It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wasn't Napoleon 5 foot 6, not 5 foot 2 as incorrectly described?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Napoleon was 5 foot 6 wasn't he?

Napoleon's actual height

...At the time of his death, his height might have been recorded in French inches, which were a little longer than English inches. He was put at five-foot-two, but this was probably more like five 5 and 6.5 inches, a perfectly normal height for a man of his time...

NOTE: I was busy reminding myself of the 2016 Nice Attacks and the 2015 Paris Massacre when I stumbled upon someone mentioning how Napoleon may have sent most of the taller French dudes into the army etc and also how later on in the 20th century, all the tall(er) French dudes were sent into the Great War to die by their hundreds of thousands...

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Napoleon was not short. He appeared short because his guard were all elite and much taller than average, making him appear smaller. That's what I remember being taught.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

A lot of Napoleon’s opponents described him as short to ... make him seem ... less credible ... somehow? That’s what I was taught.

Europeans in general were shorter back in the 1700s anyway. I think the average height was 5’5” or 5’6” back then. If someone was 6’, they were pretty much giants. If you’d like to find that out for yourself, take a trip down to Fort Condé in Mobile, Alabama and bang your head on their particularly short doorways — assuming you’re average height.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Was his height at his death recorded by an Englishman or a Frenchman? That would determine the measuring system being used.

In fact, come to think of it, the old French system had already been abolished when Napoleon died. Any measurement by a Frenchman would have been in metres and centimetres. The author of the article has forgotten that point.

edit on 7-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Exactly what your quote said. In 1802 when a French Doctor measured Napoleon's height he recorded him as 5 foot 2 inches. However the French inch at that time was actually longer than the British inch, so when the British heard this they recorded him as shorter than average. In fact when converting to the British Inch he would have measured roughly 5 foot 6. The doctor also noted that Napolean was smaller than he had previously been.

At the Autopsy Napolean was measured to have been roughly 5'6" as well.

As others have said he also looked short next to his much taller than average guards, and the British propaganda at the time also contributed to his being thought of as short.

ETA the best biography on Napolean that I've read is Napolean the Great by Andrew Roberts; I highly recommend.
edit on 7-8-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Anakin.... What in the world is up with You and these strange threads of political leaders of the time, and their height?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

1,67 meter (5.47900262 feet (5 feet 5¾ inches)
In old french measurements:
Cinq pieds deux pouces trois lignes.

So.. The answer is:
No.
But it's close

The answer to the misunderstanding is in the translation from very old french to modern american. Different messuring systems.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   
According to French books and maps,Napoleon was a metaphor for cosmic destruction of earth,and was a fictional character,these were written right after his supposed death,sounds logical as his burial would have been elaborate,another story made up by the British

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   
does it make any diference how tall he actually was ?

new topics

top topics

join