It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish university develops "self healing" glass.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A Danish university has progressed in the field of oxide glass and found a way to make glass that reacts possitively to air and water.

Before this, pebbles hitting a car window fx would make the glass suseptible to further cracking because of water molecules breaking down the glass network thus expanding the crack.

This new tech sees that the glass uses the air molecules to "self repair" and regrow the cracked network. In some cases it appeared to almost fully recover.

Danes will continue to futher the development and hope that this tech once implemented will lead to the production of thinner glass thereby saving resources...

Self Healing Glass

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

That was certainly an informative read. I wonder how this will apply to car windscreens and their need for repair/replacement after a couple of chips.

Kind Regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Unfortunately, It won't ever.
There's too much money to be made by the simple crack and replace method.
The only way we will see this installed in a vehicle is if Elon uses it for his fleet or a consumer aftermarket's it for their vehicle

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

This could prove more useful for vehicle windshields than ever before. The cost of replacing cracked windshields is higher than ever. Built-in antennae, safety features utilizing hyper-sensitive cameras, heating elements, etc. Some windshields cost anywhere from $1500-2000 to replace now.

I read quickly, and without caffeine - couldn't tell whether this was done at the time the glass is made, or as a "coating" - if as a coating, it could be done as an optional layer of protection.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Great for mobiles and tablets if it does what it says on the tin.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

The only way we will see this installed in a vehicle is if Elon uses it for his fleet

Maybe they can also add a flavour to the glass.
edit on 13-8-2019 by InfiniteTrinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This would have implications for airplane windows as well, no?

I hear that airplane windows consist of three panes, right?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This would have implications for airplane windows as well, no?

I hear that airplane windows consist of three panes, right?

join