It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Opinion: Separation of Church and State

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

If you actually have an interest in it.. Look up nontheistic religion. Deities need not be involved. Some might even say they are especially irrelevant when examining religion in a modern context. By that, I mean how a religion will actually take shape and form in modern times (last couple decades).

One hallmark of religion is the conversion of non-believers. Global warming, if true, can be addressed in a myriad of ways without having everyone buy into the same story.

If you actually care about it, and not just converting others to your beliefs, I would honestly suggest supporting the technologies and processes that would actually make a difference instead of spending time doing things like linking CNN.

The amazing part about that approach is that you can get people with wildly diverse ideologies working towards the same end, eagerly and not begrudgingly. Talk about ultra-efficient new technology (not refrigerator cameras), talk about quickly biodegradable products (not paper straws), talk about automation (not solely in large factories). Talk about the things that everyone can get excited about and support.

Find the things that everyone can get behind regardless of their opinion on global warming, and you will be well on your way to actually making a difference towards the things you care about. Because I absolutely guarantee that if you personally came up with a new form of hypothetically clean energy generation, that even the most ardent opponent to global warming will be knocking on your door. You personally come up with a way to get 500 mpg on gas vehicles? Same deal.

And, in their mass adoption and implementation, it will do more in a single moment than years and years and years of impotent online arguments or empty legislation.

Good luck...

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

To say that I’m “very very wrong” is a bit of a leap. The dates I provided were based on congress passing laws signed by Eisenhower for the specific purpose of buying into the McCarthyism red scare. A single coin from 90 years prior doesn’t make me “very very wrong”. It doesn’t change the point that the entire concept was to promote the Christian god. On that count, I’m very very correct. But hey... if being an arrogant blowhard helps you get through the day then who am I to tell you otherwise.

posted on Aug, 19 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
a reply to: peter vlar

Does it really matter? Does saying/reading those words turn you into Christian?

Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Are your own beliefs and convictions shredded to their core?

I was raised catholic, was an altar boy for years and considered entering the seminary before I enlisted in the military so I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here.

If so, that says more for how weak your own beliefs and convictions truly are.

My beliefs are in the constitution that I swore to protect and defend, the same ideals that left me with more titanium than bone in some limbs. The same constitution that says were not supposed to promote any religions over other belief systems.

Anyways the inclusion of the phrase was a reaction to atheist communist influence, not an intent to institute a state religion.

Which is the crux of my complaint. When the overwhelming majority of the country is Christian, which god exactly do you think they’re placing their trust in? Allah? Odin? Or is it more likely the Christian interpretation ?

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion.

It's time for our government to stop imposing atheism on the public as it's a violation of the separation of church and state.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: GenerationGap
Atheism is a religion.

It's time for our government to stop imposing atheism on the public as it's a violation of the separation of church and state.

Also, man-made global warming is also a religion. It's a religion I do not place any faith in whatsoever. It's time for government to stop making me tithe into the global warming church.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Damn thats messed up to do that to your dog

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I agree with your solutions, but global warming is based on science, not religion. They are very different. With religion, you can believe whatever you want. With science, you HAVE to accept the facts and evidence, even if it goes against what you believe. It isn’t about justifying what you believe, it is about changing your beliefs to align with the evidence.

Religion is based on faith. Science is based on knowledge. There are many different religions that all think they are the right ones (clearly this is not the case) but with science, there is usually only one answer because it is based on empirical evidence, not prophecy and fantasy.
edit on 15pmSun, 15 Sep 2019 21:08:30 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap

Science functions differently than religion. Read my above post. Science doesn’t care if you have faith in it or not, because it is based in reality. For religion, you have to have faith for it to exist because it’s based on fantasy. Look at the Ancient Greek Gods. They don’t exist anymore because people stopped believing in them.

This is why religious people get so pissed off when their values are threatened - because it’s based on belief, not facts, so they probably subconsciously feel threatened when they feel like their belief system is in danger.

Also, whatever religion you are, you may have a feeling that this is the correct one. But so do Mormons and Muslims. If you can look at Muslims and see how they use faith to justify suppressing women and the like you should be able to understand others who look at Christian Extremists and see how they are using faith to justify negative things, as well.

If you can look at Mormons and understand that they made up their entire Book of Mormon and how the events in that book do not align with any sort of facts, history, or archaeological evidence you should be able to understand people who think the same thing about hardcore Christians.
edit on 15pmSun, 15 Sep 2019 21:26:09 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 15pmSun, 15 Sep 2019 21:26:42 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

IMO , Morality is Universal . What Individual Intelligent Beings Do with that Determines their REAL Worth in the Grander Scheme of Things . The Church and State Issue Should Also be On the Same Page with that for the Greater Good of ALL..... .:idea
edit on 15-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Yes, This line is being crossed but not by both Church and State, by Zionists mostly for reasons of power, control and money. they are controlling our country. Trump is an evangelic, a puppet in the hands of Zionists!

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Politicians (The Rich) have almost always misused religions to gain more money and more power. They have misused Christianity and Judaism to justify their illegal, inhumane and wild policies. Religion may be a threat to our security, EVANGELICAL TRUMP can be misused by ZIONISTS, as Bush was. ZIONISTS killed many of our people by bringing them to conflicts the make around the world. They killed more than 4000 Americans in Iraq to make ISRAEL safer.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join