It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth is we need Gun Control and Predictive Policing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
We seem to have extremes running Washington and it has deadly consequences.

1. We need more Gun Control. I'm a Conservative Independent and when people act like any gun control measures will be taking away their rights, it's just nonsense. We can make harder for those with mental illness to get a gun. We can have tougher background checks and add extra layers in order to buy a gun. We did the right thing in banning bum stocks

We need to have smart guns and smart gun technology that can be added to existing weapons. These guns can have sensors that detect when you're entering a shopping center and disable the gun. You can make it mandatory that all guns are equipped with smart gun technology.

2. We need Predictive Policing but the ACLU and Liberals in Congress will scream about privacy. What people don't understand is, there's no way that any human being can look at all of the data needed for an intelligent algorithm to make correlations in the data.

With the growth of big data, we're all sitting ducks if we don't allow the latest intelligent algorithms to find potential terrorists and mass shooters buried in all of the data.

The amount of data we produce every day is truly mind-boggling. There are 2.5 quintillion bytes of data created each day at our current pace, but that pace is only accelerating with the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT). Over the last two years alone 90 percent of the data in the world was generated. This is worth re-reading! While it’s almost impossible to wrap your mind around these numbers, I gathered together some of my favorite stats to help illustrate some of the ways we create these colossal amounts of data every single day.

Big Data

Again, the ACLU acts like we're in the old days of Hoover where some G-Man has a drawer full of manila folders with info on it. We're talking about more data than anyone can look at or understand. This is why we need these algorithms in the first place.

So 96 to 98% of the data will never bee seen by human eyes. Humans will just see the flagged data.

This flagged data will lead you to potential mass shooters and terrorists. These people will be talked to and monitored. I'm sure this shooter as well as many others would have been flagged by the algorithm.

If you don't do Predictive Policing then we're all doomed. Too many mass shooters and potential terrorist will be lost in the mountains of data and traditional investigations will never find the signals in the noise.

This shows that both parties seem to be paralyzed by their ideology and they can't do basic, common sense things. I hate to say it, but I don't know how the nation survives when it's this polarized. It's a powder keg that's on the verge of exploding.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

We need more guns ; obviously if those kids were packing heat they would have stopped the perp.

It's time we arm Walmart managers and teachers.
Use the unlimited ammo cheat

+48 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

~sigh~

We need to find out why everyone over 6 is being prescribed psychotropic drugs.

Dig into the one feature that is common with all these mass shooters...

+45 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If you want to live in that society, it exists. Move to China. They have both systems in place - gun control and predictive policing via the social credit system.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

It is inevitable if we want to keep our rights to bare arms. Prolly won't be perfect at first but better and better generations will eventually get to a less killing. Tech it seems is the only solution I can see.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I worked on sort of an off shoot of predictive policing... more reactive, but faster than police response.
I did a contract with an Israeli drone company.
Their vision is to link their drones with “smart city” meshes.
The drone is connected to a vast array of audio sensors that if a certain decibel goes off - example: a gun shot, the drone self deploys and heads to where the sound was triangulated by the audio sensors.
The company aims to have these drones strategically placed on building roofs, covering the city for instant eyes on the scene.
Each unit is $250,000.
The drone launches and lands in a rocket blast proof case, where a mechanical arm swaps it’s batteries out for it.

It’s a great idea...but expensive.
Most cities with large crime issues already are lacking in funding.
edit on 3-8-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And that will lead to thought crime.

No thanks.

What happened in El Paso is saddening, but we need to know more about the shooter and his motivation instead of trying to politicize this.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
“Smart guns.”

My favorite conception of the smart gun was that envisioned by Science Fiction author A.E.Van Vogt, who pictured a weapons technology which could only be used for defense against an aggressor.

Wonderful dream. We just need ever present omniscient AI, nano-fusion reactors, a complete system of citizen surveillance and perfect targeting techniques.

That was around 60 years ago.
Meanwhile we are busy not talking about it when mass shootings happen and fighting legislation in the intervals between, which keep getting briefer.

Nice dream though, those weapon shops of Isher.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

We need more guns ; obviously if those kids were packing heat they would have stopped the perp.

It's time we arm Walmart managers and teachers.
Use the unlimited ammo cheat

Quoted for bad sarcasm.

It's not ever going to happen in America sweety, no matter how much you fantasize about it.

Smart states are already arming their teachers.

Simply because making a law that ensures only murderers and psychos have guns in an area and then sending your kids there and expecting them to be safe is rather stupid.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Love that....

Stop crime instantly.....been thinking about live streaming witness alerts for a decade

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

~sigh~

America has had 200+ years of gun culture. Only in the 90's did we start seeing a major issue. I think you're right.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

~sigh~

America has had 200+ years of gun culture. Only in the 90's did we start seeing a major issue. I think you're right.

Over 90% of these people are on prescription psychotropics.

Wonder why THAT doesn't get mentioned a whole lot more?

It's not like Big Pharma has lobbyists with tons of money, after all...

Oh wait.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

It is inevitable if we want to keep our rights to bare arms. Prolly won't be perfect at first but better and better generations will eventually get to a less killing. Tech it seems is the only solution I can see.

EXACTLY!

Smart Guns will go a long way in solving these issues.

Also, WE NEED PREDICTIVE POLICING! We're generating HUGE AMOUNTS of Data and that will only increase with the Internet of Things. It has nothing to do with privacy. Human eyes will not see 95% of the data. It can't because it's too vast.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

~sigh~

That combined with a glorifying of war , Americans are used as the globalists hammer, the need for soldiers outweighs the consequences or should I say fall out .

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You think profiling society is a good idea? You’re willing to give up your privacy and your freedom that easy? Are you insane? There’s to much of it going on as it is. I personally don’t want to live in your Orwellian world, thanks but no thanks.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No thanks
Many died to secure our rights
I will not easily give them up

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

I worked on sort of an off shoot of predictive policing... more reactive, but faster than police response.
I did a contract with an Israeli drone company.
Their vision is to link their drones with “smart city” meshes.
The drone is connected to a vast array of audio sensors that if a certain decibel goes off - example: a gun shot, the drone self deploys and heads to were the sound was triangulated by the audio sensors.
The company aims to have these drones strategically placed on building roofs, covering the city for instant eyes on the scene.
Each unit is $250,000.
The drone launches and lands in a rocket blast proof case, where a mechanical arm swaps it’s batteries out for it.

It’s a great idea...but expensive.
Most cities with large crime issues already are lacking in funding.

Yes, we need ideas like this.

The sad part is, you have Politicians on both sides that will do nothing. You have the ACLU on one side and the NRA on the other controlling these Politicians.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

How would smart guns have stopped el paso?

I will wait ...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

It's painfully obvious isn't it?
these gunmen do not always be selective as to whom they kill....they just kill, and often nobody knows why, and nobody has a solution.

Yes, I see posters already making it a case of more guns, possibly political in nature, and pretty disgusting already, with little or no thought in the account!

Big discussions needed at the top level.....now, right away!

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Horse#

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join