It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence and Right-Wing politics.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There is a growing problem and it feels like something that needs to be discussed properly, that problem is the link between the political far right and violence.

By now am sure everyone is aware of the shooting El-Paso shooting that has so far claimed 22 lives and the “manifesto” written by the perpetrator, Patrick Crusius. The manifesto I found to be as interesting as it is horrifying, it touches on several issues that are prominent in the thinking of the political right. In the manifesto he talks about subjects that are at times discussed by the membership of this site as political issues such as the perceived “White genocide”, he talks about “the Hispanic invasion” and “Open boarders” along with the dangers of the democrats. He makes a special effort to defend Trump by highlighting that his beliefs predate Trump again something I find to be interesting. These are all very much themes that I see discussed by the political right on an almost daily basis and I think that there has to be an open discussion about how the political right ideology can lead to violence.

This is by no means to be confused with a claim that I am equating holding politically right views with being violent. I think the best comparison to make would be with Islam. I do not believe that all Muslims are terrorists or sympathise with violence, just like I don’t believe that everyone on the political right support this action or are sympathetic to it. It’s also important to recognise that violence is not unique to the political right, the left have been guilty of it also such as the recent Dayton shooter. So, I want to be very clear that I recognise that violence is a problem along the spectrum of political ideology, but I am writing this thread specifically to look at this phenomenon in regard to the political right.

In the aftermath of these attacks the conversation always seems to be about mental health something which I personally disagree with. While I do acknowledge that mental health could be a factor, I believe that what’s more of a factor is the ideology that pushes someone to pull the trigger. The mental health problem is in my view a red-haring, that actually only adds to the stigma of mental illness without addressing the violent ideology behind the attack. I think for those who sympathise with the political motivations of these attackers its easier to blame mental health than it is to look inward towards the ideology motiving the attack.

There is another argument that I often see that is about shifting the blame, attempts to blame the political left for the violence rather than admitting that there are a few rotten apples on their own side of the political spectrum. Often, we see the accusation being that this wasn’t some right-wing nut but rather it was an action of the political left to tarnish the reputation of the political right. Again, this is avoiding addressing the ideology that is supporting these attacks.

Politically saying that you oppose immigration is a legitimate and fair view to hold, it does not make you a racist and it does not make you a sympathiser to those who commit acts in the name of this view. However, when you promote more extreme views of this, when you promote a “white genocide” conspiracy or falsely claim that “they” want open boarders and to take your guns that is when I think a line has been crossed. When you start to feed into a narrative that feeds xenophobic hate and stops just short of justifying violence you become part of the problem. This is what we see happening all too often on the political right as it gets pushed further to the right with fake news and extreme right-wing opinion.

Therefore rather than dismiss these shooters as being liberal plants with mental health issues from playing too many video games, I think those on the political right need to take a step back and objectively look at the hateful propaganda they are pushing and ask if it is in some way part of the problem.

+57 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Can we talk about the guy from Dayton too? That would officially mean your thread needs to be amended to just "Violence and Politics" instead of "Violence and 'The Side I Don't Like' Politics".

+41 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You spent a lot of time writing about El Paso. Do you not care about those who were killed in Dayton, and what the shooter there felt towards people?

That's why liberals are #ing disgusting. You'll spend an hour writing about one shooting while ignoring another because you have a sick obsession to blame it on Trump and right wing politics.

If anyone hates illegal immigrants for any reason, it's because the left have been working towards decriminalizing their behavior and treating them better than American citizens. Study up on that #.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The shooting in Dayton had nothing to do with politics.
They are just trying to make it so for some weird reason or another.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Sorry....

what were your really expecting?

+25 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Now please do a thread on Dayton and the radical left/Antifa.... Or how about all the shootings that happen EVERY week in Chicago. Last i checked, they aren't republicans and if we added up all the chicago shootings alone (just one democratic run city) it would Trump any figure you have to show of right wing shootings..

I just found the chicago numbers for 2019 alone... but yea, lets talk about right wing extremism... (Rolls eyes)

Shot & Killed: 278
Shot & Wounded: 1365
Total Shot: 1643
Total Homicides: 305
edit on 6-8-2019 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Those are American citizens living in the rotting interiors of major cities like Baltimore being treated like the rats infesting their ghettos, but we're rolling out the red carpets to collect people who aren't even Americans from other countries and treating them better.

