It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theoretically viewing the past...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I've just been having a bit of a daydreaming session and thought...

Hypothetically, if FTL travel existed and I travelled 100 light years away from Earth...would I then be able to look back upon the earth with a super powerful telescope and see what was happening 100 years ago?

What thinks the science fiction people amongst us?

Anyway....stupid thought....move along....

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Pretty much yeah.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Loque76

Just like a sonic boom.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
is this seeing the past or seeing a spatial recording of the past ? if the past , then it's also possible to hear the past. aka , speed of sound vs speed of light.

btw I find it hard to imagine that there is no universal time and that time is dependend on space. to contruct a 4d set vectors would be orthogonal if space is not orthogonal on time it's not a 4d set. for instance I can construct a 25 vectors to describe 3d but that doesn't make or universe 25 dimensional right ? And if time is an orthogonal set lorenz transformations don't work right ? pfff....
edit on 8212019 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

That would be one hell of a telescope... at least if you wanted to see any real details.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

You should travel 66 million light years away.. turn around and you would see dinosaurs.

But....

But, one huge caveat. Seeing the Milky Way as it was at the time of the dinosaurs is not the same as actually being able to see individual dinosaurs! Using current technology, astronomers cannot resolve any details on even the biggest planets orbiting the nearest stars. Dinosaurs are much much smaller than a whole planet, and NGC 4845 is millions of times farther away. Even the wildest theoretical technologies that anybody has ever imagined (such as using the Sun as a magnifying gravitational lens) would not be nearly powerful enough to see dinosaurs on Earth from such a great distance. By the time you get that far away, there are almost no photons (particles of light) left to collect, which means there is no obvious physical way for any aliens in NGC 4845 to reconstruct pretty pictures of old T. rex getting mowed down by an asteroid.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Seems like it would be much cheaper to buy a book and read about the past. And youtube is still available.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Reminds me of a 'Young Einstein" movie moment when he discovers the theory of relativity with Marie Curie...

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Keep digging...they are called the Akashik records and yes you will find the way if you keep working together.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Seems like it would be much cheaper to buy a book and read about the past. And youtube is still available.

Cheaper maybe, but unreliable.

Books and videos are all corrupted with half-truths and lies.

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I mean, technically, everything you see is the past....

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

you only need to go 88 mph

posted on Aug, 21 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wait. If you traveled there, you would see your present. We would be 100 years after what you see. ....I think...

top topics

join