It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth is we need Gun Control and Predictive Policing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: neoholographic

originally posted by: mtnshredder
a reply to: neoholographic
You think profiling society is a good idea? You’re willing to give up your privacy and your freedom that easy? Are you insane? There’s to much of it going on as it is. I personally don’t want to live in your Orwellian world, thanks but no thanks.

Who are you giving your privacy up to?

Again, people don't understand technology. We're not in the days of J. Edgar Hoover where there's manila folders with your info on it.

We live in an age of big data.

We conduct more than half of our web searches from a mobile phone now.
More than 3.7 billion humans use the internet (that’s a growth rate of 7.5 percent over 2016).
On average, Google now processes more than 40,000 searches EVERY second (3.5 billion searches per day)!
While 77% of searches are conducted on Google, it would be remiss not to remember other search engines are also contributing to our daily data generation. Worldwide there are 5 billion searches a day.

Every minute:

Snapchat users share 527,760 photos
More than 120 professionals join LinkedIn
Users watch 4,146,600 YouTube videos
456,000 tweets are sent on Twitter
Instagram users post 46,740 photos

1.5 billion people are active on Facebook daily
Europe has more than 307 million people on Facebook
There are five new Facebook profiles created every second!
More than 300 million photos get uploaded per day
Every minute there are 510,000 comments posted and 293,000 statuses updated

Big Data

It has NOTHING to do with privacy.

You need intelligent algorithms to make correlations within the data that no human can ever make because it's too much data.

Like I said, 95% of the data will never be seen by human eyes.

And how long before someone who may be upset gets their face scanned by some AI and is flagged as a potential threat before having done something? And how do you determine that this person is indeed not a threat, and will never be a threat?

LOL, that's not how it works.

An intelligent algorithm will look at social media posts and more and make correlations in the data. It will then flag 4 to 5% of the data and most of it will never be seen by human eyes.

There's no other way to find a signal in all of the noise.

Uh-huh. So social media posts will be used to do what, exactly, to a person that has committed no crime. Are you condoning thought crime at this point? If so, how do you separate the real threat, from the noise? I only ask because I've yet to see an algorithm without flaw.

May I suggest you start off by reading books like Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver

Book

Also, Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction

Book

The way intelligent algorithms work is, they look for a signal in the noise. They make correlations in the data but they need vast amounts of data to work with. For example.

An algorithm could notice 1,000,000 posts talking about cats and there's a correlation between how potential mass shooters talk about guns.

As humans, we may never understand why this correlation exists but it does.

The intelligent Algorithm could never find the signal (mass shooters) without the noise(posts about cats).

Without vasts amounts of data, you will never find the signal in the noise.
edit on 3-8-2019 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Oh the British model
No thanks
We have a first amendment right

just to be clear here. I was not endorsing this, just pointing out how awful it would end up.
edit on pm88201919America/Chicago03p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Lumenari

~sigh~

We need to find out why everyone over 6 is being prescribed psychotropic drugs.

Dig into the one feature that is common with all these mass shooters...

America has had 200+ years of gun culture. Only in the 90's did we start seeing a major issue. I think you're right.

That combined with a glorifying of war , Americans are used as the globalists hammer, the need for soldiers outweighs the consequences or should I say fall out .

I think that has very little to do with it. I think its the drugs, and a lack of being able to cope and overcome even the smallest of adversities.

Sure that plays heavily into it, no doubt, however I still believe what I stated earlier is part of the problem.

How so? If indeed 90% of these shootings are a result of drugs, depression, and other mental issues, where does glorifying war come in? Because a gun was used? That's flimsy.

It's not at all flimsy, war and violence are glorifying. Guns are glorifyed as problem solvers, all the movie solve problems with, wait for it guns. You really don't think the population idolise their movie stars ?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You think profiling society is a good idea? You’re willing to give up your privacy and your freedom that easy? Are you insane? There’s to much of it going on as it is. I personally don’t want to live in your Orwellian world, thanks but no thanks.

I understand that. I'm asking you what happens when the algorithm makes a mistake. Algorithms are not infallible. Maybe you can watch Slave to the Algorithm, while I read. Hm?

Again, people don't understand technology. We're not in the days of J. Edgar Hoover where there's manila folders with your info on it.

More than 3.7 billion humans use the internet (that’s a growth rate of 7.5 percent over 2016).
On average, Google now processes more than 40,000 searches EVERY second (3.5 billion searches per day)!
While 77% of searches are conducted on Google, it would be remiss not to remember other search engines are also contributing to our daily data generation. Worldwide there are 5 billion searches a day.

