It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade bacon-aise on cheese burgers!!! What else would it be good on!:?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I've seen the pre-made stuff in the stores and it really grossed me out. I think I first saw it by Kraft and it just didn't look good. Well, I made something like this myself last night and let me tell you, WOW!. I like bacon cheese burgers with mayo only on one side of the bun (lightly toasted!), but you gotta PRESS it into the holes/grains of the bun, so it penetrates - much like spreading in hard butter into toast. Just spreading it on dosn't do it, it has a completely different texture for the bun and the mayo soaks in the very top layer of bread - you can totally tell the difference in taste & texture if not done correctly!

Well after cooking bacon I always save the very fine "crumbles" (very fine pieces of meat - size in between grain of salt & fresh ground pepper) at the bottom of the pan, I uses a super fine steel mesh to remove them - then refrigerate it covered by a little bacon grease. If you are cooking bacon bits (pre-cut into sizes b/4 cooking), you get about 5-10x these crumbles in addition to the bacon bits. These crumbles taste SOO amazing and I cook them into scrambled eggs when I make a large batch (plus onions, REAL bacon bits & more).

So I thought I wonder what would happen if I spread some of these on my burger bun then add the mayo. well, it was pretty darn good as you can imagine, it's odd that these seem to have more flavor than the actual bacon on the burger itself!. But this can be used in places where you don't have bacon but want the flavor. Don't worry if you spread some bacon fat on the bun while you are at it - in fact, it's awesome! People put butter on buns and grill them, do the same with a little bacon fat w/ the "crumbles". I'm not talking much, like 1/2-1 teaspoon of bacon grease for a large bun - this really helps if your bun might be a little dry (microwave ~15-25 secs on 20-30% power or lightly toast to golden brown and the moisture is brought out of the bread, even if dry b/c it's a molecular change in the bread chemistry) then spread on your bacon crumbles w/ a little grease - followed by mayo if you want!

For those who don't know, mayo is made with veggie oil and eggs, that is why it is so high in calories. It can be made with other oils, like bacon fat, beef fat (tallow), lamb fat and much more. I'd stay away from store bought lard (pig) b/c it's been deflavored & bleached & has some other "stabilizers like acids in it. I'm gonna try making some with bacon fat with the crumbles and see how it turns out. Now I just need to figure out some sandwiches/subs that would be good with it other than burgers! Suggestions? OH, FRENCH FRIES of course! even mixed with some ketchup (I like mayo/ketchup mixed on my fries!! did it before pulp fiction too...)

Just had a thought - use this on BLT's - it's like a double bacon BLT!!

J&D's Baconaise

www.amazon.com...

Home made Baconnaise

www.closetcooking.com...

Kraft

www.walmart.com...

edit on 8 15 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Try it on... bacon

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Ohh snap!
I’d baste my wife up in that stuff.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Why would you insult Bacon with mayonnaise?

Fricken barbarians.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Why would you insult Bacon with mayonnaise?

Fricken barbarians.

Surely you jest! now what if the mayo was made with bacon grease, like I suggested?

Are you not a fan of BLT's? Mayo is great with bacon in those! What about club sandwhiches! Both of these are great candidates for MY baconaise!!!

I could see this being very good on chicken breast sandwhiches!

You know the leftovers when you cook fried chicken, the stuff left in the grease, breading/seasoning & maybe some meat. This is very similar. I'm thinking up some ideas for those as well. If you cook breaded pork chops, they leave the same "cracklins" or whatever behind like the fried chicken - those are what make the gravy SOOO GOOD!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Mayo is the the lowest form of condiment. There are so many different ways to go other than mayo.

Stop holding yourself back, I believe in you.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I thought u where making bacon grease mayo

I did that once for burgers with duck egg yolks and beacon grease I wont be doing bacon grease again but I will be making mayo from duck egg yolks again that stuff was amazing

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

This is absolutely correct. I’d take a bacon-garlic-infused butter burger over mayo.

Also, f the bacon on top of the burger. Run a pork belly through a meat grinder and work that into the hamburger meat.

Mmmmm I’m drooling just thinking about it.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Mayo is the the lowest form of condiment. There are so many different ways to go other than mayo.

Stop holding yourself back, I believe in you.

Why thank you! I like various forms of mustard's as well. I'm just not exposed to much to be honest so i stick to what I know. Suggestions that you enjoy? You'll laugh but I started going to mustards (on burgers) using "dijonaise" which has, yup, mayo in it. Odd thing is that I NEVER at mayo growing up, NEVER until after college. If I had a sandwich I used Miracle whip (probably not much better) or even a light coating of butter..

