It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White privileged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
So this has been bothering me for awhile

What do you think
I am an Aussie, it’s a great country, probably better than any western country, maybe even better than Enzed, maybe
I have a lady friend from Colombia, South America, been here 5 to 10 years, loves it, would not even consider going home, has a couple of kids, a daughter 16 years old, nice kid but
Recently, a month or two ago told me she was angry with White Male Privilege in Australia, so being the mature adult I asked her to tell me what that was, she explained the discrepancy in wages... what discrepancy I asked and a 16 year old diatribe ensued. I asked her if she could explain the governments position on equality of wages for men and women (legally women must earn the same) and she was a little less forward.
Then she babbled on about women getting the vote in the UK (the UK) and she was so wrong about that, women and men got the voting rights after WW1, not just women.

Can anyone explain white male privilege in the West?

She is 16, she has no idea and that’s ok but, I understand her ignorance at 16, but who the hell is teaching these kids stupidity
Why do these kids offer such divisive comments/arguments
I want to say “go home to Colombia you winging girl” I want to but obviously that’s not right
This 16 year old girl will have more opportunities than I ever had but isn’t grateful, wants more and her family did nothing to earn what is offered to her, just immigrated

It irks me
Love her, wonderful kid but

Maybe this should be a rant
I have had a tough and crap life but in a wonderful country that has failed me consistently yet has done it’s very best
I am not complaining because I didn’t get everything
What’s enough?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If you get to them young and turn them into emotion-based idiots, they will be much easier to control.
We have the same problems with our public "school" systems.
You should see our common core math scheme. Holy crap dude.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Because she has likely been taught that equality means equal outcome, and if she looks around and sees white men with more of anything than she has, it's because the system (created old, dead white men) is oppressing her and racist and privileges those white men so they got more from it than she has because she's not a white man.

That's white privilege.

You and I were likely taught that the system was designed with the idea of giving us equal opportunity to make the best of ourselves and take what advantage of that we could. Reality says we won't end up the same since we'll have different strengths and weaknesses and pursue different paths in life leading to different outcomes. But because we were taught that way, we don't expect that if I have more than you or you have more than me that some gross injustice has been perpetrated because we each pursued our lives as we chose and were free to do so.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The privilege of having no privileges. Pay all taxes check. Pay for all education check. Pay for your own rehabilitation check. No preference when applying for jobs check. Pay for own housing check.

Doing all these things and succeeding while other can get all that payed for and fail is the privilege I assume.

a reply to: Raggedyman

edit on 4-8-2019 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Ahhh...well see....white priviledge started a long time ago when white peeps invented fire. Then white peeps invented the wheel and the boat. So then...being bored...white peeps invaded and conquered peeps all over the place and took their stuff. Then some white guy invented the cotton gin and the steam engine and it was game over. I think that is how it went. Could be wrong...lemme check youtube.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Oh wow...read thisarticle....apparently once 10 black people move into a neighbor hood....property prices fall.

"In fact, research has shown that once more than 10 percent of a neighborhood becomes populated by black residents, property values begin to decline, largely in response to their presence."

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's like giving someone a ladder, only for them to look at you and say "Why am I not at the top?" while looking around at the others who actually climbed their ladder.

As you said, equality is giving people the ability to achieve, not giving them achievements.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

More about someones ability to coexist within society and more typically 'hood' cultural traits, than anything to do with skin colour. Things may have been different 50 years ago, back during the ignoramusic period.

But the two are so often conflated and then used to label anyone pointing it out, as a racist.

Again, a complete side step of the words 'by the content of their character and not the colour of their skin'

I dunno... I have a family of white people on one side who scream and yell and swear at the kids all day long. The grandmother gets the daughters new kids every time she has another one, and the noise escalates. The daughter is too buy posting facebook updates showing her piss collection and saying "gon get reked 2nite, whos gunna join me?" to look after her own kids, I suspect.

On the other side is a share house with rotating retttttta... mentally deficient men. they like long smokes out the back, goofy laughter (makes Jimmy Carr sound like an angel) and coughing like someone is kicking an old dog, for 16 hours out of the day.

And then to the back, there is the old Italian family, mother inside doing motherly things with italian recipes, and grapes... while pop is always in his decked out tin shed, watching Mash at a loud volume.

I think I'll move over where you are...

edit on 4-8-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Aint much better in Newmarket.....in my local its hard to find someone who speaks english. One neighbor is jamaican and evertime i sit out back...i get high. Out back is about 75 polish peeps living in a house whose yard has been converted to several lean toos. Every saturday nite we get the same tatto covered heathenesses stumbling past thd house blabbering on about something incoherent. And then we have the muslims next door who dont let their kids out of the house but once a day......giving ya scowls and dirty looks.....even though i got their ball off the garage roof.

As far as employment...well the saying is there are two kinds of peeps in newmarket.....those at the front of the horse....and those at the back.

Nope...stay where ya are man....the grass is turd covered here as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well I agree with the last two double posts. By the way, I just found a chip in my bag with a hole in the center shaped like a donut, and in the center a hole with a sillouete of George Clooney.......
edit on 4-8-2019 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes, the myth of the wage gap.
Love that one.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Nope...stay where ya are man....the grass is turd covered here as well.

But it's a greener shade of turd, yes??

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I suppose it is. But only due to the hardness of the water.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
White male privilege - all persons of color not having the same assets at the age of 18 that white males have scrimped, saved for, and accumulated at the age of 60. (/s for those that can’t see it)

This privileged white male’s only way out was enlisting in the military at the age of 18 near the end of the Vietnam war. What a privilege! Though actually I learned it truly was.

edit on 4/8/2019 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Brains are not fully developed until ~25. Get em in their teens and they believe all the crap they are told. I believed it too when I was taught that crap in the 90s.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It’s not only 16 year old that ribble this teenage like crap.

It’s a concerted effort of hatred against the white male, particularly the straight ones. If this thing continues we’ll all have to serve as butlers and slaves of anybody with a perceived historical grievance.

My family came from one of Australia’s most disadvantaged postcodes in SE Melbourne then moved to a regional timber town where the employer for men was the saw mill - I’d wager there are plenty of non-white males who have experienced a lot more opportunity due to their priveledge.

P.S I worked my ass off and am now a sales manager in a publicly listed tech company. Every time people say white male proveledge completely ignores and overlooks the hardships many of us have faced to get where we are

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

It's not my non stop studying and 11 years of education that got me where I am, it's because I am white.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It’s great isn’t it!?

Just arrive at any reception desk in any building of the CBD of any western city and tell them you want to be CEO. Easy as that.

Just hope the rest of them don’t figure out we underpay them and give ourselves a boost with the scrapings.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

My aunt said cops ignore all crime by white people and will only arrest black people. My brother said, 'wait, so you are actually saying cops let white people go because they are white?'

She said yes. My brother said, tell you what, go rob the nearest bank, you are white, they will let you go right? She refused to answer.

Sheer nonsense.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Oh wow...read thisarticle....apparently once 10 black people move into a neighbor hood....property prices fall.

"In fact, research has shown that once more than 10 percent of a neighborhood becomes populated by black residents, property values begin to decline, largely in response to their presence."

www.theatlantic.com...

I would say not an article , but an opinion piece.
There are a lot of "personal interjections" cleverly placed in that piece.
Look at some of the other "articles" by this same person and you will become enlightened
And my duty to ATS shall be fulfilled .

edit on 8/4/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join