It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraqis increasingly turn anger on insurgents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As the insurgency in Iraq continues to strike civilian targets, a shift in sentiment has occurred among the population. Iraqi's are becoming increasing critical of the militants and even have staged public protests expressing condemnation. The majority of the criticism in the past has come from Kurds and Shiites as the insurgency was viewed as a Sunni issue. However prominent Sunni's are not also condemning thier acts.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
BAGHDAD, Iraq - As more people lose loved ones to the relentless violence, Iraqis are becoming increasingly angry at insurgents, even staging public demonstrations condemning militants.

While it is impossible to precisely gauge public opinion, it is clear many Iraqis have grown tired of two years of insecurity, and some are directing their wrath at those behind the bombings and attacks.

“I demand that they be put in the zoo along with the other scavengers, because that is where they belong,” said Bassam Yassin, who lost his brother to an insurgent attack in Mosul. He spoke Wednesday after relatives of victims protested outside a police station in the northern city.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting to see the change in sentiment toward these thugs. No doubt the actually Sunni/Baathist insurgency will eventually die out, and the Al-Qeada one will keep trying. However as the public becomes increasing tired of thier activities it will be harder and harder for them to act. The security situation will not doubt improve and the pressure needs to be kept up.

[edit on 3/5/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
LOL, what do you expect. I would be pissed off too if people were always trying to blow me up.

Having said that though, i don't think the Sunni insurgency will be eradicated soon.

Also, one caveat, who was the news source and where is the link?

[edit on 5-3-2005 by rapier28]

[edit on 5-3-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Great story but a little late. The US public will never understand thanks to FOX and CNN but the locals in Iraq have never supported these bombers and thugs. Most of them are in gangs that hijack and steal to support their war. The real sore spot of the locals is jobs. They're not to worried about freedom. To them freedom is not worrying about what to feed the kids tomorrow. Iraqi culture isn't like ours but they do wish for peace and an end to this war.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sorry, The link was missing.

top topics

join