It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it guns or something else...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have been debating on how to do this since the last shooting but today will be my last free day for awhile so I figured just throw it out there and let the wolves tear it apart.

Why are we so obsessed with focusing on the tool used for the killings and not the why behind it?

Without the hand picking it up a gun is just some metal, some wood, and some plastic it can do nothing.

Yet politicians have focused the argument on the tool, when we should be asking about the chemicals in the water, chemicals in our meat, a pill for every behavior under the sun.

A lot of these chemicals seem to have come about more recently than my birth 46 years ago so why should I think there is no negative effect from all these foreign substances we are putting in our bodies. Heck when I was a young guy and ADHD was first being diagnosed Ritalin was the drug of choice yet not long ago I heard its not considered a good thing to give a child.
So what about the hormones in chicken and beef, what about the chemicals in our water supply (yes including Fracking wastewwater) Or the rogues gallery of antidepressants.

We should be seeking the why behind the act not just worrying about the tool that was used, so an actual fix can be found rather than slapping a band aid on a sucking chest wound.

My guess is Big Pharma doesn't want uncomfortable questions asked and politicians dont want to lose the payoffs from Big Pharma, welp that's all I got rip it up, attack me or what have you I am so tired of seeing the same argument and everyone defaults to Congress do something... yet Congress also was going to fix health care and save us 2500 a year instead we got a 400% increase in cost in many places.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It is part of the equation whether you like it or not. It's too late to change now, so I'm not saying you should lose your guns..just accept that it's a factor, and is, what it is.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Why are we so obsessed with focusing on the tool used for the killings and not the why behind it?

Name a tool which makes it so easy to kill so many. That's the basic idea.

edit on 8/18/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I've heard of some pretty bad things being done with fertilizer...i mean its a chemical more than a tool but serves the same purpose here right?

Edit to add: easier to get too if I'm not mistaken...
edit on 18-8-2019 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yeah. If you know what you're doing. But gunz are easier.

But then, there is also this:
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Name a tool that is used by the law abiding sane public to murder a lot of people....

Governments murder more people then anyone else, last time I checked. So if those in government start pushing to disarm you, don't be scared,

Be very scared
edit on 18-8-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Fire... couple Molotov's crowded night club, slow cookers those tools with the marathon bombing figured it out shouldn't be to hard. (no I am not going to look it up)

Basically what I am saying is there are options out there, and until we address the underlying issue then nothing will change we will still find ways to kill each other.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I'm not ascared. Until very recently. But it's my daughter I worry about, not so much myself.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Basically what I am saying is there are options out there,

And gunz seem to be the preferred method.
Because they are easy and readily available.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Pill / Tablet Press.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

Yeah. But that does not carry the glory of semiautomatic weapons. Or the level of death.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

hadn't even considered that one, how many have died as a direct result of the opioid over prescription.

Lord knows the VA loves to hand out pills rather than actually try and help vets.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If it's really about mental health like all the right wingers constantly say, then stop making it damn near impossible for most people to afford healthcare.

Y'alls excuses aren't lining up. You can't in one breath send thoughts and prayers and lament how it's a mental health problem, then the next second do everything you can to make mental healthcare inaccessible.
edit on 18-8-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Yea and a good part of that "glory" is a direct result of a click bait hunting MSM, if they had any integrity left they could go a long way to stopping the copy cats by not publishing the face of the shooter and probably only refer to them by first name X.

Its a multi-faceted problem of which the gun is actually a minor part, yes the worst part but so much had to fail for the gun to be picked up and nobody wants to fix that... just more pills, more blaming the tool without getting to the heart of the problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think we focus on the gun because it is something we understand and can control.

Human tools are impossible to control and to predict with any accuracy.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Its a multi-faceted problem of which the gun is actually a minor part,

No. Lately it would seem to be the major factor.

more blaming the tool without getting to the heart of the problem.
So, what's the heart of the problem? Exactly?

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Both parties blow chunks, if the Dems had a spine they would have forced the healthcare bill through without letting the republicans muck anything up, they were 1 vote off a filibuster proof majority they did not need the republicans but they wanted to make sure they could blame it all on the R's rather than doing the right thing and doing it the right way and taking all the risk but also the credit if done right.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a reply to: visitedbythem

I'm not ascared. Until very recently. But it's my daughter I worry about, not so much myself.

Well you surprised me. I didn't know you have a daughter!

I have one too, and a grand daughter, (My avatar)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

What has convinced people that shooting up a building full of innocents is a good thing, figure that out and you got your answer nobody wants to ask they hard questions because it might mean we have to take a critical look at ourselves.

Also I dont want congress to monkey with anymore of our rights, every time we let them chip at it things get worse not better, patriot act just being the most obvious.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Lack of intellectual ability. It's no different than all the people who insisted on blaming rock music and video games on the Columbine shooting because of their intellectual inability to comprehend deeper issues. They blamed what they were able to see and understand.
It's also psychologically easier for weak-minded people to blame violence on an object instead of admitting that it was the human at fault... Kindof like making excuses for someone's alcoholism - "My husband just drinks because his job is stressful, he's not really an alcoholic". It's easier to blame the job for the alcoholism than to confront the person themselves in much the same way that it's easier to blame guns for gun violence than ask yourself why people want to kill each other.
Then there's also the fact that it's used as a tool for political purposes, with the media playing right along.

tl:dr;
1. Low intelligence
2. Psychological discomfort
3. Political and media agendas
edit on 8/18/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join