It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Gnome star found, slightly larger then Jupiter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A small star was recently found as it eclipsed in front of it's companion star. The star is only slightly larger then Jupiter but has 96 times it's mass. This discovery has set a lower limit of mass needed to start the fission reaction needed to create a star.

news.bbc.co.uk
The discovery is fascinating, say scientists, because it shows how small an object can be and still trigger the nuclear reactions for sunshine. The existence of the star, known as OGLE-TR-122B, was confirmed by the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile. Sited in the Carina constellation, the stellar "gnome" was seen to pass in front of a much bigger companion star. As it did so, it dimmed the companion's light received at the VLT, a facility run by the European Southern Observatory organisation (ESO).

What is interesting is that although OGLE-TR-122B is a mere 16% larger than Jupiter, it is actually 96 times more massive. "Imagine that you add 95 times its own mass to Jupiter and nevertheless end up with a star that is only slightly larger," suggests Claudio Melo, from ESO and member of the team of astronomers who made the study.

What is remarkable, however, is that OGLE-TR-122B is actually smaller than some of the planets discovered recently outside our Solar System. Details of the study on OGLE-TR-122B will appear in a forthcoming edition of the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just really kewl, almost a new class of star in itself that has never been discovered before. Jsut thinking some of the planets discovered these days orbiting other stars are bigger then this gnome star. Really trippy to think of living in a gas giant, and having the nearby star be smaller then the planet you live in

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Jehosephat]

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Yes - very kewl.

RE: "This discovery has set a lower limit of mass needed to start the fission reaction needed to create a star." ...What are the implications of this? Any rundown available? (Or is that a typo - just went back to check text, now not sure if you meant size.)

Still good tho.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
In terms of creating starlike fusion on earth? I don't think it'd be very useful. Its got 96 times the mass of jupiter, compressed into the same volume. ALso, its hot. Hot fusion isn't the goal, its workable cold fusion.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
In terms of creating starlike fusion on earth? I don't think it'd be very useful. Its got 96 times the mass of jupiter, compressed into the same volume. ALso, its hot. Hot fusion isn't the goal, its workable cold fusion.

Nah Nygdan, not what I was thinking. Actually was just shooting my mouth off just to bring the post back to the top. Thought it was interesting and worth some attention.

...IF there is a new lower limit on mass tho, it may impact other assumptions.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I can just picture a site like Rense make a very hyped connection between this gnome star and Jupiter....

But still it illustrates we have to rethink our ideas about the minimum mass for a brown dwarf to catch fire....

I would like to introduce the idea, that in highly special circumstances, that a small brown dwarf , in close orbit of a real star, might find its core inducted extra heat from the electromagnetic drag created by orbitting inside the host star magnetosphere

new topics

top topics

join