It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interviews with people from Mainland China about Hong Kong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think this is the most interesting thing I've seen on Hong Kong.
Very interesting to see it from the perspective from mainland Chinese people.
It is worthy to note they all seem to have differing opinions on it too.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

MSM would take only one sided perspective.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here's a "news" site from Mainland China (CCTV)

CCTV News

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Really...those opinions sounded different to you? They all basically said the same things in different words...which go figure in communist China you are only allowed the states opinion on matters like this. Maybe the Hong Kongese aren't ok with how China operates its legal system...kind of like how Canada won't extradite if you are going to get the death penalty...because they don't believe its right to do.
I guess we used the same argument from California no less and human rights advocates objected

I would think it would have to be determined on a case by case basis for it to work at all lest people being persecuted by China would have one less way to escape.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Really...those opinions sounded different to you? They all basically said the same things in different words....

Not really, one lady said violence should not be used period, by either side. One guy said he supported the police regardless. Those right there are two very opposing opinions.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I didnt see her mention anything about sides in that answer...and the question was about the protesters so if she doesn't specify she means both sides what is one to infer? That the answer was in relation to the protesters the question was about. Aside from that tiny bit what else was a differing opinion? And as a follow up how were any of the opinions differing from the Chinese government's opinion?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Commissioner's Office of China's foreign ministry in HK urges U.S. congressmen to make clean break from violent extremists

A spokesperson for the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Tuesday denounced some U.S. congressmen for making groundless accusations against the Central and the SAR governments, and urged them to make a clean break from the violent extremists.

It is reported that U.S. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and some others claimed that "Beijing tries to encroach on their [Hong Kong people's] autonomy and freedom" and that "Any violent crackdown would be completely unacceptable." The spokesperson of the commissioner's office replied that the remarks have distorted the truth and made groundless accusations against the Central and the SAR governments, sending out a gravely wrong signal to the violent extremists. China deplores and firmly opposes such allegations, reads a statement on the office website.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

Most MSM are either banned or extremely restricted, and have been for a while now. Most are sticking to Hong Kong area.

Some how Aljazeera has been getting some good coverage.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yea I kinda thought it was cute how the one girl said she had to do research... I'm wondering on what exactly...most non-state sanctioned sources are banned lol....kinda why they all had basically the same opinions

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It would be foolhardy as a Chinese citizen to appear on camera voicing fullsome support for the Hong Kong protesters, given the government's record of executing and imprisoning mainland protesters.

It's hard to see how this will pan out. China has exercised restraint so far, as the world looks on. Hong Kongers were born with higher civil liberty expectations than their mainland cousins, who are more conditioned to sacrificing personal liberties to whatever their rulers deem the greater good.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the interesting interviews.

Regardless of whether or not Trump likes the emperor-for-life Xi Jinping (Trump loves dictators and authoritarians, contrary to what I believe conservatives should value), China is becoming a digital police state and, like Russia, is NOT our friend. They are implementing a social credit system that will punish people for everything from gaming to having friends with low scores. China has integrated surveillance in all of its technology (with no Bill of Rights protections or anything similar) and censors the internet and media. China locks up religious people in camps, attempting to "re-educate" them to the ways of communism. We do NOT want to follow in China's footsteps.

As far as the protests go, it looks like they are against an extradition bill that is at least somewhat reasonable, as long as it is not used to extradite Hong Kong citizens or people for political reasons, both of which seem plausibly likely to happen, but not for certain.'

I think it is imperative to allow for peaceful protests in a democratic society. However, it does look like things have gotten violent. I would propose a legislative solution that ensured that the extradition treaty does not allow Hong Kong citizens to be extradited, or people to be extradited for political crimes.

edit on 13pmTue, 13 Aug 2019 16:43:49 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks to China's social credit score system, you're going to have a very hard time getting anyone in China, under Chinese power to voice and honest opinion that doesn't align with Chinese State approved opinions.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

When it comes to religion I believe there should a separation from state and religion and there should no religious parties. I do agree re education are a far bit to much if that is to believed that is when it comes to MSM reporting.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Also I think that the whole protesting for the extradition bill could be an excuse to push for a regime change. Because if they would be protesting for just the bill they would had done it peacefully I don't find some of the protestors that I had seen in YT videos very peaceful.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChefFox

When it comes to religion I believe there should a separation from state and religion and there should no religious parties. I do agree re education are a far bit to much if that is to believed that is when it comes to MSM reporting.

You can believe it.

Christians have long known how China treats those who practice religion outside the strict auspices and control of the state. They've imprisoned, tortured and killed Christians over in China for years and the church survives underground over there, and you never hear about it in the press because it doesn't serve the narrative of the oppressive, powerful Christian church as persecutor and oppressor very well if it's widely known that Christians can and are imprisoned and executed in some places for admitting to the religion.

The current reports over internment are solely because the Islamic religion and Muslims are chosen as a preferred victim group in the media narrative.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

What does the OP have to do with Trump? The discussion we are having revolves around the Chinese folks interviewed about the situation in Hong Kong. Do you really think about Trump in regards to everything...does it also come up in conversation about what to get for dinner?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

He has probably sworn off taco salad bowls because of Trump.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: strongfp

Yea I kinda thought it was cute how the one girl said she had to do research... I'm wondering on what exactly...most non-state sanctioned sources are banned lol....kinda why they all had basically the same opinions

You research only what China lets you research! There wasn't any sides in that film but China's side. I looked because I wanted to see if there was going to be another missing person in China clip on CNN next week. You get those people out of China and put them in a free country like the US and give them residence and then we'll see how they REALLY feel.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox
I probably agree with you about a lot of things.

I think people should be free to have religious organizations in a country that are separate from the government. In communist China, religions are considered a threat against the secular nature of the government, which seems to be its own religion, in a sense.

At any rate, I totally agree with you, separation of church and state is great, I'm not religious, but I like how we have religious organizations in the United States that have their own governments, where you can choose to belong or not, sort of like choosing what lifestyle you want you and your friends to adhere to. It allows for more variation than if the state dictated lifestyle.

In China, the state seems to be dictating lifestyle and doesn't want religions to interfere. The government might be correct in their assessment of religions being a threat to what they want to accomplish. Anyway, re-educating religious people seems a bit extreme. I don't think the Chinese government likes dissent. In America, at least people can make some noise if they disagree with government policy.

top topics

join