It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sympathetic nerve control, vagus nerve stimulation, spiritual implications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is a particular subject that i know at least a few of you will be very interested in. In my latest search to understand a particular aspect of the sympathetic nervous system i came across some pretty good info regarding it's connection to particular spiritual practices. All that will be discussed in time. But for those who dont want to read a long droning post filled with personal experience, i will lay out the two main points immediately.

First, is how the autonomic nervous system and the historical energy practices such as chakra/chi and especially kundalini are either one in the same. Or are intrisically linked to the point of being so.

Two, there are humans that can stimulate their sympathetic nervous system VIGOROUSLY, and instantaneously.

onto the droning

To preface this. i have to explain why this particular ability is special to me. when i was 5. my karate teacher once told me to to relax my legs, while i was set in a basic stance. No matter how hard i "Relaxed" them. He would scream for me to "Relax harder". At some point, i relaxed so hard electricity shot up my legs, into my back, up my spine and directly into my brain. That sounds like a really intense experience in text. but in reality it lasted only a few seconds and was very mello. Like if i suddenly experienced a cannabis buzz, but only momentarily.

ever since then i'v been playing with it like a toy. that night, when going to sleep. i toyed with that feeling all night. starting at my legs. i would turn it off it on while laying down. And PUSH IT until my heart was racing and my entire body was buzzing. after doing this for a while, i realized that the feeling would build up in me, and dissipate slowly if i stopped stressing it. leaving me with a really pleasant feeling all over.

At some point, a few nights after, i realized if i let this feeling come on slowly, and consume my physical senses. And not overly push it. i would be taken on things i used to call "Roller coasters." i would apply a little bit of the energy feeling, and just relax my body into it. eventually my breathing would settle into a pattern and i would forget it completely, the feeling becoming automatic. somewhere along this state my body would start to produce a swinging, sensation back and forth, like a wobbling sensation. As if my body were somehow two magnets interacting. all in my mind of course. The feeling is, for lack of a better word, orgasmic. like being cradled by the universe. this feeling would reach an amazing crescendo, and then taper off after a few short minutes. And no matter how hard i tried to force it again it wouldn't happen twice in a night.

This is relevant. i wanted to fully type this experience out, so that anyone who has had the same happen or similar can reach out to me. Because in all the 23 years of life i have never been able to communicate to anyone about that particular thing. No matter how i abstract, or frame the questions, or describe the experience, NOT ONE person has been able to either understand it or their version of the experience is too alien for them to compare.

This of course has lead me for a long to to either assume i have brain damage or some anomalous property that has never come up in the main stream. i was wrong about both, theres even a movie about it! well kinda but Weill get to that.

In my latest google spree to find out more about this thing ( and just talk to others about it in general) i came across two ATS posts in the search results

"I have this weird tingling sensation i can make my body do"

And this one

What is this? forcing a tinglign sensaton down my head and spine?

The first one is more or less spot on.

The second one is an example of this phenomena manifesting abstractly. as in the experience is working on the same principles (sympathetic nervous system) but the person manifests it mostly through their head. its probably different. but quite a few later commenters on the thread have more or less hit the nail on the head

I've researched "exploding head syndrome," which I get now and then. This is nothing like it. I also don't think it's ASMR, mine at least. There's no "trigger," it can't be induced through physical stimulus or imagining getting head rubs, or by any other means at all. I have to make it happen on purpose. I feel like it might evolve into something else later, like it's a precusor for... I dunno, It's almost like a light switch; turn it on, and you're flooded with... light. I can keep it "on" for a few seconds, but it fades by itself. And as many people as I've asked about it, I've never met someone else who could do or feel it. God bless ATS. We all seem to have a lot more in common than we think, despite our differences. I don't have the ringing, though. Well, just normal tinnitus (one too many Orbital concerts; man, they love bass). I don't have the sensing of electricity (I wish) or the crying or pores opening or sweating or any emotional change. The "power surge" sensation doesn't happen by itself... well, actually, sometimes when I have the flu or something, I just wish I knew. Anyway, does mine sound like yours? Specifically, does it never happen unless you make it happen? The "pulsing" sounds exactly right...

There are people out there trying to figure out what this is. I KNOW its the sympathetic nervous system. but how can one just cause it to start buzzing? Whats the Evolutionary advantage of being able to fill your body with additional stress hormones?

Here are some particularly interesting connections to consider, straight from the book.

