It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Pardons Bootlegger and 7 Others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
U.S. President Bush has issued pardons for 8 people. Included in this was a man convicted of bootlegging over 45 years ago. Already in his second term Bush has pardoned a total of 39 people since taking office in 2000. By comparison his father pardoned 77 in four years , and Bill Clinton pardoned a total of 456. The presidential leader for pardons was Franklin D. Roosevelt's 3,687.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> WASHINGTON - President Bush pardoned eight people, including a man convicted of bootlegging 45 years ago, the Justice Department announced Friday.

The first round of clemency orders in Bush's second term brings his total since taking office to 39 pardons and sentence commutations.

Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush, issued 77 pardons during his single term from 1989 to 1993, according to statistics collected by the University of Pittsburgh law school.

President Clinton, by contrast, granted clemency to 456 people during his eight years in office, including 176 on his last day at the White House. One of those was the contentious pardon of fugitive financier Marc Rich, former husband of Democratic Party donor Denise Rich.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kind of sobering when you think of the Clinton free for all. To bad he could not pardon himself. Of Clintons pardons, 176 came on his last day of office. Marc Rich who has recently apeared beofre a panel in the U.N. oil for food scandal bought his pardon with the help of Hillaries brother. Its really the ultimate get out of jail free card and one that perhaps has outlived its usefullness. What would people do if say someone pardoned a Manson or Sirhan? I think that its time to rethink the pardon ability.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
What about Roosevelts 3000+. Whats that about...
Not trying to deflect blame from Clinton, as I was not impressed with his later years in office.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The only pardon he made that I really questioned was the Rich one. Hugh Rodham Hillary's brother was payed a large sum to facilitate the pardon. Coincidence? I think not. Ill bet you dollars to doughnuts that when old Hillary runs in 2008 theres alot of money from the "Rich" family.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
What about Roosevelts 3000+. Whats that about...

Well he was in office for 12 year and the depression plus a World War etc may have given him plenty of heads to forgive.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The only pardon he made that I really questioned was the Rich one. Hugh Rodham Hillary's brother was payed a large sum to facilitate the pardon. Coincidence? I think not. Ill bet you dollars to doughnuts that when old Hillary runs in 2008 theres alot of money from the "Rich" family.

I thought everyone has agreed that Hillary is unelectable. I personally do not know much about her politics, but from what I know about US politics is that she does not appeal to a wide enough demographic like Clinton or the Bush's did(allthough for different reasons in all 3 cases)

Well back to the topic at hand. Yeah I smelled smothing rotten with that pardon, allthough too tell you the truth even though Clinton did act a bit dishonorably in his later years(by lying.. he should have told the truth from the beginning but then again He's a politician, a professional Liar
) I still look favorably of those years, maybe just my leftist Bias talking but I long for those days...

new topics

top topics

join