It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man dies Competing in California Taco-eating Contest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Never heard of Mauritanian force-feeding?

Yum 16,000 calories a day in order to be sexy for your much older husband at the age of 14 or so!

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Trueman

A lot of people dont realize after watching people like matt stonie on YouTube they purge the 10 some odd pounds of food. The contest isnt about who can sustain the 20,000 calories afterwards, its who can fit the most on their stomach. Sometimes they keep it down if it's a moderate amount. But you'd need to be on par with the strongest man in the world to metabolize that kind of calorie intake. And even at that those strongmen eat 10,000 or so a day throughout a entire day, not in one sitting.

I competed in the WSM contest for 3 years in the 90's and have my own epic eating stories,..but if you want to see extreme eating records take a look at what a Sumo wrestlers eats in one sitting...crazy!...that coming for a former 10k a day eater...I wont use the word diet.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Aye know all about that however they don't make it a contest nor a tv show
its a way of life
Is that what the West has become? Where over eating and obesity is now a way of life? Part of our culture? Bizarre

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I mean.. There are worse ways to go..

¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: ketsuko

Aye know all about that however they don't make it a contest nor a tv show
its a way of life
Is that what the West has become? Where over eating and obesity is now a way of life? Part of our culture? Bizarre

Pretty disgusting. No one would give the same food to a eat free poor kids night.

1. 16 million American kids struggle with hunger each year. An estimated 48.8 million Americans , including 16.2 million children, live in households that lack the means to get enough nutritious food on a regular basis.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

How many of those kids are actually overweight though?

There are malnutritioned kids and kids with malnutrition. You can be suffering from malnutrition and obese at the same time because simply shoveling food in your face doesn't guarantee that what you're eating is any good for you and supplies the right sorts of nutrients to provide adequate nutrition for you.

In developing countries and in poor areas, the two problems -- actually not having enough to eat so you are starving and eating fine but eating not enough to provide the right nutrition are intimately linked and both are malnutrition.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am sure you get my point. a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Oh dear, well as Metallica might have put it: For Whom the Taco Bell Tolls.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Yes, you find eating contests to be disgusting, but personally, I find the entire fashion industry to be more so.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

No one would give the same food to a eat free poor kids night.

Well, maybe not exactly the same food since.. well.. its been eaten. And maybe not exactly the people who organize these competitions. Even there.. who knows.. The type of person to truly put time, effort, and resources into helping the poor (especially children) rarely do it for pats on the back. They arent doing it to virtue signal or for attention.

So, people do, in fact, do that very thing. I feel like someone who spent time and effort feeding the poor wouldnt proclaim such a thing, honestly.

The "issue" is that such folks rarely brag about it, for obvious reasons if you are at all familiar with people with that sort of character. They also frequently are Christian, which is a big strike nowadays.

For instance, my father spent welllll into six figures doing that very thing. To his own detriment, mind you. He was a Christian pastor who ran his own food bank, but that was only the very tip of the iceberg.

Maybe Im just misunderstanding though.. What you wrote could also mean there isnt anyone who would eat poor children if they were free, or for an exchange of tacos. The Masons probably have something to say about that.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, you find eating contests to be disgusting, but personally, I find the entire fashion industry to be more so.

I find both to be so.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Taco 'bout a scrumptious way to go.
edit on 16/8/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I guess I look at it this way: People have their hobbies, passions, and hangups. The things they love and enjoys doing while they're here. I've heard of one guy who built an accurate mockup of the Enterprise in his basement. For most people, this constitutes a complete waste of time and money on a totally decadent expense, but it was this guy's passion project and dream.

I watch the channel of a guy who loves to build with his hands and he loves fish. He's constantly tearing down and rebuilding an entire smallish house behind his own that he's turned into an aquarium gallery that he makes DIY projects in where he combines his two passions and records it all on YouTube for others to see and learn from. He has a 2,000gal, DIY pond style aquarium in there stocked with Asian arowana and freshwater stingray. That's multiple thousands of dollars just in that one project alone, not counting any of the rest. Is that all a waste? Decadent?

Sure, people are starving. That money could be put to better use in the eyes of the ascetic, but if there is no pleasure in your life and no chance to experience the joys of doing and exploring the things you personally are passionate about and want to love and explore, than what's the point?

I'll admit. I give plenty of donations to charity and just plain make things easier. We always buy double+ in school supplies to take with our son because we know some kids will need it. We do other things too, but I also make plenty of room for my hobbies.

But I'm not going to look askance at others who enjoy their things, not even competition eaters, as stupid as I think it is. None of us knows what they may or may not do on the side around their hobbies or pursuits. After all, charity as described Biblically is supposed to quiet, not boastful, and we all know it cannot be compelled or it ceases to become charity and becomes something else entirely.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join