It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men Accused Of Gang Rape To Be Freed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
A woman was gang-raped in Pakistan in a retaliatory 'honor' attack. The woman now says she is fearful after several of the alleged rapists were released from prison. Mukhtar Mai was raped in June 2002 by four men. It was the order of the village council who wanted to punish her family.

The assault and rape was ordered by the council after Mai's brother was accused of having sex with a woman from a more prominent family. Mai's family claims that the allegations were fabricated just to cover up a sex assault against the boy by several men.

Mai is from the Gujar clan. The attackers were from a clan considered socially higher, called Mastoi.

She denied her 13-year-old brother Abdul Shakoor had relations with the Mastoi woman, saying the clan fabricated the story to cover up another incident, in which her brother was allegedly sexually assaulted by Mastoi men.

www.startribune.com
While the five have yet to be released, Mai said she won't be safe in her village of Meerwala — 350 miles southwest of the capital, Islamabad — where the crime took place.

"I fear that those who were awarded death sentences can take any step after their release,'' a tearful Mai told The Associated Press, urging the government to provide her protection.

Mai, a 33-year-old school teacher, said she would not leave her village and vowed to appeal the court's decision.

"I will fight a legal battle to death. I want all those people who molested me hanged,'' she said.

Mai is from the Gujar clan. The attackers were from a clan considered socially higher, called Mastoi.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an awful story to report. I feel sorry for the victim of the horrific crime, and hope it is trailed in a proper unbiased court and given a real sentance. Too much persecution goes on in the world today and not enough is being done about it.

Related News Links:
www.startribune.com
www.marxist.com
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 5-3-2005 by phixion]

[edit on 5-3-2005 by phixion]

join