Every minute:

Big Data

You need intelligent algorithms to make correlations within the data that no human can ever make because it's too much data.

And how long before someone who may be upset gets their face scanned by some AI and is flagged as a potential threat before having done something? And how do you determine that this person is indeed not a threat, and will never be a threat?

An intelligent algorithm will look at social media posts and more and make correlations in the data. It will then flag 4 to 5% of the data and most of it will never be seen by human eyes.

Uh-huh. So social media posts will be used to do what, exactly, to a person that has committed no crime. Are you condoning thought crime at this point? If so, how do you separate the real threat, from the noise? I only ask because I've yet to see an algorithm without flaw.

May I suggest you start off by reading books like Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver

Book

Book

The way intelligent algorithms work is, they look for a signal in the noise. They make correlations in the data but they need vast amounts of data to work with. For example.

An algorithm could notice 1,000,000 posts talking about cats and there's a correlation between how potential mass shooters talk about guns.

The intelligent Algorithm could never find the signal (mass shooters) without the noise(posts about cats).

I understand that. I'm asking you what happens when the algorithm makes a mistake. Algorithms are not infallible. Maybe you can watch Slave to the Algorithm, while I do some reading hm?
edit on 3-8-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

~sigh~

America has had 200+ years of gun culture. Only in the 90's did we start seeing a major issue. I think you're right.

That combined with a glorifying of war , Americans are used as the globalists hammer, the need for soldiers outweighs the consequences or should I say fall out .

So the highest percentage of gun-related murders in the USA is gang related.

How exactly does that fit in with your not-so-brilliant post?

I wouldn't expect you to understand as you are one of those hammers, gang culture is only part of the problem and is most certainly fueled by the need glorifying if violence.

Also you seem need to belittle anyone that dares think outside your very tiny little box you dwell in, it must be hard being so unhappy all the Time

Well, as far as gang culture and glorifying violence goes, you would have to be willing to discuss the greater cultures involved. Lack of fathers, and so on.

Ready for that conversation?

That all plays a role, interesting you mention lack of father's so kids look to the TV for role models and oh look the big hero that goes in guns blazing becomes that role model, sure I'm ready for the conversation.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

~sigh~

I think that has very little to do with it. I think its the drugs, and a lack of being able to cope and overcome even the smallest of adversities.

Sure that plays heavily into it, no doubt, however I still believe what I stated earlier is part of the problem.

How so? If indeed 90% of these shootings are a result of drugs, depression, and other mental issues, where does glorifying war come in? Because a gun was used? That's flimsy.

It's not at all flimsy, war and violence are glorifying. Guns are glorifyed as problem solvers, all the movie solve problems with, wait for it guns. You really don't think the population idolise their movie stars ?

If you or other people can't separate reality and fiction, that is a personal problem. Might I suggest counseling?
I can't believe you're trying to make the Tipper Gore argument..

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Horrific.

Hell no.

Just because "technology is kewl" doesnt mean we should just go for it. That goes for so, so many human endeavors from the absolute horror of "predictive policing" to genetic editing.

Sure, there will be some humans somewhere that will mess with things they shouldn't (I know, personally), but there is a difference between that and fully institutionalizing them.

I dont buy the argument of "its already bad, so lets go all in" either.

Speaking frankly, I believe the relative prevalence of firearms keeps casualties down from multiple angles. In other words, it contains whatever the hell is going on. From response times during incidents to giving an "easy" outlet.

Clearly there is "something" going on. Going for the nice, easy low hanging fruit of guns may help some feel good, but it may end up making things worse. Chemistry is a helluva thing.

I strongly suspect pharmaceuticals as others do. They tried, hard, to get me own them for my health issues. I also suspect the whole opioid crisis is a nice distraction from the true threat. And just like with firearms, when we tamper with legitimate markets to address criminal, black market issues.. the only ones who pay for it are those unwilling to go the criminal route (see: upstanding citizens).

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

~sigh~

I wouldn't expect you to understand as you are one of those hammers, gang culture is only part of the problem and is most certainly fueled by the need glorifying if violence.

Also you seem need to belittle anyone that dares think outside your very tiny little box you dwell in, it must be hard being so unhappy all the Time

Well, as far as gang culture and glorifying violence goes, you would have to be willing to discuss the greater cultures involved. Lack of fathers, and so on.

That all plays a role, interesting you mention lack of father's so kids look to the TV for role models and oh look the big hero that goes in guns blazing becomes that role model, sure I'm ready for the conversation.

