It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

money for music programs or sports in schools.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
In todays schools there is an obvious problem when it comes to funds distribution....more and more schools close their music programs while there sports programs flourish.....this is a very disturbing trend.....so what would you do..........money for music or sports..

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This has been a major topic for years at my old high school. I live in Kentucky, and because of the UK Wildcats, basketball ranks up there with farming and religion. So as you can imagine, the basketball program is very well funded. Along with it is the football program, which I can proudly state can easily be beaten by the middle school team if given the chance.

Anyway, even though I am a musician, I also was involved in Cross Country my latter high school years, and to my school, we hardly existed. They wouldn't give us enough money to buy a new tent, but could certainly toss out a continuous flow of money to our pathetic football team (who, by the way, had probably 4 wins in 4 years). So not only do some music programs suffer some small sports programs suffer as well.

Now to address your question, music or sports? hmmmmm... That is a tough question. I'd say that if you took away some money from sports, there would be some mad jocks running around beating up little trombone players...
Take away from one program, upset those people..take away from another...upset some more. It would all be soooooo simple if schools would evenly distribute money throughout all programs. But that looks good on paper and statistics...but what about costs? Costs to maintain fields, supply enough equipment, etc...that's what admission prices and revenue from the food stand is for, right? I don't know, because I have no idea how much it costs. As for the music program, they have concerts and so forth, but what are the ticket prices? hmmmm... To answer the question, I would have to go with music, why, because I play and teach guitar, so I am biased. But I very much enjoy sports, and can say that sports is very valuable to building foundations for lifetime qualities in young people. Hard one to answer.

Sorry if it's too long...I'm new so don't hit me please...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
they're both extremely important. With the obesity epidemic-school gym classes should be getting more attention and traction. Music and after school activities are great-but biy do we need to something about the lack of exercise in our schools.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yes, the Oregon-Clay High School Marching Band has WALLS filled with trophies and awards. The HS Football team has 3. Who gets more money? The football team. The Oregon-Clay FFA program has Walls, boxes, and more walls filled with awards and trophies, the Basketball team has won 5 games in 3 years, who gets more money? Baketball team. Who's FFA team is !FEARED! by the Ohio State Bukeyes FFA team? The Cleveland FFA team? The University of Toledo Team? Oregon-Clay. Hell, in several competitions the other teams have admitted to only trying for 2nd cause they know they can't beat us. Who always goes to nationals in at least two events? Oregon-Clay FFA. Who's Marching Band was asked by the White House to march in the 9/11 parade in NYC?(they asked one MB from every state, they accepted the first 25 confirmations) Oregon-Clay. Not Ohio State Buckeyes, not Bowling Green, not Miami University, Oregon-Clay.

But, who gets more money? Football/basketball. Who plants the trees, flowers, bushes? FFA.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_
In todays schools there is an obvious problem when it comes to funds distribution....more and more schools close their music programs while there sports programs flourish.....this is a very disturbing trend.....so what would you do..........money for music or sports..

Well that is the type of society we live in. When given a chance to choose between a olympic medalists and a champion violin player, who would we choose. Most would choose the olympic medalist.

I think both are important, both help our brain mature in their own ways. But if I were to choose between sports or music, I would choose sports because most of us prefer sports to music.

Surf

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
well in aus there is a childhood obeisty problem, so I give the big tick to sports

new topics

top topics

join