It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How prevalent is mental illness in mass shootings? (just asked)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Those things cost money. Taxpayer money. Do you want your taxes to go up to help some junkie who can't help themselves?

I think there's a close correlation with mental illness and mass shootings. I also think there's a close correlation with poverty and general gun crimes.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

I think it is going to cost us much much more as a society if we don't honestly face this issue and start making decisions.

I don't think there is any correlation between poverty and gun crime. I really really hate to ask this question as I squirm when others request it of me, but would you have any information on the relation of poverty to gun crime?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

If you are going to give me some access to programs that exist but are managed like dog sh!t, I think we might be able to find enough money to try a few ideas. Which is how this needs to start. find out what works, then move on from there.

A group I follow has come up with a solution to PTSD that is cheap, effective, and easy. If we look at small groups like this, and expand ideas, maybe we can find a way out. right now, doing nothing seems to yield the same results as doing nothing yesterday.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Oh and the attempts to tie in "mental health" with these shootings is a secret way in for the gun grabbers. It's like an unlocked window on the side of the house.

Once they can ban guns from the 'mentally ill', they can ban guns from everyone. It's easy to diagnose someone with creative vague language. The mental health diagnosis system isn't really based on science at all. It's based on how creative the doctor is and how good they are at painting a picture.

Anyone can be labeled and pigeonholed into some form of "mental illness". So therefore anyone with a gun can be tried in a court of mental health and found guilty of "not thinking the way we want" and so therefore their gun rights rescinded extra-judicially.

The Soviets and Maoists (along with totalitarian govt of all stripes) in particular used that tactic to successfully send millions to camps and gulags.

Get a state employed "doctor" to make a claim and bingo bango bongo, you have a crazy person that needs to be removed for the "safety" of society.

Tried and true tactic.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There are A LOT of problems with this subject, let me go over a few.

1. What is mental illness? Unlike ailments, viruses, bacteria, auto-immune disorders, parasites, injuries, cancers, and mutations can all be detected with scans, chemical tests, physical side effects or can be seen under a microscope. Mental illness is a ghost. All we have to go off of are behaviors. There are plenty of mental diagnosis' but how can we really tell the difference between one and another outside of behavior? Which can potentially be purposefully manifested! Arent they all just chemical imbalances? Are they malfunctioning synapses? What is happening PHYSICALLY inside the brain that differentiates someone with Bi-polar disordervs. someone with Borderline personality disorder? Do we even know? We dont understand the brain enough yet.

2. I agree with some others in here who say this... If someone becomes a mass murderer, doesnt that automatically make them have some sort of wire crossed upstairs? The act of killing people isnt the norm. If you do something like that, isnt hte act itself a side effect of a bigger issue? Wouldnt that issue be some mental disorder?

3. If this is the case, then we have an even bigger problem. People can no longer really be held responsible for their actions. SO would we throw that thought process out the window? What are we left with?

4. People in our country and in the world dont take it seriously. Case in point, on this forum... theres people who are actually serious when they say "being a liberal is a mental illness" yeah its a joke from most, but theres people who really think that way. IF thats the case, like other people have said, what is to stop the government or police or doctors from proclaiming people with certain beleif systems crazy?

The whole thing is a mess, which is why our country cannot wrap their arms around it.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
A little off topic- but I'm getting pretty tired of the term "mass shooting"

mass has to be slang for massive, right? I mean, around here it's slang for Massachusetts - but that doesn't make sense in context.

So... mass shooting? a quick search in the gargler gives me a shooting in texas, presumably the most recent... but it claims 20 dead. is that massive?

I mean, sure - to those families. I mean a broken bone is a massive hit to the individual (I checked, my whole years productivity is wrecked) but this seems like a poor use of language.

MASS event. I would think that's a tsunami that wipes out 50,000 people. Mass extinction, anyone?

The US government is to blame, IMO.

The United States' Congressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition, and defines a "public mass shooting"[2] as an event where someone selects four or more people indiscriminately, and kills them, echoing the FBI's definition of the term "mass murder".[3]

Unfortunately, the US government has become just another victim in the "squeaky wheel" syndrome.... too many losers complaining too loudly has forced the government to quiet them.
FOUR people is not a "mass" shooting. #, I'm allowed to have five rounds in my hunting rifle when taking out coyotes- If I took out four in one event it would decimate the local population of them... but I'd be a hero to the local human community.
Is that a mass shooting?

The media has ruined our language.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It feels like a pointless question for me, an attempt to control the narrative around these events, let's be honest if the perpetrator was muslim we wouldn't be talking about mental illness. Yet so many of these mass shooters seem just as indoctrinated by hate as those terrorists acting for ISIS.

It's a potentially dangerous assumption to make as well, raising suspicion on people with a mental health diagnosis, how many gun-related homicides are perpetrated by people with a mental health diagnosis? Not many according to this link.

Mass Shootings and Mental Illness

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

I'm with the others who believe that anyone who would inflict such grievous harm on another is mentally ill, to put it kindly.

Mental illness are pretty natural.

<< 1   >>

join