It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Bang theory wrong? Star older than Universe discovered - threat of ‘scientific crisis’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   

THE Big Bang theory has been thrown into question after scientists discovered a star which appears to be older than the Universe itself – and it could lead to a “scientific crisis”

www.express.co.uk...

The Universe is thought to have popped into existence some 13.8 billion years ago when an infinitesimal point expanded in just a fraction of a second. The Big Bang theory has stood for the best part of 100 years after Belgian physicist Georges Lemaître first proposed in 1927 the expansion of the Universe could be traced back to a single point. However, the well-accepted model is now under the microscope after a team of researchers found a star which appears to be older than the cosmos.

A star know as “Methuselah star”, or scientifically called HD 140283, is situated about 200 lightyears away and has stumped experts.
Analysis of the star showed that it contained very little iron content, which would suggest that it formed during a period when the iron element was not abundant in the Universe.

Humm....interesting

Well now take that "big bang" science nerds
LOL j/k

What ya think?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

THE Big Bang theory has been thrown into question after scientists discovered a star which appears to be older than the Universe itself

Notice the word "appears" ?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This appears to contradict the idea you presented (it appears they've found a potential solution anyways), but if we ignore that and accept your premise as truth then there is the theory that the Universe existed before time. The entire notion boggles my mind.

www.space.com...
edit on 10-8-2019 by ManWhoWasThursday because: (no reason given)

"Put all of those ingredients together, and you get an age of 14.5 billion years, with a residual uncertainty that makes the star's age compatible with the age of the universe,"

edit on 10-8-2019 by ManWhoWasThursday because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It is said that Chuck Norris built the hospital he was born in, but that’s Chuck Norris

A star older than the universe itself (and miraculously situated in our own galaxy of all places) is not possible.

If this star is made of ANY element whatsoever, then it is not older than the universe.

If this star is proven to be, say, 18 billion years old, then the universe must be older than that and our time-scale would need amending.

People will be hard to convince either way though once they have a pre conceived idea in their head.

Even just yesterday a poster tried arguing to me that the Guinness book of records is a video game.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DustybudzZ
How can something that is infinite just pop into existence? Just curious.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   
There's more than one universe. The star could be an immigrant.

BTW...what is the name of OUR Universe?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The tabloids seem to have picked up a six year old story, and they didn't mention there was an 800 million year margin for error when estimating the star's age. Plus how accurate is the age of the universe really?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
The article identifies several possible explanations.

Cool story.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
It is said that Chuck Norris built the hospital he was born in, but that’s Chuck Norris

That is just not true.

Chuck Norris gave birth to himself...

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
That is just not true.

Chuck Norris gave birth to himself...

Absolutely Incorrect. Both of you. Undeniably, there was a big bang. And Chuck Norris was the prototype for it.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   

That's hardly revolutionary we estimated the age of the universe from the oldest cluster we could find at that point, now we found something older, big whoop.

That's only basis to question the big bang theory if you got no clue that that theory was indirectly proven by the expansion of the universe and that star doesn't challenge that in any way.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I estimate the Universe's age is 1 second divided by infinity.

1/∞ = age of Universe

That is because I theorize we are inside a black hole and so what we think is "time" is merely an illusion based on relative position.

The Universe just began.
Instead of going into it again in yet another thread I'll just leave it at that for now.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
How can something that is infinite just pop into existence? Just curious.

I didn't write the dang article LOL

And are you asking me ?? Where did that question even come from?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I estimate the Universe's age is 1 second divided by infinity.

1/∞ = age of Universe

That is because I theorize we are inside a black hole and so what we think is "time" is merely an illusion based on relative position.

The Universe just began.
Instead of going into it again in yet another thread I'll just leave it at that for now.

What is your theory as to why you think we are in a black hole if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

That's hardly revolutionary we estimated the age of the universe from the oldest cluster we could find at that point, now we found something older, big whoop.

That's only basis to question the big bang theory if you got no clue that that theory was indirectly proven by the expansion of the universe and that star doesn't challenge that in any way.

It doesn't?

And yes I very much question the big bang theory

Everything they think they know is just a small piece of the bigger picture

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManWhoWasThursday
This appears to contradict the idea you presented (it appears they've found a potential solution anyways), but if we ignore that and accept your premise as truth then there is the theory that the Universe existed before time. The entire notion boggles my mind.

www.space.com...

"Put all of those ingredients together, and you get an age of 14.5 billion years, with a residual uncertainty that makes the star's age compatible with the age of the universe,"

Meh...
idk maybe "relatively" LOL

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   

And you know better than all those people who dedicated their life to research it because...?
YouTube?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Analysis of the star showed that it contained very little iron content, which would suggest that it formed during a period when the iron element was not abundant in the Universe.

well then they will have to rethink this mater instead of the big bang, surely there is another explanation for this.

HD 140283, is situated about 200 lightyears away

i mean seriously, 200 light years away ? how could it form before the universe?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Not asking you, just replying to your thread. It is a general thought I had while reading it.
Glad I could make you lol.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

The Universe just began.

In this way of thought I'd propose that it is not even there, just like another strange loop. That's why mathematics will always lead to a road end.
Refference: I am a Strange Loop

top topics

<<   2 >>

join