It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money Breeds Freaks!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Pet tigers, only feed them people that clean your house.

Youp, nobody should have that kind of money or power.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Most billionaires have huge egos and I do not think they would be content living in the sticks.
A lot of power over people comes from having that much money.

So once they have all the money they could ever want, going after power would be next.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I became a billionaire overnight i would the next day go to to work. To make sure my clients still had the transportation they need.
Last call of the day would be to a headhunter to line up smart people to help me lighten the load.
Day three move to a larger office and upgrade trucks.
Day four buy local homes so and offer to employees at vastly reduced rent so they don't need to commute for hours and arrive p.o.'d when they walk in the door. (Housing prices are unreal here)
Day five deal with this week's customers problems, they don't stop because you have money.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Day 1 as a billionaire : Buy 100 acres in the middle of nowhere surround by a electric fence, build a nice house, shooting range and workshop. Buy new truck, new guns.
Tell the world to go to hell.

Can I come?

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
You first mistake was using a lottery in the example.

Even the "billion-dollar" jackpots are anything but. After tax and withholdings, the winner is only left with a measly few hundred million.

Also, you are preoccupied with "INSTANT" wealth.

Many folks (think Forbes posters for instance) are not overnight UHNWIs... This may take many, many years... You may sometimes see something close to what you're saying when a Unicorn lists on the stock market or is bought up by a bigger company and the owner sells off his stake...

Bingo.

Yeah, there’s folks who have just randomly walked into F you money - but many/most people either made it or came from multi-generational wealth that taught them how to handle it.

I do agree you’re right that having a huge amount of money can make you weird - you get to create your own reality. Which might to some people seem very odd

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

And the innocence project.

That's good one too. I really think with that amount of money I wouldn't be happy unless I was doing some sort of charitable work.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
And 1 YETI cooler.

That brand or an actual cooler made from Yeti's? Because if it's the latter we can be billionaire friends.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Been there, seen it...

It's not about the things you can buy, it's all about having more than the other guy.

Pëace

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Been there, seen it...

It's not about the things you can buy, it's all about having more than the other guy.

Pëace

That is not the case with lottery winners as quite a few new millionaires spend the whole amount on partying with their friends.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Ohh..lottery winners. No they are a breed of their own.

My bad, thought we were talking about the elite...

Peace

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

The point of the OP was to illustrate that too much money can be a bad thing.

I think getting rich quick might cause many problems, but working hard and making oneself rich would be a gradual process, therefore a whole different bag of beans.

I was sitting here trying to think up the names of some people who were super elite's and didn't have an evil streak in them. I couldn't think up very many...not very many at all.

About the only one I could think of was maybe Paul Allen. (though he loses a lot of points for Ticketmaster)

link   

Ohh..lottery winners. No they are a breed of their own.

My bad, thought we were talking about the elite...

Peace

Once that lottery check clears, they become the elite.

link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Well, I was, but I guess I used a bad example.

I was trying to use an example that people could identify with.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

a reply to: AnakinWayneII

The point of the OP was to illustrate that too much money can be a bad thing.

I think getting rich quick might cause many problems, but working hard and making oneself rich would be a gradual process, therefore a whole different bag of beans.

I was sitting here trying to think up the names of some people who were super elite's and didn't have an evil streak in them. I couldn't think up very many...not very many at all.

About the only one I could think of was maybe Paul Allen. (though he loses a lot of points for Ticketmaster)

I, not being an elite, cannot imagine what they (the elite) may have to deal with on a daily basis. Obviously, envy (hate?), and suspicion culminating in unfounded negative assumptions being some, I would imagine.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Nahhh....between elite and lottery winners is a world of difference!!

Lottery winners seem to do with their money what it is for, spend it.

Elite usually get their money because of a certain mindset. They are in it for the power and the money is just a means to get it.

Peace

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If we assume the money is what drives the mentality your example would make sense. But I think it is more the power and control that drives these people.

Working from memory here but there was a psychological experiment once where they put a bunch of students together is a jail where one group got the part of inmate and the other group were the jailers.

They could control the group of inmates with punishment and rewards and they had to cut the experiment short because it had some undesired results where people would become power hungry and cruel...

Human nature I guess...

Peace
edit on 18-8-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: DAVID64
Day 1 as a billionaire : Buy 100 acres in the middle of nowhere surround by a electric fence, build a nice house, shooting range and workshop. Buy new truck, new guns.
Tell the world to go to hell.

You're thinking to small! Let me try:

Day 1 as a billionaire : Buy 50,000 acres in the middle of nowhere surround by a electric fence, build a nice house, shooting range and workshop. Buy new truck, new guns.

House sits square in the middle of 100 acres.
Range of a .50 cal Barrett is...oh...say..The fenceline.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Nahhh....between elite and lottery winners is a world of difference!!

Lottery winners seem to do with their money what it is for, spend it.

Elite usually get their money because of a certain mindset. They are in it for the power and the money is just a means to get it.

Peace

Some billionaires started off with nothing and worked for their billions and are still working...did/do they all have the same mindset?

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I would never put certain people in certain boxes because I hate labels. I have been around the captains of industry all my life and I would actually say most are very enjoyable people.

Some billionairs got lucky or were innovative and got them rich but the majority didn't get their money by being nice guys.

You have to be willing to cut throats if you want to come out on top. That willingness usually comes from an ability to, let's say, control your empathy...

Peace

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

100 acres isn't very big...considering 640 acres is 1 square mile (or a mile on a side).

And the range of a .50 BMG is far more than a mile. In fact, there are confirmed kills out beyond 2 miles.

ETA - So 2 miles in every direction would be 5,760 acres minimally.

edit on 8/18/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join