Well if they're going to idolize the hero, then that means they aren't going to shoot up a Walmart, because the hero doesn't do that.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
“Ban guns”

The battle cry of the weak and the gutless

Funny how it also attracts the lowest of intellects as well

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I understand that. I'm asking you what happens when the algorithm makes a mistake. Algorithms are not infallible. Maybe you can watch Slave to the Algorithm, while I read. Hm?

Every minute:

Big Data

Book

Book

I understand that. I'm asking you what happens when the algorithm makes a mistake. Algorithms are not infallible. Maybe you can watch Slave to the Algorithm, while I do some ready hm?

All it is doing is picking out patterns. The question is, what happens when a person (who did nothing wrong) is targeted because their posting or web traffic pattern fits some profile determined by this algorithm? Do they get get wire tapped or followed by the FBI? Do they get called in and questioned even though they did nothing wrong? pretty scary road to go down imo.
edit on pm88201919America/Chicago03p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

~sigh~

If you or other people can't separate reality and fiction, that is a personal problem. Might I suggest counseling?
I can't believe you're trying to make the Tipper Gore argument..

So you raise a point , seperate reality from fiction, so mental health issues , psychotropic drugs di you thinks it possible they play a role in people's ability to seperate reality from fiction.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

~sigh~

Well if they're going to idolize the hero, then that means they aren't going to shoot up a Walmart, because the hero doesn't do that.

Goes back to seperating reality from fiction.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

Every minute:

Big Data

Book

Book

I understand that. I'm asking you what happens when the algorithm makes a mistake. Algorithms are not infallible. Maybe you can watch Slave to the Algorithm, while I do some ready hm?

All it is doing is picking out patterns. The question is, what happens when a person (who did nothing wrong) is targeted because their posting or web traffic pattern fits some profile determined by this algorithm? Do they get get wire tapped or followed by the FBI? Do they get called in and questioned even thought they did nothing wrong. pretty scary road to go down imo.

It's not scary, It's necessary in the age of Big Data. How will you find the signal in the noise? It will just get worse.

Simply asking questions and monitoring a person might deter them from carrying out a mass shooting.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
20k gun laws on the books (roughly) and we need more... get bent.

predictive policing... how long till it becomes an easy way to make people that ask tough questions disappear because an Algorithm said they were going to do something bad... again get bent.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

~sigh~

The ‘leftist’ hero does.
It’s called “by any means necessary” and is their viewpoint.

Shooting a republican congressman at a public baseball game: total refusal to demand ‘gun laws’, funny that.

Like I said, the weak and the gutless, the hypocritical and the uninformed, the easily manipulated and the unintelligent.

That’s who thinks “guns are bad”

Normal people think “guns are guns”. Next they’ll want to ban sober people from driving cars. That’s how gun control works.
edit on 3 8 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
i think what we need is greater urban sprawl and to break up large cities, like our government used to promote for this very reason, to make a more harmonious society and keep crime low.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
20k gun laws on the books (roughly) and we need more... get bent.

predictive policing... how long till it becomes an easy way to make people that ask tough questions disappear because an Algorithm said they were going to do something bad... again get bent.

Predictive Policing works.

Predictive policing substantially reduces crime in Los Angeles during months-long test

newsroom.ucla.edu...

Predictive Policing a Success in Santa Cruz, Calif.

www.govtech.com...

These were systems in it's infancy. We now have way more advanced intelligent algorithms.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

The truth is we need Gun Control and Predictive Policing

What you mean , we ?
Speak for yourself

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
i think what we need is greater urban sprawl and to break up large cities, like our government used to promote for this very reason, to make a more harmonious society and keep crime low.

Urban living seems to really throw people off (putting it nicely), but many dont tend to notice because its a folie a plusieurs of sorts.

However, there is a very strong undercurrent of doing the opposite. Meaning, the concept that not only is high density urban living good, but we should all live that way.

Agenda 21/30 outlines it from an "official" perspective, but its starting to pop up in things like op eds more and more frequently.

Id also guarantee that the vast majority of folks kneejerking about firearms not only reside in a high density population area, but have likely never experienced anything else.

I think when it comes down to it, we are seeing a lot of different symptoms of an underlying problem(s). What that problem is, exactly, is difficult to pin down because of it. But, taking the rpute of herding cats may very well do significantly more harm than good. Admittedly though, some may feel good about it temporarily. Which pretty much sums up political pandering.

Personally, I would prefer to address and ameliorate the deeper issues at play. Because thats how we actually solve problems. I certainly dont think amping up some of the worst aspects of technological advancements is.. wise.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Just imagine the fun with predictive policing and algorithms! Since it already knows that you're going to be a problem, no need to bring you in - judge, jury executioner all rolled into one neat package. Just remove the troublemakers before they get going.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join