It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tool-Fear Innoculum

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I've been a massive Tool fan forever. Learned to play guitar and bass by learning their songs. When I first heard the song, I felt like I recognized a lot of drums, bass, and guitar parts, and it almost sounded recycled.

But then I started thinking more, and remembered that I've been listening to a lot of concept albums recently, some of which have a character developing and repeating themes over multiple releases. They''ll play the same riff over a different drum part for a different feel, etc. Then I thought, maybe they're looping in some themes and ideas from years ago to paint a bigger picture or tell a story...

"Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must"

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shredder36
I've been a massive Tool fan forever. Learned to play guitar and bass by learning their songs.

Adam Jones is a true badass.
Have you figured out that pull off/ left-hand pluck trick he uses in the 'Jambi' riff?

edit on 9-8-2019 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

I have, but it's very weird to play, though. For me at least. The first song I learned was Schism on bass, so when I learned Jambi, I treated that rhythm on my right hand with the same style 16th note triplets in Schism. It wasn't until later that I learned about the technique Adam uses to play that, and when I learned and started using it, it never felt as accurate or clean. Gotta keep practicing

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

There was a pre release teaser on youtube.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2
a reply to: FauxMulder

There was a pre release teaser on youtube.

No there wasn't. Not for the song. And even if it was how do you decide that a 10 min song is bad from 60 seconds of random guitar riffs.
edit on 10-8-2019 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

originally posted by: Shredder36
I've been a massive Tool fan forever. Learned to play guitar and bass by learning their songs.

Adam Jones is a true badass.
Have you figured out that pull off/ left-hand pluck trick he uses in the 'Jambi' riff?
It gives me the image of a giant metallic dragonfly warming up his wings in the sunrise. I'm counting 9/8.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join