It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence? P&G Takes $8 billion Non-cash Writedown (Gillette)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Coincide nce? After Gillette’s Toxic Masculinity Campaign, Company Takes $8 billion Non-cash Writedown

Wading into progressive politics comes at a price, especially when doing so involves telling your largest consumer base that they’re terrible people.

Earlier this year, Proctor and Gamble’s Gillette launched a campaign against the much maligned and arguably completely fictional “toxic masculinity.” The campaign was widely and rightly criticized.

According to Reuters, P&G reported a $5.24 billion net loss:

P&G reported a net loss of about $5.24 billion, or $2.12 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, due to an $8 billion non-cash writedown of Gillette. For the same period last year, P&G’s net income was $1.89 billion, or 72 cents per share.

Cincinnati-based P&G, which operates in 80 countries, sells Gillette razors, gels and foams worldwide and said the writedown was due primarily to currency fluctuations – enduring strength in the U.S. economy in recent years has strengthened the dollar. The charge was also driven by more competition over the past three years and a shrinking market for blades and razors as consumers in developed markets shave less frequently. Net sales in the grooming business, which includes Gillette, have declined in 11 out of the last 12 quarters.

“Initial carrying values for Gillette were established nearly 14 years ago in 2005. … New competitors have entered at prices below the category average,” Chief Financial Officer Jon Moeller said on a call.

Gillette has lost a fair amount of business to competitors like Dollar Shave Club. The toxic masculinity campaign was an attempt to gain favor with the millennial crowd and not one its CEO regrets.

Oh, boo hoo. My heart bleeds. The twits thought they would "gain favor" with the millennial crowd. Well, you didn't.

That'll make large companies think twice about pandering to unnecessary nonsense.
edit on 6-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I sto- using their products at the start of that BS campaign. Not coming back either

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am married to a Yeti wermen.
She ain't gonna be shavin' no more and they can take their commie lotions and powders and sink'em in the landfill I built out back.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Nucularatified field distortion caused a double post.
I blame science.
edit on 6-8-2019 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

I chalk it up to hated of the new england patriots

Just my opinion tho

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I always thought that a guy with a beard appeared to be more masculine. This does not make much sense. If the antimasculine threat was to do anything, it would mean more people needed to shave.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
They regret it just won't admit it. Glad to their business getting parsed out to better companies.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There are too many other razor options so FU Gillette I am never going back. I used to support them because they were owned by P&G which is based in my home town of Cincinnati. Now I question using any P&G product.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's a bit of stretch of the imagination to attribute the change of the razor market to "progressive policies". The market is changing. That's just the way it is. People have beards and people buy cheaper razors online. Gillette are being out-completed in a changing market.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Let's not forget their oh-so-woke sequel:

P&G apparently thinks the cost is worth it: Gillette CEO: Losing customers over #MeToo campaign is 'price worth paying'

I still think this is all simply pandering to the Trans Agenda. The "first shave" ad is obviously so; the "toxic masculinity" less obvious, but in the real world, men who identify as women display the absolute greatest toxic masculinity -- regardless of how they dress and/or adorn themselves!

P&G is a corporate sponsor for The Equality Act: Equality Act Reaches 100 Corporate Cosponsors

Major corporations in the HRC Business Coalition for the Equality Act include Abercrombie & Fitch Co.; Accenture; Adobe Systems Inc.; Advanced Micro Devices Inc.; Airbnb Inc.; Alcoa Inc.; Amazon.com Inc.; American Airlines; American Eagle Outfitters; American Express Global Business Travel; Apple Inc.; Arconic; Ascena Retail Group Inc.; Automatic Data Processing Inc.; Bain & Co. Inc.; Bank of America; Best Buy Co. Inc.; Biogen; Boehringer Ingelheim USA Corp.; Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.; Boston Scientific Corp.; Broadridge Financial Solutions Inc.; Brown-Forman Corp.; CA Technologies Inc.; Caesars Entertainment Corp.; Capital One Financial Corp.; Cardinal Health Inc.; Cargill Inc.; Chevron Corp.; Choice Hotels International Inc.; Cisco Systems Inc.; The Coca-Cola Co.; Corning Inc.; Cox Enterprises Inc.; CVS Health Corp.; Darden Restaurants Inc.; Delhaize America Inc.; Diageo North America; The Dow Chemical Co.; Dropbox Inc.; E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Co. (DuPont); eBay Inc.; EMC Corp.; Facebook Inc.; Gap Inc.; General Electric Co.; General Mills Inc.; Google Inc.; HERE North America LLC; The Hershey Company; Hewlett Packard Enterprises; Hilton Inc.; HP Inc.; HSN Inc.; Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP; Hyatt Hotels Corp.; IBM Corp.; Intel Corp.; InterContinental Hotels Group Americas; Johnson & Johnson; JP Morgan Chase & Co.; Kaiser Permanente; Kellogg Co.; Kenneth Cole Productions; Levi Strauss & Co.; Macy's Inc.; Marriott International Inc.; MasterCard Inc.; Microsoft Corp.; Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams; Monsanto Co.; Moody's Corp.; Nationwide; Navigant Consulting Inc.; Nike Inc.; Northrop Grumman Corp.; Office Depot Inc.; Oracle Corp.; Orbitz Worldwide Inc.; Paul Hastings LLP; PepsiCo Inc.; Procter & Gamble Co.; Pure Storage Inc.; Qualcomm Inc.; Replacements Ltd.; S&P Global Inc.; Salesforce; SAP America Inc.; Sodexo Inc.; Symantec Corp.; Synchrony Financial; T-Mobile USA Inc.; Target Corp.; Tech Data Corp.; TIAA; Twitter Inc.; Uber Technologies Inc; Under Armour Inc; Unilever; Warby Parker; WeddingWire Inc.; Whirlpool Corporation; Williams-Sonoma Inc.; and Xerox Corp.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
It's a bit of stretch of the imagination to attribute the change of the razor market to "progressive policies". The market is changing. That's just the way it is. People have beards and people buy cheaper razors online. Gillette are being out-completed in a changing market.

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all, On this thread alone I’m the 3rd previously loyal customer of Gillette who after seeing that ad decided to never buy their product again.
Since I started shaving over 20 years ago I had never purchased another brand, I try to avoid P&G altogether now but will avoid Gillette like it’s poison, have even told a guy I saw buying them not to, told him Schick was better, he tool the Gillette razors back on the shelf and said he’d give Schick a go. I also told him to check out the ad on YouTube as he hadn’t heard about it

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Note to the CEO of Gillette - Blow Mi , I'll Shave with a Piece of Freakin ' Worked Flint if I have to , who in Reality Needs Your EXACT Brand to Shave their Faces ? >...Duh ...?

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Real men grow a beard, and keep it neat.

The basement dwelling children these adverts were targeting, can only grow sporadic patches of brillo pads from their neck up, and don't consider personal hygiene a priority anyway.

This could have only ended as it has.

edit on 7-8-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join