The nervous system is composed of two main parts:

The Central Nervous System (CNS) within the brain and spinal cord, and

The Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) ,which connects the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body, via little ‘river‘ like nerve fibres

There are different categories of nerve bundles within the PNS, is the AUTONOMIC nervous system of the PNS. This deals with the involuntary or automatic responses within the body. For example – digestion; our heart rate, sneezing, swallowing and breathing. All these processes are regulated by the hypothalamus

The Autonomic Nervous System is further divided into the Sympathetic Nervous System (activated in emergencies to move energy, the ‘fight and flight’ responses) and the Parasympathetic Nervous system (activated when ‘resting and digesting’).

(I cant post pictures right now so youll have to deal with links until i can edit)

www.powerthoughtsmeditationclub.com...

The diagram above shows where these major nerve plexus’ (or networks) of the Parasympathetic Nervous System lie. The brain actually connects to these parts of the body via the ‘big-dog’ of the nervous system – the big, fat, juicy, VAGUS nerve – the 10th cranial nerve (cranial meaning, out of the cranium/skull). The Vagus nerve is considered the ‘Holy Grail’ of all nerves. Where the major networks of nerves are, they correspond with the glands in our bodies

images.app.goo.gl...

As mentioned above, these nerve ‘bundles’ are associated with major GLANDS in our body. Glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream and are HUGELY important in the functioning of our bodies.

(Cont)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Omniview

Interested to see where you're going with this, so posting now so I can keep track.

My hubs has Vagus Nerve issues. Sometimes if he coughs for too long it triggers his Vagus Nerve and it causes him to pass out. I never heard of the nerve before the doctor explained it to us (after much, much testing to insure there were no other causes). It is extremely scary when it happens but according to the doc it's not dangerous (unless he's driving or on a ladder, etc. when it happens).

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have this. I’ve always felt weird talking about it, but I’ve tried expressing it to a few.
I don’t think I’m an X Man or anything like that, I’ve just had this odd electrical thing happen.
I attributed it to having PVC’s (post ventricle contractions) before, and I’ve popped out of sleep paralysis a time or two with it. Those are never fun.
I didn’t try “riding or building” the wave until a few years ago. I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack or pass out, but the first time I said screw it was pretty wild. It’s almost like crazy static electricity and you’re going to get zapped. I’ve always thought it related to PVC’s but let me know if I need an X Force costume or something. Lol

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Notice anything about the image depicting the seven chakras? They they are (Almost) an exact match for the vagus bundles that wind up and down your body and spine. Lets go even further

The vagus nerve is stimulated by the parasympathetic nervous system. Which is known as the (Rest and digest) system. It is the yin to your nervous yang, as it opposes your Sympathetic nervous system which controls your (Fight or Flight) responses like adrenaline and increased heart rate.

Hormones are critical players in the body’s chemistry and stimulated by the Vagus nerve.

They (as well as nerves) carry messages between cells and organs and affect many aspects of our bodily processes, from growth through childhood, sexual development, mood, to how well we sleep, how we manage stress, brain functioning and even how we break down food. In fact, the gradual decrease in hormone production over time, is what leads to the aging process. and Other hormones, such as '___' (Dimethyltryptamine)

Lets get to the good stuff

The Kundalini is the ancient description for the energy (or shakti) present within our bodies. It is said that the kundalini stems from the base of the spine and winds its way up to the top of the head, and is often compared to a snake or a serpent. ‘Kundalini awakening’ is said to result in deep meditation, enlightenment and deep sense of bliss. It is said that this Kundalini ‘snake’ coils 3 times as it travels up the spine. well Guess what The Vagus nerve connects precisely 3 times to the spine. Although the ancient descriptions are considered a little far fetched, it appears perhaps they used metaphors for very accurate information related to our wellbeing.

There are over 13000 studies on the Vagus nerve, and it is well documented that Vagus Nerve Stimulation can assist in a multitude of illnesses, such as treatment resistant Depression and certain forms of Epilepsy. The great news is that the most effective, natural method for stimulating the vagus nerve is deep belly breathing (also known as Pranayama in ancient Indian culture), meditation and exercise.

This is not a coincidence. This "Energy" Felt by mystics the world over, and the amazing sensations they cause. It may at least in part stem from having active control over this dualistic system that quite frankly runs your body.

Having control over this system has already been confirmed in mainstream science in one way or another as having unbelievable benefits. Longer lifespan, lowering the immune response (Stress hormones produced by stimulating the SNS) heart rate control, mental illness, temperature control, pain erasure, and thats just the start.

The 7 main chakras themselves are associated with organs that are targeted by these systems by people who in general had no idea about the autonomic nervous system and it's affects. They called it by different names.

