It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Draft of Trump Executive Order to 'Censor the Internet' Denounced as Dangerous

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Common Dreams is a far left website but it's credible with a high factual rating. This is disturbing. I feel like we're inside of that frog in boiling water experiment. Always taking it one step further along.

Oh, you don't mind lies? How about adultery? What about banning certain words in science? How about rezoning national parks and land for drilling and digging? You're ok with all that?

Ok. How about detaining immigrant people for longer than allowed by law? How about separating families? Children kept in detention indefinitely? Poor conditions? Ok with all that?

Cool, let's proceed. How about if I take internet rights away so nobody can speak out against me?

edit on 11-8-2019 by Duderino because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Does the FCC regulate internet content?

Or is just this something like Trump wanting to take away CNN's "license?"

Trump nor the FCC has to take away CNN's "license"
They are doing a good enough job on their own

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino

Cool, let's proceed. How about if I take internet rights away so nobody can speak out against me?

Isn't Twitter, Google, YouTube already doing that?

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Common Dreams is a far left website but it's credible with a high factual rating.

For some folks today credibility and fact are in the eyes of the beholder.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Neither Trump or the FCC can.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

According to CNN,

Oops...that tells me all I need to know.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
From what I can find it seem to be setting up sites to possibly be liable for content.

Well,
Just tonight the BBC news channel is reporting on a new move...UK based, I think, on making yet again, the big players like Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter and the rest I would presume, totally responsible for any 'harmful' content that is published on their sites, with fines in the millions.
The whole thing was very vague with no detail in what would be a seriously complex matter of enforcement anyway, but the reporter did say that this would need to be something only conceivable in an atmosphere of international co-operation.

However, Facebook has already been done big time, in the billions on privacy concerns in the US and Europe, due to third party Cambridge Analytica's activities.
So,
in my mind it's only a few steps away to be able to censor the internet by government decree.

One way is distinctly possible, and that would be way of corporate censorship which is outside of the law, (???) thus far.

All that's needed then is for a, what is in, (in my mind) a rogue administration to limit public information to be channelled through sympathetic media who only need to report on government appointed 'watchdog' monitoring of the internet.

Now, here is another story from the BBC back in July, with hints of Trump style twitter allegations re the internet giants,

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Neither Trump or the FCC can.

Did I say they could ?
Not just no , but hail to the no"
Are you altering my post , by implying I posted something that I did not ?

edit on 8/11/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
For some

Federal Communications Commission

How To Lose Your Station’s FCC License

Apparently , the FCC can revoke a station's license

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
For some

For others. CNN doesn't have an FCC license to be revoked.

edit on 8/11/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

For some

For others. CNN doesn't have an FCC license to be revoked.

Did I mention CNN in that post ?

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Duderino

Common Dreams is a far left website but it's credible with a high factual rating.

For some folks today credibility and fact are in the eyes of the beholder.

It is, which puts it a perceived category higher than this site which is not considered safe for instance.

Not so sure about the far-left bit though, what ever that means, it mostly runs published story gathering.

As for the story itself, CNN has joined the fray, and as Phage did point out, CNN is beyond government reach thus far,

edition.cnn.com...

In other words, it seems to be a story from CNN in origin, who don't publish lightly even though they are an international group.

Back in early July there was a think tank at the W.H. that invited those who basically spent time accusing the 'Left' of online bias falsehoods, I'm not sure that the guest list was published but there are some names that came out,

Bill Mitchell,
Carpe Donktum,
Ali Alexander,
James O'Keefe,
Charlie Kirk,
Benny Johnson.
All are very controversial propagandist figures on the, 'right' and not necessarily acquainted with any truths, yet were given, Heng Sangwiches at the Trump W.H.
edit on 11-8-2019 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

No. But you did previously.

So, if not cable news "services", to whom were you referring?

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Does the FCC regulate internet content?

Or is just this something like Trump wanting to take away CNN's "license?"

Net neutrality changes recently may have opened some doors.

I really hope the thread topic isn't a reality, but anytime freedoms are at stake I definitely try to keep an eye out.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

I don't believe this, but if it is true, the Trump is a #heel asshole mother#er son-of-a-bitch anti-free speech authoritarian douche-waffle. Pardon my language.
a reply to: DBCowboy
I do not believe it either, but if it happened/s you know everybody on this site will welcome it, justify it and blame the Democrats for it....
But yes, this site will justify anything dear leader says or does.

Yeah, I justify it just to upset DBCowboy

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

I don't believe this, but if it is true, the Trump is a #heel asshole mother#er son-of-a-bitch anti-free speech authoritarian douche-waffle. Pardon my language.
a reply to: DBCowboy

I do not believe it either, but if it happened/s you know everybody on this site will welcome it, justify it and blame the Democrats for it....

But yes, this site will justify anything dear leader says or does.

Buddy, maybe you should lay off sucking the exhaust pipe of your vehicle for a bit.

edit on 11-8-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

No. But you did previously.

So, if not cable news "services", to whom were you referring?

So , you feel that a "previous post" carries over to all posts ?
Again , you are reading things into a post that is not there.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Mea culpa.

So, to what point was your post about broadcast licensing? Is it of any relevance at all?

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Clearly no one understands how Trump thinks... he would never outright enforce censorship with an executive order, it's far more likely that he wrote up an EO aimed at combating the rampant online censorship plaguing social network companies. He has been hinting at doing something about it for months now, and it's likely that he wrote an EO which the left got wind of and are now spinning it into something it really isn't at all.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Ummm so if the FCC can punish companies for censoring people than that's pro-free speech right?

So why is this being portrayed as an anti-free speech EO?

Sounds like they are twisting it to protect the social media companies who are the ones censoring people.

I'm pretty sure it's a good thing to restrict social media companies ability to censor. They have gone too far in twisting everything already.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join