It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cycling southern Japan and Okinawa this August and later in Oct. Need suggestion what to pack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hello members. Next week I plan to cycle southern Japan and later in October, Okinawa. As many of you know, I live here. This is my first for cycling . I also will be taking the train for longer distances.
What should I pack. I will have the ranniers (double bag type) Need to stay a light as possible. Suggestions are much appreciated. And if you done cycling any where in Asia, share your pointers, please. We have a lot of places for free or very low cost (300 yen a night) camp sites. I'll also be doing some gorilla camping along the river paths (very common).
Here is a picture of my bike:

edit on 0800000029112019-08-05T19:11:29-05:00112908pm7 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

edit on 0800000052122019-08-05T19:12:52-05:00125208pm7 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Hacksaw, cuff keys, lock picks and perhaps hoop a little C4 for just incase lol

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tayton

Hacksaw, cuff keys, lock picks and perhaps hoop a little C4 for just incase lol

I'll keep that in mind, but what is C4 ?

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
WD40 and gaffer tape, seriously

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I'm jealous, although my biking days are long past.

Japan is beautiful, as is Okinawa.

No advice other than enjoy and take lots of pics to post

There may come a day when you can not do something like this, remember you are blessed to be able to.

My son is biking Ireland ATM.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxey

Well at least I know what WD40 is, but what is gaffer tape?

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

I'm jealous, although my biking days are long past.

Japan is beautiful, as is Okinawa.

No advice other than enjoy and take lots of pics to post

There may come a day when you can not do something like this, remember you are blessed to be able to.

My son is biking Ireland ATM.

Wow! That is so cool to hear that.
As for me, I'm in my mid 60's. Fairly good shape. 4 hour bike ride, I can handle. As you know, the August heat is ... well, you know. But I'll be taking the train up to 6 hours sometimes. No, I couldn't possible bike for 6 hours in August, but October is fine. I'll be in Okinawa in October, taking the ferry from Kagoshima to Naha and biking from one end to the other.
You are right, got to do it while we can. Thanks.
I kind of know what to pack, but its the little things that we seem to forget and Japan has a lot of countryside with NO stores at all.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

C4 in an explosive and it comes much like play doh, so it possible to roll it up in small balls to hide you know where, on that note I'm surprised a terrorist has never done that. Lol, good luck on ur travels

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tayton

C4 in an explosive and it comes much like play doh, so it possible to roll it up in small balls to hide you know where, on that note I'm surprised a terrorist has never done that. Lol, good luck on ur travels

Thanks Tayton
By your post, seems like you like to travel too!

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
With the ton of quakes there lately I say take a flotation device.

Typhoon Season. Typhoons in Japan occur the most from July to October, especially in August and September. According to Japan Meteorological Agency, about 25 typhoons occur and 11 approach a year on average in the past thirty years.
Beautiful though have a great time!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
With the ton of quakes there lately I say take a flotation device.

Typhoon Season. Typhoons in Japan occur the most from July to October, especially in August and September. According to Japan Meteorological Agency, about 25 typhoons occur and 11 approach a year on average in the past thirty years.
Beautiful though have a great time!!!

This morning we are having a typhoon. Raining hard and strong winds. Kyushu is getting hit hard though.
Nice pictures. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
i would reccomend bike packing and cycle touring forums - as " more use " than ATS [ see above replies ]

there are various blogs etc that hive recomended pack lists , do // dont adive etc

but packing is quite simple - you need to :

keep the bike going [ tools // spares etc to fix minor things or get you to a cycle mechanic ]

keep you going [ clothes to keep you the correct temp and dry ] +

eat [ are you going to cook // prep food from ingredients - or just eat at street vendors etc ? ]

sleep - again YMMV - tent , hammock , bivvy bag , hostels ?? ]

almost everything else = " f;uff "

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
i would reccomend bike packing and cycle touring forums - as " more use " than ATS [ see above replies ]

there are various blogs etc that hive recomended pack lists , do // dont adive etc

but packing is quite simple - you need to :

keep the bike going [ tools // spares etc to fix minor things or get you to a cycle mechanic ]

keep you going [ clothes to keep you the correct temp and dry ] +

eat [ are you going to cook // prep food from ingredients - or just eat at street vendors etc ? ]

sleep - again YMMV - tent , hammock , bivvy bag , hostels ?? ]

almost everything else = " f;uff "

Thanks IA

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Have fun when you go in October! It will be nice to see pics of your travels.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Have fun when you go in October! It will be nice to see pics of your travels.

Thanks NS
It will be like a memory lane thing for me. I was stationed there during the Vietnam War. At the time, I had a 125 cc Honda, now I'll be cycling perhaps the same old roads. Sure like the Okinawan fried rice and the large chicken legs that was served off base. Also will see if my old karate school is still there that I earned several "colored" belts from.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   
If you get a chance check out the documentary series about a guy that cycles all over Japan. It was either 2017 or 2018 and when I found it had to D/L the full season to watch since could not find it available in the states to watch. Did find a link to the company that produced the show.

Cycle around Japan show

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OzManHero
If you get a chance check out the documentary series about a guy that cycles all over Japan. It was either 2017 or 2018 and when I found it had to D/L the full season to watch since could not find it available in the states to watch. Did find a link to the company that produced the show.

Cycle around Japan show

Watching it now, thanks. I start in Yamaguchi Prefecture then up to Shimane then to Tottori Prefecture.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: maxey

Well at least I know what WD40 is, but what is gaffer tape?

Gaffer's tape or Gaff tape is a cloth backed tape used typically in the entertainment industry. It's like duct tape, but so much better.

top topics

join