It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is killing more people than gun violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: LordAhriman

I am as pro 2nd as they come but I do agree with you.

Death due to complications from being obese is a personal choice and comparing it to being murdered with a firearm is apples and oranges.

That said, suicides need to be removed from the overall death by firearm count as they are self inflicted.

Justifiable homicide should be removed as well.

I am also pro 2nd, I just don't agree that more guns is the answer. It's always, "arm the teachers", "ban gun free zones", soon it will be, "arm all Walmart employees". I have never in my life advocated for firearm confiscation, I just don't understand the "need" some of you feel to own several. I agree with everything else you said. My status as a leftist on this site is merely because I think Trump is an idiot. I've been accused of being an elite (I work at Walmart so I can afford health insurance), disinformation agent, antifa... anyone who doesn't like Trump is apparently all of these things.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
As far as the "need" to own several, there are different guns for different purposes. A .22 rifle or handgun for target shooting and varmint control, a shotgun for target shooting, hunting or personal protection, a 9mm (or larger) handgun for target shooting or personal protection, a rifle for target shooting, hunting or personal protection, and so on. Need? Depends on how you look at it.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Fast food is suicide, just like riding without a helmet or a seatbelt.

People killed by guns are usually murdered by someone else.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
You could eat fast food everyday for breakfast lunch and dinner and it wouldn't make you put on weight if you weren't consuming more calories than you were expending.

Except calories in/calories out is far from accurate.
There's a lot more to the story.
rebootedbody.com...
www.healthline.com...

Eating meals high in carbs, sugar and fat will indeed make you fat and ruin your health.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I will always eat what I want. My pedometer shows between 20,000 and 23,000 steps per day at work, then I come home and either walk with the kids to the nearby lake and hike, fish, or swim. I'm burning calories like nobody's business, so I'll have my fast food treats a couple times a month. Let's be honest. Theres something about a double quarter pounder with cheese, or a big mac, that's very satisfying. I'll take a home cooked burger any day over them, but they feel naughty while they're also kind of delicious

That said, after work and kids time I usually make a massive, home cooked dinner. I'm a competition smoker, and I'm handy with frying and baking as well. We as a family never eat fast food except for on road trips.

And I'll never give up carbs. Because potatoes and pasta.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
As far as the "need" to own several, there are different guns for different purposes. A .22 rifle or handgun for target shooting and varmint control, a shotgun for target shooting, hunting or personal protection, a 9mm (or larger) handgun for target shooting or personal protection, a rifle for target shooting, hunting or personal protection, and so on. Need? Depends on how you look at it.

I've made it 39 years without any of em. I don't need them.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I would say that fast food is not what it used to be. I think people are more health conscious now than they used to be and things are generally going in a positive direction as far as healthy eating. Yes. There are plenty of fat people but you can still get fat eating relatively healthy food if you eat too much of it.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Everything that is killing people put together is not killing people faster than people are multiplying. In fact, statistically, early death is a FAR less likely outcome for the average person than living long enough to cause humanity to multiply way faster than humanity is dwindling.

So, frankly, all of this stuff that's supposed to be so hand-wringingly urgent as far as things that are killing us is really rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

IOW - Calm down. We're not going extinct. Even chronic burger eaters are gonna live longer than the average person would have a couple hundred years ago. It's totally normal to see an 80 year old stuffing their face with burgers and fries every day. They might be overweight and unhealthy but they're still alive. And probably have 10 grandkids and maybe even great grandkids.

Somebody wake me up when you have a projection that humanity is going extinct at an alarming rate because a few people are dying prematurely.
edit on 10-8-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
When you mention something bad about something a person likes to eat or drink, they go on the defense then offense quite often. People will take a pill to treat symptoms instead of changing what they like to eat. They will make up excuses to shuffle the illness to some other reason than what they desire.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
When you mention something bad about something a person likes to eat or drink, they go on the defense then offense quite often. People will take a pill to treat symptoms instead of changing what they like to eat. They will make up excuses to shuffle the illness to some other reason than what they desire.

Why should you even be telling people what to eat? Unless they ask. Responding to people who are trying to cancel one right because some people are stupid and violent by suggesting other areas of freedom should be curbed as well is a pretty irrational response. If you're pro-freedom, be pro-freedom across the board and don't let them manipulate you into fighting with people you should be defending.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Why should you even be telling people what to eat? Unless they ask. Responding to people who are trying to cancel one right because some people are stupid and violent by suggesting other areas of freedom should be curbed as well is a pretty irrational response. If you're pro-freedom, be pro-freedom across the board and don't let them manipulate you into fighting with people you should be defending.

Oh, I must have mentioned the bad properties of one of the foods you like which triggered an offensive reaction. I do not tell people what to eat or not to eat, I just tell them possible properties of food chemistry that can negatively be effecting them. I actually have helped quite a few people identify food chemistry intolerance over the last ten years or so. They were eating a lop sided diet that contained multiple foods that shared a chemistry they were intolerant to. So once they started getting the chemistry into a correct balance, they got better. The trouble with all the highly prepared food is that it has mixed spices which they might have an intolerance to.