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
I thought u where making bacon grease mayo

I did that once for burgers with duck egg yolks and beacon grease I wont be doing bacon grease again but I will be making mayo from duck egg yolks again that stuff was amazing

Very interesting! May I ask why not the bacon grease? I can see it being good on things like burgers and maybe other pork/beef sandwiches, maybe even grilled chicken as well.

I'm guessing the mayo is much harder when it is cold than normal mayo made from veggie oil.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scolai
a reply to: watchitburn

This is absolutely correct. I’d take a bacon-garlic-infused butter burger over mayo.

Also, f the bacon on top of the burger. Run a pork belly through a meat grinder and work that into the hamburger meat.

Mmmmm I’m drooling just thinking about it.

I've thought of that! so are you saying basically ground bacon (uncooked) miced into the ground beef? I've had similar thoughts but just mincing the uncooked bacon and working it into the beef.

One thing about burgers I found that makes them SOO much better, is the less they are "handled"/packed the better. I see people taking ground beef and making tennis ball size meat balls and throwing them from hand to hand "forming" the ball. This REALLY compacts them and it ruins the texture of the meat, from my experience. It becomes a homogenous pressed "meat product" like the pink slime we've heard schools serve for lunch. The best way is to keep it as close to how it comes out of the grinder as possible, but shape it and press it into a patty, not too much pressure, but enough to form & make it stick together. It allows the juices & seasonings to penetrate the meat instead of flowing off the top.

Also if you "pack" the meat really dense, I often get a bloated burger with a juice pocket in the middle b/c the meat's been packed soo tight the juices (largely fat) can't flow out & it creates more of a boiled meat texture all around that pocket, which isn't a good texture. I'm amazed at when I see people making burgers like this and they don't think anything about it, but when they try the other way, they notice a huge difference and love them.

Wendy's has burgers that are actually not pressed very much and they are pretty tender for fast food, It's like they extrude the meat from the grinder then cut them in squares and that's it. It also makes them cook much nicer/evener so you can get a rare/med rare/med in the center very easily this way.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I grill and smoke quite alot of bacon, and taught myself a similar trick.

Cook it till its extra crispy, crumbly and then dry it even more in the oven on just the pilot light heat for 24 hours.

You can pick up a cheap pepper grinder and load it up.

Instant bacon crumble/crunchies on whatever you want.

Works great on salads, hot dogs, burgers, whatever.

Even tried it on vanilla ice cream.

P.s. it's only good for a couple days tops. And cleaning the pepper grinder is pretty easy.
edit on 15-8-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
I grill and smoke quite alot of bacon, and taught myself a similar trick.

Cook it till its extra crispy, crumbly and then dry it even more in the oven on just the pilot light heat for 24 hours.

You can pick up a cheap pepper grinder and load it up.

Instant bacon crumble/crunchies on whatever you want.

Works great on salads, hot dogs, burgers, whatever.

Even tried it on vanilla ice cream.

P.s. it's only good for a couple days tops. And cleaning the pepper grinder is pretty easy.

HMMM very interesting! I'm thinking maybe using the really fine blades on a salad shooter instead of a pepper mill (don't have one ATM). It's basically an electric cheese grater similar to those used for Parmesan cheese, but a little bigger & has changeable blades. I know people who basically can't live w/o them!

Have you ever tried bacon w/ maple syrup? I'm thinking about making some maple sugar, powder it and then doing some kind of light coating on fresh bacon maybe for some sandwiches or different breakfasts.

bacon certainly is a wonder food!

Oh, about the pepper grinder, do you refrigerate it after use (before cleaning)? I'd put it in a ziplock bag and refrigerate it and it should stay good longer b/c bacon stays good pretty long that way, bacon bits are stored in the fridge for months & "Baco's" (shudder) don't even need refrigeration!

that made me wonder what Betty Crocker Baco's are... well, take a look:
Ingredients:
Defatted Soy Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Sugar, Artificial and Natural Flavor, Red 40 and other Color Added, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Corn, Soy, Wheat).

I think I found what is making so many Americans sick - soy, soy, soy - in the place of natural bacon...

www.amazon.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Usually, if you buy the premade burgers, god forbid, they’re the same way. I don’t like that style much myself. It tends to be thin, delicate, and harder to grill. A good patty should be 1/2” to 3/4” after being cooked. The packing will give the burger more heft while cooking (the last thing you want is a burger falling apart on the grill), and a proper sear at the correct temperature will help lock the juices inside. Just cook it 4-5 min on both sides, and don’t f’ing touch it unless you’re flipping it.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Why not just eat like a normal human being instead and you'd make less threads complaining of health issues maybe.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Basically yes it must be warm or it wont spread but that makes it awful for most things and it leaves your mouth coated if it's cold

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Bacon and Mayo is my two favorite things..
So I would say it goes on everything

new topics

top topics

join