In short believe the ancients were trying to explain the complete version of what i have been trying to explain for years. They needed metaphors. They lacked the medical science and the references. Metaphors passed into legend and a plethora of misinformation sprung up through mythologies from constant un ending misunderstandings.

I have no doubts this goes even farther. into the realm of metaphysics. What we consider the spiritual world. I dont know how far this goes but i know someone on here at least has another step to the staircase and we can build from there.

Here are some more personal experiences. i was screwing with my nervous system since i was 5. I was a baptist until i was 10. I had no idea chakras existed. It wasent until i turned 13 that i really understood chakras and 16 when i started meditating on them.

because of this. i always disregarded those feelings when meditating on chakras. I assumed it to be a purely Mental thing. With some imaginary force. i always felt at odds with the whole experience because there was nothing to connect me to my mental projections, because stupidly i had disregarded my physical sensations almost immediately because (How could something so simple be apart of something so mystical) long story short. i started applying SNS stimulation to my meditations.

i was absolutely floored by what i was feeling. It wasn't like the fumbling around i did in my youth. Focusing on my chakras didn't just help me feel random mystical orbs. i felt EVERYTHING inside my body in perfect detail. like a floodgate. And my body responded like it had been holding a breath. from my root chakra i felt my (uh balls) and the base of my spine. This sounds simple but it connected me with a particular emotion. or more exactly i felt THE CONSTANT BACKROUND BUZZ of anxiety and it's slow dissipation. I had become so used to literally being afraid all the time that i couldn't even distiguish a resting state from a fear response anymore.

I brought that electricity up my body to the Sacral "chakra" and felt my lower organ sack, belly button and lower spine. And lo and behold a plethora of emotions and hormones made themselves known to me. alot of them played directly off the previous ones. of my safety and security was coming undone here and i felt my guts rumble, and a few unnoticed pains dissapear. every second on that "Chakra" gave me an increasing sense of security i cant accurately describe.

bringing it up further and my gut rumbling increased immediately. As in i was stimulating my freaking digestive track to act faster and more efficiently ( i think) as well as even more emotional hormone shots to the brain.

This goes on and on. With the heart chakra i had sometimes felt results during meditation. But when i Stimulated my sympathetic nervous system and focused that feeling over it i nearly cried. Because i wasn't just getting emotions. i was getting some of the OLD fantastical emotions that dissipated overtime from my childhood. And memories associated with them. i spent the most time here.

when i got to my crown chakra oh #ing boy did i blast off. It felt like i was LEVITATING. those old roller coasters in the past were nothing compared to my entire body just flying, spinning and falling all at once in a cyclical type of experience.
and i mean cyclical in a litteral sense. it's hard to describe. But i felt the energy of the SNS/PSNS fly out of my skull and connect and surround me. i felt my house, i felt the people in the street, i felt the floor and then it came back inside through my root chakra and did it all over again. up and out and back in again.

2 hours later i finally forced myself to come back. when i removed my blindfold everything was, lush, brighter, i felt for the first time in years. My disassociation was both gone and enhanced in the best of ways. and i really feel like i figured something out for the first time in forever.

I'm going to stop here for now because i'm Running short on time. I'll post more even if no one responds. i really wanna find others who can stimulate their SNS.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

well maybe you do...

Plot of the movie wanted, straight from the wiki

Wesley Gibson works at a dead-end desk job with an overbearing boss, takes medication for panic attacks, and has a live-in girlfriend who cheats on him with his co-worker, Barry. One evening, Wesley is told by a woman named Fox that his recently murdered father was an assassin, and the killer, named Cross, is now hunting him. When Cross and Fox engage in a shootout, Wesley panics and is pursued by Cross. Fox flips Wesley into her car and then executes an escape. Wesley awakens in a factory surrounded by Fox and other assassins. The group's leader, Sloan, forces Wesley at gunpoint through the Gunsmith to shoot the wings off of several flies, which he does, much to Wesley's shock. Sloan explains that Wesley's panic attacks are actually a rare ability that allows him to distribute massive amounts of adrenaline to his brain, slowing his perception of his surroundings and granting him superhuman strength and speed. He reveals that Wesley's father, as well as Cross, were members of the Fraternity, a society of assassins

What controls your adrenal hormones?

The SNS

edit on 7-8-2019 by Omniview because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Want to read more of this. Saving for referral later.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I learned a ton in the couple minutes I read this over.
I have had nerve issues literally since babyhood, as have many of my relatives. I am 58 so what I had was "nervous stomach", "allergies", "anxiety", I was "too emotional". During and after menopause it became a daily crisis that I dealt with. And continue to deal with.

