It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we even entertain the loss of freedoms

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ok. but obviously that's too extreme.

We have a problem where people have mental issues that cause them to do this. How do we fix that?

Maybe by addressing the people and namely their mental issues, which is obviously a pretty complex issue.

Or

We could just go with a "single" solution that's a nice MSM talking point that also may have an alternate motive.

It's a waste of time and preventing us from making a real difference by even spending a moment talking about the latter, let alone parroting it on excessively anytime it's an easy talking point for simpletons.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Ok. but obviously that's too extreme.

We have a problem where people have mental issues that cause them to do this. How do we fix that?

How do you infringe upon the rights of individuals in a society where you don't infringe upon the rights of individuals?

Personally? I think that any crime committed with a firearm should be issued the death penalty.

Right there.

In the parking lot of the court room.

Make it bloody, messy, make it painful with screaming.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

That would be an effective deterrent

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

You're like a record with a scratch in it.

Skipping over and over the same point missing the entire message.

By the way, a record is a big disk that old people used to play music.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Why do we even entertain the loss of freedoms?

Because we live in a country chock full of idiots.

Go back to your phones. Nothing to see here.

Its already too late.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
That would be an effective deterrent

Maybe in some cases but probably not most.

Especially not mass shooting (sorry if you don't like the term but whatever), someone looking to go out in a blaze of glory isn't going to be deterred because they don't have any plans on leaving the shooting site anyway.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Stalin was for gun control.
Lenin was for gun control.
Hitler was for gun control.
Rocket Man is for gun control.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I want to hammer home the point that we need to fix an issue. Having the guns in the hands of people that are mentally unstable is a problem. If we are dead set on having weapons as a right. Then we need to do a better job of making sure that the people that have weapons are fit to have them. It's our right to own them and our right to regulate the militia that has them.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I'm all for mental health providers giving people the care they need. But if they can't afford it. Then we need to figure out how to get them the care they need.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

That will not work. Threatening people with death as a deterrent won't stop them. Never has never will.

We need to get people the mental health care they need.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Honestly, I think it is because a lot of people think, hey I get by day after day without a gun, or a sword or whatever.

So I guess this makes them think that if everyone went about their day the same way these things wouldn't happen.

Naive? Definitely but you can't really blame them for thinking that I mean it is their reality, until...

link   

a reply to: MisterSpock

I'm all for mental health providers giving people the care they need. But if they can't afford it. Then we need to figure out how to get them the care they need.
It would be more cost effective to provide every adult citizen a gun and some ammo. Probably more effective as well.
edit on 4-8-2019 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

link   

That will not work. Threatening people with death as a deterrent won't stop them. Never has never will.

We need to get people the mental health care they need.

True.

And I'm all for socialized mental health care.

Even wrote a thread on it once.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Honestly, I think it is because a lot of people think, hey I get by day after day without a gun, or a sword or whatever.

So I guess this makes them think that if everyone went about their day the same way these things wouldn't happen.

Naive? Definitely but you can't really blame them for thinking that I mean it is their reality, until...

The bottom line is that it is a freedom.

It could be free speech, the right to vote. . . whatever.

But here, it is a freedom and it is being attacked.

I will always side for freedom.

Always.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The mental health system needs to nationalized and a certified board of psychiatric physicians needs to be elected 🖐️

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

Blah, blahblah, blah blah.

Why do so many now endorse a loss of freedoms?

Because Americans have become reliant on politicians for their fake survival.
A politician is only interested in one thing: taking away your free spirit to survive on your own.

Another internet analogy was this;

A herd of sheep saw a wolf eat one of their bretheren.

They saw the wolf use it's teeth to tear and rend the flesh of their flock member.

They saw teeth as a danger.

So the sheep removed all their teeth to be safer.

Why do we (as a culture) support and endorse people who want to remove our freedoms?

Yes, something tragic happened. It happened twice in a day! Guess what!

It'll happen again.

It's bcause we live in a society that embraces freedom, good/bad/indifferent.

Most people appreciate the freedoms we have, the freedoms and not to infringe on the freedoms of others.

Some bad people do not.

But we don't want to infringe on the rights of everyone else because a few bad people did bad things, do we?

We are we even entertaining this?

Why would we give up freedoms?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The bottom line is that it is a freedom.

It could be free speech, the right to vote. . . whatever.

But here, it is a freedom and it is being attacked.

I will always side for freedom.

Always.

I know. I do too, but you asked, "why we even entertain the loss of freedoms" and I may be biased but I think the reason I gave is pretty spot on.

edit on 4-8-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's completely unacceptable that a cat, or a dog has the freedom to pee in public, while we might get a citation, which carries the full weight of the law.

Our loss of freedom is unacceptable!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: chr0naut

Oh you are not an expat?
My mistake

Pfft
More bs from some coward

How could you possibly know if I was a coward or not?

Do you think that one must be in the armed forces of one's country or else one is a coward?

I think that those who join the armed forces and those that respond to threats with violence can be cowards.

A hero is someone who ignores their fear and risks their life and limb, placing themselves in danger, for others. Soldiers, police and rescue personnel can all be heroes, and/or cowards. It all depends upon the individual in the moment.

There have been times when I have done heroic things, but you can't be a hero online.

... and I was in the armed forces of my country as a youth. It has little bearing on who I am today and less upon the issues of mass shootings.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think we should build large, self-contained facilities that lock up and all those who are afraid they might die because of a freedom others have are free to enter those facilities and throw away the keys to the doors of their self-contained living units. They will be fed all they need and provided with necessary care, but they may not come out again unless they are willing to allow others their freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join