It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth is we need Gun Control and Predictive Policing

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

I wasn't aware that in either situation the weapon used fired from a force field enclosed 360° continuous firing apparatus.
It's easier to take videos and get the likes then to defend ones self.
Plus my post specifically called out the sheep in America. New Zealanders have already followed the government to the lambing shed.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Proving, definitively, that you know little to nothing, other than your soundbites from CNN, of the NRA.

🤦‍♂️

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
Trump did a midday Message-to-America speech today (8-5-19)

2 items (outrageous) he suggested is that:

Corporate Tech joined with Law Enforcement -Jointly develop a screening protocol to get a early warning or a head's-up that identifies potential mass shooters/terror makers (sounds like a Fascist idea to me)

To reinstate Mental Health policing & allows for the incarcerating of people that are locked into hate patterns, a kind of Thought Police which will evaluate persons-of-interest that post 'Manifestos', or spout hate speech in Social media platforms

Trump is sounding like the progressive left, more & more...but he's not stuck on the repeating call for More Gun Control to the point of No guns ~at all~ for the average citizen

Here's the problem I have with these kinds of initiatives...

These types of initiatives push the people who could really benefit from mental health care the most into the shadows where their mental conditions just grow worse, to the breaking point. The people who could benefit from it the most are the ones for which treatment would really help, not those clearly beyond treatment and just in need of 'management'.

When a healthy person begins having mental health issues they generally are able to recognize it. However, if they think they will suddenly be branded with a scarlet letter and have all their freedoms taken away, the last thing they will do is willingly seek treatment. If someone tells me the next time I stub my toe I'm going to have to start handing over my belongings and my freedoms, well...I'm never going to tell someone I stubbed my toe. It's really as simple as this.

We can't associate treatment for mental conditions with a punitive measure, because the minute we do the problem will only get worse.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

...and what did Les Moore do, to get put into Boot Hill??

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think this will ultimately get people to buy more guns for protection, be trained in how to properly use those weapons, as well as hopefully be more aware of surroundings and people. So, hate me when I say this but, I think it could ultimately be a good thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Not one republican politician has come on the air to comment on these terrible shootings. I'd call that having one's head in the sand---they're hiding.

Ummmm...EXCEPT for the President of the United States who commented within an hour of the first reports of the tragedy.

Or, do you not count that??

LOL!

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

perhaps they only receive msnbc?
"on the air" and all....

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We can't associate treatment for mental conditions with a punitive measure, because the minute we do the problem will only get worse.

History disagrees with this analysis. We have done it before and it worked fine. Now, we did deprive people of their freedom and that's a tough thing to swallow for many.

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
A lot of those seems to reflect a lack of focus on mental health.

Pretty much the same problem we have now.

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It's time to target there terrorist training camps - aka 2 decades of failed parenting. We blame gun makers for guns, we need to start blaming parents for trigger pullers.

Most of these kids are hoped up on pills and live in broken homes - when till death do us part stops meaning anything to adults, kids learn to follow.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The LAST thing we need are more useless feel-good gun control laws that ultimately won't do anything.

There are no gun laws that will stop this. All it does is put an undue burden on law-abiding gun owners and take set the state for our constitution to be tossed out and for us to be repressed by a corrupt government.

Nor do we need the Thought Police banging on our doors to arrest us at 3 AM because some predictive anaylitical model has decided we are going to be threats. I can't see THAT being corrupted and manipulated at all lol.

I'm not sure there's a middle ground between the people who want to give away their rights vs those who refuse to give more ground on surrendering those rights.

Man, I am just exhasuted from this roller-coaster argument. It's not going to end well, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: circuitsports

You know, that might actually be a decent idea. If your kid shoots a bunch of people you ought to be liable like you would if they shot out your window with a bb gun. But that doesn't address people over 18 who do these things. We can't hold their parents accountable for their own behavior as an adult.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say with that statement.

