It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Led Zep what if

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Yah yah I know it's hip to hate on Led Zep these days. Yeah Jimmy Page paid homage to (aka plagiarized) a few tunes. So what?! He still played those songs with energy and passion in a way that stood out above the rest.

He also had quite the supporting team. How can you really deny the power behind the drums, the raw energy of the vocals, and yeah there are some groovy bass lines if you know how to listen.

I once heard someone claim that their 1976 Presence album was weak filler with not much to offer--the beginning of the end. Now that the years have passed, I can finally address this statement with objectivity, instead of as the devout teenage fanboy I once was.

Filler?! Weak?!

I think not!

I often find myself rocking out to Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine, 2 powerhouse gems that affirmed that LZ were still the gods most high.

I also once recall it being argued that their Knebworth set of 1979 was a lackluster affair, the final nail in the coffin for these aging, drugged-out rock washouts.

Again, I disagree! The camera don't lie and I see them putting as much into their craft as ever.

Their 79 album showed that the band was branching out in directions unanticipated, but welcome and interesting (Fool in the Rain, anyone?)

So I present the question: given their last 2 studio efforts and final tours, could Led Zeppelin have gone on? With or without Bonzo, could they have stayed relevant and powerful? Or would the 80's have chewed them up and pooped them out?

Here's a few reminders before you cast your vote:

edit on 8-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
So I present the question: given their last 2 studio efforts and final tours, could Led Zeppelin have gone on? With or without Bonzo, could they have stayed relevant and powerful?

No. The band's dynamic and ability to create amazing musical compositions was anchored in the relationship with John Bonham, or Bonzo. Sure the remaining members can still play together, but they could not create new.
edit on 8/8/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Early Jimmy Page:

What's really cool is comparing the lead singer of the Yardbirds performing Dazed and Confused around 68-69 Jimmy Page's performance of the same song live in Paris later in the year. OMG, what a difference.

edit on 8-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Yes, as long as Page, Plant and Grant were there they would have remained relevant.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Jesus, the lips-syncing in that video is as bad as a kung fu film.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Yah yah I know it's hip to hate on Led Zep these days.

What the hell are you talking about?

I rarely if even EVER seen someone hate on Led Zep. And if they do it's because they think mumble rap or Justin Beiber is music.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, as long as Page, Plant and Grant were there they would have remained relevant.

Were you trying to be hilairous [sic] or were you referring to their manager, Peter Grant?

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm talking about Peter Grant who did as much as the four performers did on stage, in his case it was keeping them at the top of their game.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I've never known anyone who hated on Zeppelin either.

So...NB, YES they could have gone on and been relevant.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the hate NB is referring to is mostly among the younger crowd who will knock down anyone who plagiarizes.
But I could be wrong... wouldn’t be the first time.

edit on 8-8-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Ever had intellectual property stolen from you? That's a knife to the heart, man. Just saying...

They were decent musicians, but they didn't create anything on their own. They stole the work of others and Robert Plant has an irritating voice.

Yeah, I said it.

ETA: My father looked exactly like Jimmy Page in his graduation photos. It's uncanny.
edit on 8-8-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
zepparrella. when the levee breaks

One of my fav songs by zep but after reading thus thread i came across these ladies...
Wow.. she NAILS the harmonica

B
edit on 8-8-2019 by Bspiracy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join