It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I don't believe he has seen anything other than the same 4 pages we all have access to which means the Lt. Gov is either purposely misrepresentating what the manifesto actually says regarding COD or he has severe reading comprehension problems.

Based specifically on what was said in the manifesto regarding COD we don't even know that he ever even played the game.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The Texas Lt. Gov is twisting this video game angle for some agenda.

Here is what the manifesto said:

Remember: it is not cowardly to pick low hanging fruit. AKA Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy. Attack low security targets.

Here is what the Lt. Gov wants you to think it said:

"This was maybe a video game to this evil demon. A video game to him. He has no sense of humanity, no sense of life. He wanted to be a super soldier, for his Call of Duty game, so we need to look at all of this and who we are."

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

I don't believe he has seen anything other than the same 4 pages we all have access to which means the Lt. Gov is either purposely misrepresentating what the manifesto actually says regarding COD or he has severe reading comprehension problems.

Based specifically on what was said in the manifesto regarding COD we don't even know that he ever even played the game.

The shooter specifically mentioned COD and fullfilling "super soldier fantasies".

That's enough to show he was more than familiar with the game.

The fact that it was made part of his 'final' manifesto...adds to the fact that COD and fantasies involving COD were significant to him.

Death bed confessions are usually succinct and contain only the most significant limited amount of information.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Remember: it is not cowardly to pick low hanging fruit. AKA Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy. Attack low security targets.

"Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy. Attack low security targets."

Was this Walmart "heavily guarded"?

Apparently not.
edit on 4-8-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But even in your statement that you target at the games, you open the door to the real problem -- WHERE WERE HIS PARENTS?

As a parent, it's your job to know your kid and teach them the boundary between reality and fantasy. It's your job to know when that is slipping or when your kid is losing. It's your job to raise them in a healthy way to know how to accomplish things and achieve in reality and recognize and value personal achievement without needing outside validation all the time.

He was as much failed by his parents on many levels as he ever was by Call of Duty which was just one aspect of his family's failure.

And yes, some kids have problems despite having the best families but they are few and far in between. I'll bet if you dig into it, this kid didn't have the best upbringing.

Isn't the suspect in his early twenties? That's "a child", is it? We would expect folks that age to be able to distinguish many things, including reality and fantasy.

Over in Europe, in several nations, you would have probably graduated college at his age and be on the way to graduate employment or something. Please...

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

The shooter specifically mentioned COD and fullfilling "super soldier fantasies".

That's enough to show he was more than familiar with the game.

The fact that it was made part of his 'final' manifesto...adds to the fact that COD and fantasies involving COD were significant to him.

Death bed confessions are usually succinct and contain only the most significant limited amount of information.

I feel like the post above yours does a really good job showing what was said vs what people are trying to read into it.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Apparently not.

Maybe you read the quote wrong then, "AKA Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy." What he is saying is attack easy targets or things that are not heavily guarded.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You need to read the Manifesto. He did not say he was fulfilling super soldier fantasies. He said DON'T do something to fulfill YOUR super soldier fantasy.

I don't want to turn this into defending this murderer but twisting words that are written for all to read is not helping anything.

Until such time as we know more about how COD figured in his life you can't say this one sentence says anything about him having fantasies.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

That sort of problem doesn't build up overnight.

I've worked with kids who were playing games like CoD when they were 5 and bragging about how they played "Rated M for Mature" games. You could tell they were skewed by it too, but that's on the parents.

Too many parents think that video games are games, and games are for kids. They don't pay attention to ratings or think about it. Then they hook their kids up to it for hours at a time, let them just plug in. The same thing tends to be done with cartoons. They don't really pay attention to cartoons in the same way. That's how you get little kids seeing things like South Park in the theatre and then the parents get mad about it.

As a parent who plays games myself, I know better. Our kid doesn't have a console for a reason. He doesn't have an iPad or smart phone for a reason. When he games, it's on one of our computers and we pay attention to what games he plays and how much, again, for a reason.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Apparently not.

