have a cup of tea, please?" etc.

It is most especially irritating coming out of the mouth of a beardy hipster tw@t with stupid trousers and even more stupid shoes and a risible man bag asking for some kind of weird coffee type thing (I don't speak Starbucks so I have no clue what they are).

This is yet another insidious Americanism that is polluting the brains of our British youth. It's about as welcome over here as your godawful music of today (with some limited exceptions, of course).

I am sorry for this grump - it must be all this Brexit doom doing my head in. The bastards.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I took some of the letters in your OP and re-arranged them.

It said . . .

"DB is a fart monkey"

I have reported you to the mods.

Bastard.

I pissed myself reading this.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You wrote an awful lot about "no problem". It's really no problem to me what expression people use, id like to think we are all able to discern these phrases are used in an effort to be polite in daily conversation. If one is offended by my attempt (even if its bad) to be polite, it's on them not me. To then in turn censor my speech is now offensive to me, the censored party while you, the authoritarian are triggered about something else.

a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
"Kein Problem" - "Not a problem"

why should this be offensive. I use it almost everyday, especially when a client is asking for the extra mile and I hear the client is a bit uncomfortable like "is it possible" "maybe could you"... and it is like, three clicks away for me or I can do it "on the fly"...

You get that "That was not a problem at all, if you check your email account in a minute, you will find it. I will stay on the phone if you want, in case there is anything special you need further" -everytime. Even with grudgy clients, I just kill their bad mood by excelling in what they ask for.

It is not that hard to do. It is astonishing how foreign a good service is to some clients. They paid lots of money but never got things done for them before.

I really do not see any offending with any of the phrases in the first post.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

OK if it is something that might be a hard ask, but when just asking for a cup of tea or something? No.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
How about we just build 7 billion isolation chambers and we each stay inside our own little space until we die and avoid any contact at all between any two human beings. Really a small price to pay to avoid anyone having their feelings hurt.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I like big buts and I cannot lie!

It depends what the context of this is, if they are discussing communications strategies avoiding using the word "but" is an old and good one. When you say "but" it negates everything you just said, you are contradicting yourself. In most cases you should replace the word "but " with the word "and". For example
"I like you but you need to work hard" (I don't like you)
"I like you and you need to work hard" ( I am supporting you)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

but you can do the same with an iphone

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I can see your reasoning and I get what you mean.

It is more like a personal trait maybe, like using "um" (or "ah" in my language), a lot. Maybe not the most elegant way to answer. But offending?

I struggle pronouncing words with "s" a bit. One day I was shopping with friends and a friend asked me what I am looking for "schuhe" "shoes"... I kind of had a dry mouth so I messed up really bad. We laughed. She asked me again "what shoes" and I said "schöne schuhe" (pretty shoes). We laughed more and then a nother women, a nother customer tried to shame me for making fun of the disabled people who lisp the "s".

That was offending.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808
Where did I say that I was offended? The way that people who understand words react to the illogical and inaccurate use of words has nothng to do with the cuurrent jargon of being offended or "triggered". It's a different kind of reaction.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

You really are a old grump... People are getting their wedding's drone bombed in third world countries.

And you all are worried about what some new lingo is.

Americanism polluting the brits.. You dumb bastards still praise a monarchy..

Then again your parliment is much more cool than congress

edit on 22-8-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This stuff should be called old people doom. It only freaks out old folks

Yea they're snowflakes, but your generation was full of racists and sexists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join