It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standard maps and globes are wildly inaccurate in size representation - especially Google Earth!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The amount of ignorant woo in this thread is stultifying.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: billxam

Yes, I've been there also.

Out where I live, google maps has some errors. Blindly following can make for problems.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now, Now, come along old chap and don't be overcome by the over exuberance of one's own bombosity.

As for ignorance there are those of us whom can find our way with a map, compass and known landmark and others whom simply can not, ever tried to get to a pub on the other side of a mountain using a compass and map, you would be surprised how rapidly people's skill's improve.

(Especially when there is a promise of female company and they have been in the company of the other lads for far too long, sadly it usually turn's out to be one lady - let's just say no oil painting - and a group of desperate local's competing with the more desperate newcomers at the bar trying to catch the attention of the - let's just say not beautiful barmaid - from experience - and yes to coin an american expression that does mean most of us myself included have a degree of Shallow Hal in our nature).

edit on 17-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Nobody posted true size yet? Be amazed by Mercator projection correction...
The True Size Of ...

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Moravec

Coolest of all map's allows you to drag and drop your nation and resizes it as you move it toward the Equator and yes Africa is absolutely huge.
Thank's for that link I could make a child of myself for hours with that thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Not so good for navigation though.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well it's basically just Google earth if you zoom in, most but not all of the data from Google earth is still there but I would choose something easier to read and more accurate based on were I was if I wanted to navigate, an ordnance survey map such as we use over here in the UK is one of the best choice but that tend's to be more about the UK than the globe these days though of course back in the days' of empire we did have some of the best cartographers in the business - most usually in rivalry with there French colleagues.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

In the UK you drive on the wrong side of the road.

'Nuff said.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Haha.

Long history behind that, we, our former colony's around the world and Japan all drive on the correct side of the road but all the great mass of more primitive humanity still cling to driving on the other - wrong side of the road which is awfully inconvenient of them.

Joking aside here is an informative article on the matter, not sure how accurate it is but it seems to make sense.
www.worldstandards.eu...

(Kind of remind's me why they used to build castle stair cases in a certain manner so that the predominantly right handed defenders could swing there swords more freely while there attackers would be forced to use there left hand as they ascended from below).
edit on 18-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join