It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to reduce Governor Rod Blagojevich sentence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Blagojevich was convicted on charges including wire fraud, extortion and soliciting bribes while governor. He served from January 2003 to January 2009, when the Illinois Senate removed him from office. Blagojevich began serving a 14-year prison sentence in 2012.

As far as i'm concerned they can throw away the key and let him rot.
We are all squabbling over Republican vs Democrats, but you see, there is no difference.

I really wonder if presidents should have the power to commute sentences. There are very few that I think have been just. I think
about a lot of people in jail for really silly things, having to fulfill their entire sentence. I guess chalk it up to life is not fair.
edit on 8-8-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Trump wants to use him as weapon. I don't agree with it but but some big names on the left still standby Blagojevich. Trump doesn't care about this guy. What he cares about is big name Dems patting him on the back and then other Dems attacking their own people. It would put a big smile on Trump's face.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I say "Hey, if you can't commute the sentence of few friends as president, what good is being president anyway? "

Meh, I don't care one way or the other. Let Blago go, doesn't bother me.

I would like to see him pardon or commute more women though.

edit on 8-8-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Strategy Strategy 😎🚬

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Frankly, 14 years in prison for trying to sell Obama's senate seat sounds rather excessive. Most violent criminals don't serve that kind of time.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Maybe Old Rod was given an offer to commute his sentence if he provides testimony against the Democratic machine in Illinois/Chicago. Lots of skeletons in that closet.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Maybe Old Rod was given an offer to commute his sentence if he provides testimony against the Democratic machine in Illinois/Chicago. Lots of skeletons in that closet.

I know its Illinois... but he could get ArKansied so to say before he gets out. Maybe a deep depression will over come him in the end.
edit on 8-8-2019 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

Trump wants to use him as weapon. I don't agree with it but but some big names on the left still standby Blagojevich. Trump doesn't care about this guy. What he cares about is big name Dems patting him on the back and then other Dems attacking their own people. It would put a big smile on Trump's face.

So the president of the United States wants to use his presidential pardon powers for political shenanigans and personal amusement?

Classy as always.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Well, he didn't do it yet. He's just stirring the pot. Might not have to do it. They may start attacking each other and Trump the whole time was just messing with them.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Frankly, 14 years in prison for trying to sell Obama's senate seat sounds rather excessive. Most violent criminals don't serve that kind of time.

The thing is he didn't really do anything other than standard political horse trading. I am not a fan of him, but he was most certainly railroaded and the sentence was excessive.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
I agree, he was thrown under the bus.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Im with you on this. Government corruption cannot be tolerated, he needs to stay in prison along with the Governor before him that went as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The thing is he didn't really do anything other than standard political horse trading. I am not a fan of him, but he was most certainly railroaded and the sentence was excessive.

I hear you, but frankly, I believe governmental corruption needs to be fully prosecuted in order to disuade others from corruption.
edit on 8-8-2019 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

true, he is a dirt bag,but they let him take the fall

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I hear you, but frankly, I believe governmental corruption needs to be fully prosecuted in order to disuade others from corruption.

The problem is there is a grey area and lack of inconsistency when defining and prosecuting corruption. Like I said, Blago is no saint, but 14 years was excessive and it isn't clear he did anything that isn't done in political offices daily.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Look what Hillary did, and they winked at her. He should get 5 years and she should get 14 plus. Maybe they will wink at Bill Clinton if he was found to have raped little girls on Eppies island.....

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Uh the guy is utter sleaze and was charged with several sleazy fraud charges.

He had been under investigation for 4 years

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

His wife Patty knows more.

Check her Family History and see 😃🚬

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

The problem is there is a grey area and lack of inconsistency when defining and prosecuting corruption. Like I said, Blago is no saint, but 14 years was excessive and it isn't clear he did anything that isn't done in political offices daily.

Federal prosecutors also documented how Blago tried to shake down an executive at then Children's Memorial Hospital for a $50,000 campaign contribution in exchange for his providing $8 million in state health funds. 

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Only thing Blago did wrong was try to get in a shoving contest with Obama. Obama does not play that game. He called up the FBI and ordered a take down. Obama did this to a lot of people. That is what happened because what Blago did is par for the course in politics. Selling seats, blackmail. They all do it on some level. When you control the FBI and DOJ though that person can decide who to take out.

edit on 8-8-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join