Essential oils and extracts contain concentrated chemistry, sometimes people pushing these things actually hurt the people they are trying to help. I know some people who push these things as daily usage, while I know others who inform people to use them when needed as a medicine. These concentrates are medicines, not things you should take every day.

The same goes for food chemistry, some people cannot metabolize certain foods properly, it is a genetic specific reduced ability to make enzymes. A wrong metabolite is created and these become toxic to the body if the liver or kidneys get overwhelmed. If you sweat, the skin can excrete the problematic chemistries and help out the liver and kidneys. If not detoxed properly it leads to chronic diseases, including autoimmune diseases and inflammatory diseases like diabetes and collagen disorders like weak joints.

I advise people to keep track of what they eat and how it effects them over a twenty four hour period, both mentally and physical symptoms. If you mess up thinking it leads to improper enzymes being created some times. They have to identify their metabolic intolerance, I can only help them try to decipher what food chemicals to reduce in diet after that point. Reduce, not necessarily totally avoid.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Heart disease is the biggest killer in America.

I see the typical leftist response of ignoring correlations. What you eat is my concern when people expect me to pay for their healthcare via taxes.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman I've made it 39 years without any of em. I don't need them.

And that's fine, no one is saying you have to have one but you said you didn't understand the need. I just explained why some people need more than one if they're into them.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Oh, I must have mentioned the bad properties of one of the foods you like which triggered an offensive reaction.

Actually, my diet is probably a lot healthier than most people's is. It wasn't always but I have not eaten fast food more than once or twice in the last five years. And as a matter of fact, I do wish I had changed my eating habits when I was still young.

However, I do not wish I had changed my diet bad enough to the point to where I wish people could have forced me to. I still believe people have the right to do whatever they please with their own bodies (I'm big on self-ownership because I believe that if anyone has the right to own me, it's my right to say who and ordering other people around is basically asserting ownership over them).

So, even if I know (for example) that what I'm eating is bad for me (and why would I not know when I can actually do the research myself?) then I have the right to do what's wrong for my own health.

I do not tell people what to eat or not to eat, I just tell them possible properties of food chemistry that can negatively be effecting them.

I'm not sure I'd trust someone who can't spell "affecting" properly to understand chemistry any better than I do. Maybe you do and maybe you don't but I can spell it. Therefore, I assume I can go and research my diet and comprehend what I'm reading.

I actually have helped quite a few people identify food chemistry intolerance over the last ten years or so. They were eating a lop sided diet that contained multiple foods that shared a chemistry they were intolerant to.

The word is "lopsided" not "lop sided". But since you know everything I'm sure you knew that too.

Anyway, yeah. My point was that although fast food probably does kill vastly more people than guns, the idea of this thread is a bit misguided (and I know it isn't your thread so my post probably shouldn't have really been aimed at you anyway) in that if you're making an argument for freedom, you should be on the same side as someone who believes they have a right to eat what they want to eat. Why would a freedom advocate want to make an enemy out of another freedom advocate? If you have 100 people who like guns and you have 100 people who like fast food and the gun people turn on the fast food people in an argument over their rights, that's cutting the number of actual freedom advocates in half. Somebody doesn't believe in universal personal freedom in this example. If you have 200 people to start with and they turn on one another, none of them actually believes in freedom and are instead only advocating for the rights they personally like.

The argument should be "You should not be against my right to choose if you like having the right to choose yourself. Can we agree on this?".

And again. Maybe you were not even in this thread to say that fast food eaters don't have the right to choose. I did make the assumption that you were without actually reading what you wrote. I needed a springboard for my post and it was probably wrong to pick a random post that seemed to be agreeing with the general idea in the OP. I should have made a standalone post. But the point stands. Most people know (generally) what is healthy and what isn't. And if they don't, they have the brainpower and the resources to find out. Most people who eat bad food know what they're doing and therefore, have the right to destroy themselves with it if that's how they want to live (and die).
edit on 11-8-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Good, I am not going to waste my time trying to teach you things I learned then, evidently you do not need any help.

As far as eating healthy, that is genetic specific and what is touted as healthy in this country is probably making as many people sick as junk food is. Plant defense system chemistry can cause more harm than good some times. The people I mention things to actually go ask their doctors sometimes and the doctors say " oh yeah, maybe with your condition you should not eat that food" I actually tell them to ask their doctor after I learn what their condition and meds are.

But, oh well, never was a good speller, if people can't recognize my misspelled words, they are not smart enough to try to help themselves, although when it comes to chemical names, most people do not have a clue what I am talking about unless I put it in laymans terms and give examples of foods containing them. I usually try to look up the spelling of medical terms and chemicals I talk about so people can google them to verify what I am saying. I don't care about common everyday words, people basically know what I am talking about.

I took a bunch of medical classes to be able to talk to doctors in their mindset, it took me about twenty four classes to get a broad understanding on how they have been taught how to think.

Everyone has the right to choose what they eat, I am just an advisor to point out possible problems and solutions that might help them out.
edit on 11-8-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So if deepstate ops move their false flags to fast food venues, that might tackle both problems.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Well if there is one thing you can be sure of.

Trump aint going to ban BigMac's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join