Clearly some people need involuntary psychiatric treatment, up to and including detainment. However, otherwise healthy individuals who are in the beginning stages of mental illness should not be discouraged from seeking voluntary treatment, or fear doing so without penalty. Some people are born with mental impairment and illness, others develop it progressively over time. It was this latter group I was referring to, not the former.

I think there's a big difference there.

edit on 8/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic
Wow I can only think of Benjamin Franklins saying, " Those that would sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither freedom or safety."

First predictive policing is so damn frightening that anyone who advocated it FRIGHTENS ME MORE. Why in the world would you support that. It is as bad as having a time machine and interfering with history as it can go either way for the good or BAD. What if a person needs a gun and wanted to buy legally because of a threat and your predictive policing prevented him from getting it and got killed. It would be on your shoulders. Whats next decide who gets cancer treatment and who does not based on predictive policing? STOP IT RIGHT THERE!! NO FREEDOM LOVING INDIVIDUAL WOULD AGREE TO THAT.

We have background checks. IN MANY OCCASIONS IT HAS BEEN THE FBI THAT DROPPED THE BALL!!!! Seeing how they back this left movement I now believe they did it on purpose.

Now lets make more sense. Most of the killing is not mass killings. Chicago can have 10-20 or more shooting a night. Where did these guns come from. MORE THAN LIKELY THE TRUNK OF A CAR FROM A DRUG DEALER. These Saturday night specials are responsible for more killing than an AR-15. NO your argument does not stand but it STINKS!!

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SulfurMercurySalt
So if a tyrannical government decides to take those then what. No semi-automatic weapons to level a playing field on the ground. NO!! When the founders made the second amendment it was musket to musket. I don't want a bolt action to automatic weapons. With semi-auto weapons it is more difficult to keep one pinned down. A bolt action would be the death of a resistance.

I know what you are thinking? It cant happen here. Think again!!!! Watch the Democratic debates and that is what you will be defending yourself from if they get elected. This is a slippery slope that one should not start down.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Baaaaa.............(

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Trump just said the same thing I'm saying!!

What do you thing red flag laws are?

When Trump says Tech companies need to identify extremist before they act, he's talking about predictive policing!

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Yes, and???

He's wrong, too!

Are you unable to see the slippery slope you seem to want to run across?

Say the wrong thing, the cops come callin'. Dare to have your own thoughts, the cops could come callin'.

Brave New World, combined with 1984. Anyone who isn't terrified of that possibility has issues that need addressing.

Maybe some soma would help?? Keep us all calm and collected, subservient to the Boss. Any argument, and the thought police will descend, or we could all become unpersons...
edit on 8/6/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Predictive policing? Whats next, some AI will decide I have potential for crime so I get snapped up?

NOPE NOPE NOPE. With apologies to my colleague above Its Minority Report meets 1984.

The issue as I see it as a gun owner in a restrictive state is that neither side being either the " we need a Ma Deuce (50 cal) in every home vs. the NO GUNS ever at all" is willing to actually sit down and find reasonable common ground that will prtect my constitutional right to own a gun(s) yet also make sure that psychos et al cannot.

Simple reforms that IMHO would work:

1) Background checks that are quick, reasonable, and cost a bare minimum to obtain. If the person cannot afford to pay it, it can be comped like a appointed attorney etc.
2) Like a professional license, you would need to reapply at a determined interval and show evidence of some sort of ongoing education. (As a nurse I have to attend continuing education to the tune of 20 hours every 2 years) I'm not suggesting that extreme but at least something similar to the Swiss model where shooters actually have to show proficiency with their firearms
3) A unified state/federal policy

Reforms that do not:

Outright bans (never pass constitutionally)
Banning types of guns because they look evil ie the AR-15 (My Ruger Scout is just as deadly and way more accurate)
Hi Capacity Mag bans: Go for it, I can load my AR with its 10 round magazine really fast so if someone is committed its not really going to make a difference. In fact Im way more accurate prone so the 30-40 round mag would make that difficult anyway
Treating me like a criminal when I buy ammo. What a joke and I still buy what I need and its no deterrent

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Minority Report, too.

To call this misguided would be to understate it by orders of magnitude.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join