It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could A Shuttle Be Shot Down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Governments all over the world seem to be woried about terrorists getting ahold of surface 2 air missiles such as the Stinger because of the threat to planes.
Is the security during a shuttle launch good enough to stop someone shooting one down. (I pray it never happens)
Imagine the dent it would put in confidence in the US if one was brought down.

What is the security like during a launch and is it good enough to stop an attack, because bringing a shuttle down would be a much bigger moral killer than a commercial aircraft!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
terrorist dont need to do anything nasa seems to be doing agreat job screwing up all on its own

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't think terrorists would see it as a very good target but I'm sure there are countries working on tech to shoot down satellites or shuttles that are used by the military to collect intelligence data. A regular plane has a lot more people in it and more people fly in regular planes than in shuttles so if they want to cause fear and terrorize people it would be a better target for them than a shuttle.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I guess it's possible but I agree it would not really be a good target. The shuttle would be extremely difficult to shoot down since it moves so fast and although embarrassing and a national tragedy, it wouldn't have the long term effects that shooting down commercial airlines (easier to hit) would have.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
No, it travels at great speeds durring take off and re-entry so even if it is shot at it is near impossible for it to be hit, also when it is most vulnerable there are security measures on the ground and in the air that will protect the 'bird.'

I do not think it was a coincidence that Columbia broke appart shortly before the Iraq war, I see it as kind of a karmic way of balancing out our sins in the war.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
No, it travels at great speeds durring take off and re-entry so even if it is shot at it is near impossible for it to be hit, also when it is most vulnerable there are security measures on the ground and in the air that will protect the 'bird.'

I do not think it was a coincidence that Columbia broke appart shortly before the Iraq war, I see it as kind of a karmic way of balancing out our sins in the war.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by jrod]

Yeah if u say so.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   

terrorist dont need to do anything nasa seems to be doing agreat job screwing up all on its own

Brilliantly said.

And as for the shuttle being a bad target, its the perfect target. Not for casualties but for moral.
When a commercial aircraft goes down people mourn. But when a shuttle (remember Columbia and Challenger) goes down, a nation mourns.
It would be a massive hit to the US if terrorists brought down a shuttle.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Obviously the shuttle is surroundered by much more security measures than your average passenger airliner.

Combined with the speed during flight that would be a very difficult feat.

Perhaps terrorists would give it a try someday , attempting to demonstrate their piece de resistance, "we can hit you anywhere despite your massive security" Paranoia would be off the scales...Patriot Act 3 & 4 would be rushed oivernight, some high ranking millitary or security officials could find their position under scrutiny as the public demands somebodies head to roll for the security failure...?

As their is a lot of physical distance between the crowd and the shuttle at most times, they would have to infiltrate as a journalist or maybe at one of the subcontractor and replace some of the "improved" foam with semtex or something...

I don't see it happen though, as I think the level of sophistication and clearances requires an intel network that I would think is only available to Russian or Chinese intelligence agencies that might have planted moles behind the security curtain already years ago, I don't think that a hunted Al-Quaida in its current state could pull it off, but still one would want to keep a close eye on the Shuttle....

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Is the security during a shuttle launch good enough to stop someone shooting one down.

What is the security like during a launch and is it good enough to stop an attack, because bringing a shuttle down would be a much bigger moral killer than a commercial aircraft!

No one can get close enough, Security during a launch is very strict they have both restricted air space no fly rules in place during launch as well as coast guard patrols in the Atlantic. In addtion I think the GA National guard is in the air. Sorry I do not know what the actual size of the area is but would assume it is over five miles if not more. No doubt the aircraft/helicopters patroling the zone also have airborne anti aircraft missiles on board to take out anything that someone might attempt to fire.

No one can get close enough

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Well, how about hijacking one of those security helicopters etc, like I said , there would be a intel network and supportive cells needed that post 9/11 is no longer available to al-quaida in N-America, but never rule out the resourcefullness of an evil mind.

In fact every amount of extra security adds to complexity and gives new inventive angles to find a hole in the maze...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Yes, especially on approach. However, the Shuttle is a basically a big glider so if you are talking about a MANPADS type system, it would have to be a more modern ssytem that can track airframe fritional heating as opposed to a hot engine source.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I bet the security for sts-114 (return to flight) is even more strict coz it would be a massive blow for it to happen then.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Why would you need to shoot down the shuttle? They are virtually falling out of the sky already.

Time to replace them!!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Why would you need to shoot down the shuttle? They are virtually falling out of the sky already.

Well said.
Just tell the terrorists to bring their pea shooters and potato guns to shoot the shuttle down!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Would the missile that was shot at it be fast enough? I think it would be pretty hard to shoot it since it pretty much goes straight up and at really high speeds but its worth a try. Maybe with some artillery youd have a better chance.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Who says the shuttle would lift of before the attack? It could be targeted on the launchpad!
All that fuel + stinger missile = really big bang!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A TOW missle on approach would probably be a more feasabile idea for anyone trying to take out a shuttle. I just hope it never happens. I think some people don't credit our security enough, has there been a single terrorist attack here since 9/11...?

[edit on 3/7/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There are a-sat (antisatellite) systems that can take out anything in orbit. There is a conspiracy theory (!) that says Columbia was hit with an a-sat round. See Encyclopaedia Astronautica for more on obital weapons systems.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

There is a conspiracy theory (!) that says Columbia was hit with an a-sat round.

The falling parts of Columbia were still moving in the direction the shuttle reentered the atmosphere. If it had been shot it would have just blew up and fell straight down to earth.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The launch pads are will in a restricted area, and there are all kinds of security measures taken when the shuttles are on them. As for when the shuttle is gliding back to earth, they used to have a a T-38 flying next to it on the first shuttle landings, there is no reason fighter jets could not do the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join