What's wrong with the people in those cities that we can't figure out how to fix their situations first?

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Oh, there you are.... The shooter in Dayton called the Antifa Tacoma attacker a "Comrade"... you seemed to ignore my question I posed directly to you in the Dayton thread...

The definition of Comrade is - a companion who shares one's activities or is a fellow member of an organization.

And you claim the Dayton shooter wasnt Antifa... laughable

(post by RickinVa removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

That's why liberals are #ing disgusting. You'll spend an hour writing about one shooting while ignoring another because you have a sick obsession to blame it on Trump and right wing politics.

Pot and kettle as far as I can see.

Both sides are just as bad and just as ideologically entrenched as each other.

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
A right winger goes shooting and righties are bad.

A Muslim blows people up but he acts alone...

Bad people do bad things...
Stop blaming politics

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

There is a growing problem and it feels like something that needs to be discussed properly, that problem is the link between the political far right and violence.

By now am sure everyone is aware of the shooting El-Paso shooting that has so far claimed 22 lives and the “manifesto” written by the perpetrator, Patrick Crusius. The manifesto I found to be as interesting as it is horrifying, it touches on several issues that are prominent in the thinking of the political right. In the manifesto he talks about subjects that are at times discussed by the membership of this site as political issues such as the perceived “White genocide”, he talks about “the Hispanic invasion” and “Open boarders” along with the dangers of the democrats. He makes a special effort to defend Trump by highlighting that his beliefs predate Trump again something I find to be interesting. These are all very much themes that I see discussed by the political right on an almost daily basis and I think that there has to be an open discussion about how the political right ideology can lead to violence.

The El Paso shooters manifesto also touched on a lot of LEFT WING positions as well...

He advocated for Universal healthcare and UBI. He also mentioned environmental causes.

Both left and right have been against illegal immigration. It is only since Trump was elected that Democrats all of sudden want open borders.
edit on Tue Aug 6 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Trimmed massive quote

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Even now most rank and file Democrats are against it. It's just the politicians and the radicals who want open borders.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

how about the Bernie supporter that tried to assassinate a bunch of Republicans? What about the antifa guy who just attacked an ICE facility? what about all the violence and beatings that have occurred since before the election perpetrated by left-wingers?
edit on 6-8-2019 by BadBen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I actually take the time in the OP to acknowledge that it happens on the left, I even mention the Dayton shooter but this thread is about the violence that stems from the political right.

Its supposed to be a discussion about the nature of how a far right ideology can push people towards violence and how some on the right (as you seem to be exemplifying) are unwilling to acknowledge and discuss this.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BadBen

how about the Bernie supporter that tried to assassinate a bunch of Republicans? What about the antifa guy who just attacked a nice facility? what about all the violence and beatings that have occurred since before the election perpetrated by left-wingers?

That wasn't political, the shooter was anti-softball leagues!!! duhhhh

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Those are American citizens living in the rotting interiors of major cities like Baltimore being treated like the rats infesting their ghettos, but we're rolling out the red carpets to collect people who aren't even Americans from other countries and treating them better.

What's wrong with the people in those cities that we can't figure out how to fix their situations first?

Democrats only coddle those they need. They don't need inner city people living in filth, they already have them.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Pot and kettle as far as I can see.

Both sides are just as bad and just as ideologically entrenched as each other.

It's a self serving cycle as far as I can tell.

And it benefits a very few, I doubt it's any of us on ATS.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I actually take the time in the OP to acknowledge that it happens on the left, I even mention the Dayton shooter but this thread is about the violence that stems from the political right.

Its supposed to be a discussion about the nature of how a far right ideology can push people towards violence and how some on the right (as you seem to be exemplifying) are unwilling to acknowledge and discuss this.

the issue with you (or people like Sillyolme) is that a thread like this doesn't seem sincere... it seems more so like you want to critique the right, but we never seem this type of effort from people like you given to incidents that happen on the left... If you were an unbiased voice of reason, i would give it a listen, but a thread like this seems calculated and not genuine to me. Just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Pay a#ingtention FFS.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join