It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon fires cloud half Brazil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

'The final judgement is coming': Worst rainforest fires in history sees Brazilian city fall dark at 3pm because sun cannot breach thick smoke clouds
It came, witnesses said, quickly and without warning. One compared it to the “apocalypse”.

Sao Paulo – the largest city in the Americas – was plunged into afternoon darkness after vast plumes of smoke from forest fires burning across the continent suddenly swept over the city.

Brazilians living in the coastal metropolis saw day turned to night for more than an hour from 3pm on Monday.

The fate of the Amazon is widely considered by climate change experts as key to the future of the planet, with the rainforest providing more than 20 per cent of the planet's oxygen.

A mazon fires cloud half Brazil

Sao Paulo at 3 PM
twitter.com... ampproject.net%2F1907301630320%2Fframe.html

The large scale fires and smoke in Amazon rainforest cannot come in a worst time, when we already have melting glaciers in Iceland and Greenland, wildfires in Siberia, and still unrestricted pollution from industrial activities.

It is a pity the president of Brazil Bolsonaro takes such a staunch anti-ecological position, that you see the fires are not only usual but even needed for the Brazilian farmers... Does he really understand how his country hurts the world climate? It is a suicidal mission, even a crime against the planet, and therefore against humanity, against ALL OF US...We are already burning in Summer from the Global warming, and we cannot allow such a grand fire on top of it...

The time is very short. According to many experts we have the time of 16 more months to act decisively. September 23 meeting in the UN will decide the further action ...I pray and hope this time it will be ACTION AND NOT TALKS!!!

But if Brazil and others keep burning forests, we may not have even those 16 months... The news is just apocalyptic...And it has nothing to do with how much Bolsonaro is pro Trump, or how evil the leftists are...it has to do with our survival as civilization, the survival of our children, and our only home called earth. The question is not a political one. The question is of mere survival.
edit on 21-8-2019 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

We're currently working on ways to be able to not only combat this, but possibly plant more trees than there were originally. We'll be able to transform landscapes and bring back wildlife so long as enough effort is put into it.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is bad, really bad. Think about all animals and reptiles and living organisms.... sad

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Jesus.... I honestly thought that was a "black and white" photo... yikes... Get your sh*t together, Brazil!

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

hundreds of thousands species if not millions in Amazon...but the impact will be on the whole planet and very soon. Only a miracle can save us. Hope that miracle happens

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Brazil's rainforest accounts for 20% of Earth's oxygen in totality so let's hope all of it does not burn to the ground. I read where they have always been using wildfires as a deforestation method for farming and mining, just never at this scale. I wonder if they have reforestation practices in place. This is very sad and worrying news.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

It took me a while to figure out this wasn't talking about the Company Amazon, and either a new product of theirs or their cloud network and something about Brazil.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Fire's are good for forests. Forests like them.
Everything grows back with improved vigor. All that nitrogen from the ashes.
Plants love that sh!t.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Don’t worry it will all clear up, about 500 years after people.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You say it has nothing to do with Bolsonaro, but you call him out specifically in your second paragraph, on top of the whole doom and gloom of the OP in general..

Your source also says its a dry season, and the the INPE has detected 72,000 fires, a record. I'm confused however, because in 2017, the Amazon was on fire, with the INPE detecting more than 270,000 fires. 2017 was also very dry, however not a record drought.

But I do not see anyone calling 2017 "apocalyptic".

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
WOOOW this thing is going on for three weeks and ive never heard about it until now ?
was there any news report about it?

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Brazil's rainforest accounts for 20% of Earth's oxygen in totality so let's hope all of it does not burn to the ground. I read where they have always been using wildfires as a deforestation method for farming and mining, just never at this scale. I wonder if they have reforestation practices in place. This is very sad and worrying news.

Part of the problem is that the President of Brazil doesn't really care too much, under him apparently deforestation went up 88% in his first year because he is a strong advocate for deforestation to use the land to boost Brazils economy. So he wants to cut it down grow sugarcane and make way for nuclear and hydropower. Apparently the Brazilian Foreign minister calls climate change a plot by "cultural marxists", the threatened to pull out of the Paris accords until the EU basically said you do that we pull out of our trade agreement with you. He doesn't even want to keep reservations for tribes in the Amazon.

Honestly if you're interested just google "Brazilian President Climate Change" and its becomes quite clear that he is a far-right climate change diner, and when your state is arguably on one of the biggest frontlines in the battle against climate change thats not good.
edit on 21-8-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

today it is a top news on BBC
www.bbc.com...

I also didn't read it before today, only wondered why all that war of words between Bolsonaro and Merkel and Norway (both gave hundreds of millions for preserving Amazon forests). Seems MSM decided to make it a headline news today when Sao Paulo was darkened.

On CNN too edition.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Is there any money to be made from these plans? Otherwise they won’t happen.
That’s the biggest problem in today’s world, pure unadulterated greed!

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Fire's are good for forests. Forests like them.
Everything grows back with improved vigor. All that nitrogen from the ashes.
Plants love that sh!t.

You’re thinking of bush fires not forest fires.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I do not know the numbers of fires by years. seems today they are more intense than ever, if HALF OF THE SKY of ALL BRAZIL is clouded as a result. See the Picture of Sao paulo, and see where Sao paulo is far from Amazonia.
Yes they do it for a long time, the burning of forests. The Climate change didn't happen for one year. The scientists long rang the bell to deaf ears. only now it cannot be denied anymore when everyone of us can feel it everyday without satellites. And the satellites show it perfcectly.

Bolsonaro is a criminal if he supports the fires, and doesn't care that all of the planet goes nuts and ultimately all die. And yep it is not political. i do not care about the Brazilian politics. But when they kill the forest, they make the glaciers melting, they pour oil on the fire so to speak...it concerns all of us and our children, and the children of our grandchildren...where is the politics in that? Damn it,...those people MUST BE STOPPED, NOW! BEFORE THE PLANET DIES AND ALL OF US WITH IT! No matter how high they are in hierarchy. They are not above the life of 7 bln people.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Is there any money to be made from these plans? Otherwise they won’t happen.
That’s the biggest problem in today’s world, pure unadulterated greed!

I was actually thinking about that.... And I did a little research today on how much you can sell lumber for on your land and what trees are more profitable, and which have quick turn around.

I'm actually looking up cheap property around here and humoring selling some of the trees to pay for it right off the bat, and then planting different sections for quick and long term investment.

There is plenty of money to be made here in a responsible and ethical way.

If you think about it, less and less young people are looking into agriculture, so demand for certain things like this might only go up.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I do not know the numbers of fires by years. seems today they are more intense than ever, if HALF OF THE SKY of ALL BRAZIL is clouded as a result. See the Picture of Sao paulo, and see where Sao paulo is far from Amazonia.

Bolsonaro is a criminal if he supports the fires, and doesn't care that all of the planet goes nuts and ultimately all die. And yep it is not political. i do not give a s..t about the Brazilian politics. But when they shoot at the forest, i.e. at the glaciers melting, i.e. against my kids, then ... the world must deal with them, and soon

From what I've seen, Antarctic ice is growing. Seems a cyclical nature between both arctics.

And what if the wind was traveling a different direction and Sao Paulo was not clouded over?

An edit to your edit: Do you believe the world is done in 12 years by chance?
edit on 21-8-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Not to be insensitive but is anyone else really curious as to whether any previously unknown ancient structures will be staring us in the face when it’s over?

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
this can't be good for the earth! i will be following this story. heartbreaking!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join