Although I agree that, in a way, it is "not normal", there are many reasons why it is that way...
1. At first, the earliest UFO sightings and reports done at a time when people could realize easily that it was not anything from earth (that is, in
short, after plane was invented, because planes were not doing that...) were handled by "government". Just a little while afterwards, the military
handled the reports. This is a sufficient reason to make it a secret if security is involved.
2. If indeed there was a possible security threat, even unlikely, then it was certainly a reason to keep it secret, even top secret or more.
3. If, during investigations, they discovered some technology that could be a real advantage over any enemy (from earth, that is
), this is another
reason to keep it secret.
4. If no particular technology was discovered, and if even the phenomena seemed not to represent any kind of danger or hostility, it could still be
useful to be kept secret: it can then be used easily to distract a real enemy from its targets, by giving him a new subject to attempt to
5. Finally, if everything about it is false, if it simply doesn't exist, then it is not as such a secret, and the reason why they don't tell is
because they don't have anything to tell us!
Now, don't get me wrong... All I'm trying to say is that for nearly any reason that you can think of (these were just a few), if the military
authorities are in charge of the subject (and believe me that they are), then it is very obviously and without a doubt a secret. If anybody can give
me reason good enough for the military authorities to break the secret, a reason that good that itself would be sufficient not to consider all the
other reasons to keep it secret, then OK, I'm ready to hear it, but for now, I think it is, sadly, "normal" that it is a secret...