I do not understand why anyone would want this tingling, zipping feeling. I hate it.

I guarantee that these feelings and gut issues go hand in hand. If doctors would really talk to people with IBS/Crohn's and those with anxiety/depression, they would find a LOT in common.

I am finding daily bone broth and vitamin C to temper the issues. And I drink a lot of plain water to calm the nerves.

Yes it is vagus nerve and PSN related.

Following this so I can learn more.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I have a low level body vibrational bliss going after a fear amygdala overload. It calms the body down and self healing increases since you are never in fight or flight mode. You are body calm and logically aware no matter what happens around you. Many souls have gone that path instead of the slow increase of energy awareness. I recommend the slow path.

I learned Reiki after my body reached that level but I cannot push much energy thru. The person who taught me push double what I do. I do not like other people pushing energy into me since it overheats my nerve system.

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: katfish

Both are energies but different frequencies and amplifications feel differently in the nerve system.

If I push energy to my hands for hours it hurts instead of low level bliss feeling. The feeling becomes like needles instead of vibrating calming fluctuation.

Sometimes nerves centers in the scalp and above nose twitch needle like or over sensitive so you have to push the skin to blend the senses.

edit on 7-8-2019 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Yes an interesting observation. Which brings forth a question with regards to pain and disease, pain especially as its at least on the surface of no intrinsic survival value except perhaps to remind a person to favour a limb until it heals. Might it be their to focus the mind on a particular spot and will healing, via the autonomic nervous system. As any form of infirmity for the most part of human evolution can be a deadly occurrence, which leaves one vulnerable in the food chain.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I get the same, low level buzz/glow that will radiate through out when listening to specific songs and really enjoying the music. I used to practice bringing about that rush while driving to work because I would feel ready for anything afterwards. At some point I forgot, and was reminded of it years later during the initial stage of an Ayahuasca experience. I then did some personal research/experimentation and found that I could get to that same buzzing energized state through a little meditation and drawing it out like I used to do with music. That is it though, I never bothered to go any further than that. Sounds like I should revisit.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

OKay, you got me. When I was having "panic attacks" my guts would rumble like crazy. These surges roar through me and for 2 hours or so I feel like I am in knots. Then suddenly the knots relax and I feel actually good.

Never occurred to me that these attacks were a way to heal my body. I assumed my body was fighting the surges.

They were/are triggered (in me) by allergens, foods, molds, pollen. Carbs especially. When I am real sensitive, grocery store refrigeration areas (they always leak freon or whatever) can make me very dizzy and scared. I had to start shopping at a tiny local grocery so I could buy 3 items, walk out and breathe, buy 4 items, etc. People, esp those with perfume or febreez type stuff make me ill. I sense the feelings in the back of my nose, and along my cheeks.

I am tempering the feelings by drinking at least 8 oz of homemade bone broth a day. Living with this made me a hermit from 2015 to 2019. Nothing else worked.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I owe you. This answered all my questions. I have this and have had it for most of my life. Now I know. You literally were an answer to a prayer.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

. My pleasure to be helpful to another soul.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

I agree. Sound can change the vibration and heat in the nerve system.

Even when the sound is Ultrasound.

Tuning the Brain-TUS
TUS - Transcranial Ultrasound
www.quantumconsciousness.org...

Kinda weird that the medical establishment do not do more research on TUS since it should be a good fix for the Alzheimer’s patience that suffer from microtubules broken down as ‘tau’ protein. The Synapses in the brain is built up by microtubules.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I can no longer listen to music very much. I used to listen, sing, play piano all the time. Now I have to be careful. If I listen too much or too long, I feel things so intensely I get ill. Shivers, chills, ringing in my head.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The hearing system in the body can be activated both by outer hearing and inner hearing. I was once in a state of being where the unconsciousness was allowed to send information so I heard without the information coming thru the ears.

This is what I would do if I was having the issue:

I would check the ears for damage. If there is no damage it is more likely it is a inner hearing issue where outside stimuli like music cause feedback in the brain. Scan the brain if you can get someone to trouble shoot the brain in real time and see what happens when you experience the Shivers, chills, ringing in your head.

If nobody listens see if you can find a Reiki, Yogi, Shaman, Buddhist monk who knows about energetic body states and third eye recalibrations.

posted on Aug, 22 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Perhaps the vargas nerve is the message carrier, and how we are controlled, by our true overlords: gut bacteria and mitochondria ?

new topics

top topics

join