Maybe you read the quote wrong then, "AKA Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy." What he is saying is attack easy targets or things that are not heavily guarded.

He is literally saying: "Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy."
As such...
He chose a poorly-guarded area (Walmart) to fulfill his own super soldier COD fantasy.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

You'd have to be slightly stupid in the first place to be overly "influenced" by media, games etc - like the Germans during the time of Nazi ideology. A bit thick, a bit gullible and easily swayed by some public speaker from Austria who mostly spouted rubbish.

Hmmmm...let's examine your statement.

Don't ya think someone who walks into a Walmart and MURDERS 20 people and wounds 26 others is kind of "stupid"??? I would certainly hope that isn't your definition of 'smart'!

Now let's look at the 2nd part about the Nazis...

Well, except for the fact that some of those people who were a "bit thick, a bit gullible and easily swayed by a public speaker..." MURDERED over a million people in a genocidal rampage! Yeah, I think they're pretty "stupid" too!

Bottom line...stupid people do stupid stuff, tragically stupid stuff. In both cases, if these "stupid" people had a little bit better teaching and guidance they wouldn't be so stupid, now would they??? Once more to the parenting thing.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I am lost. Maybe you aren't understanding what was said in his manifesto or I'm not understanding what part of this quote you are having a problem with.

He is saying that it IS NOT cowardly to attack places that ARE NOT heavily guarded.

Ipso facto he attacked the NOT " heavily guarded" Walmart specifically because it was a "low security target."

Is there some other point you were making that I don't understand?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Trump supporters are the new Al-Qaeda, time to label them as domestic terrorist.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Apparently not.

He is literally saying: "Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy."
As such...
He chose a poorly-guarded area (Walmart) to fulfill his own super soldier COD fantasy.

Based on the quote provided you are making an assumption that because he didn't do what he lists as a COD fantasy then the opposite of that must also have been a fantasy.

We could argue semantics on this probably forever though and I don't think we are going to hit a common ground. Im not going to scapegoat anything in this scenario. A cowardly , waste of flesh made the active choice to pull the trigger and kill innocents for me , personally, it starts and stops with that. Having only worked for a part of the full company behind COD for a year my opinion on matters like this has been constant on ATS over the years so please don't think it's just a you work for the evil empire so you are defending it scenario.
edit on 4-8-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Bingo!

That is exactly what he said, and that is exactly what he did.

Not a lot of arguing those facts.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Bingo!

That is exactly what he said, and that is exactly what he did.

Not a lot of arguing those facts.

Thanks.
Apparently, some think I wasn't expressing this clearly enough.

link   

I certainly hope the average human has the ability to distinguish between a 1st Person Shooter and real life.

The overwhelming amount of people CAN and DO.

But it only takes the occasional mentally-unstable, loser, among the very small percentage that can't distinguish the difference...that wants to live out, in real life, these bloody fantasies they endlessly indulge in through these games...in order to get these real, live (formerly) large body counts.

... and the people who engage in these acts probAbly didn’t need a video game to give them the idea.

The chicken/egg conversation is an interesting one but we’re too quick to blame “something” - I.e. COd or the like.

There are some really psychologically unstable people in this world and I put a lot of that on parents when we’re talking about young people.

Hell, I sat next to a kid on a plane the other day who was creepy AF. Emo, pale white, jet black hair, wouldn’t respond to flight attendants, tweeking/shaking/itching his neck, starred at me randomly with this blank, dark stare until I finally just looked him in the eye like “I can I help you?” And he stopped. He just gave me the vibe like he is very unstable and the flight attendants kept an eye on him. I could see him shooting up a Walmart entirely. I drew the line when he started biting his cell phone and took and tried to take a picture of my wife - who is beautiful - but that didn’t fly with me and so it had to be rectified. Serious creeper.

But why is he like that? Where are the parents? Why are they allowing this waste of flesh to be like that? This isn’t a video game problem it’s an enabling problem. Kid needed to get his butt whipped into shape a long time ago. No he’s weird, unsocialized and a massive creeper with perceptively nothing to lose. That’s how you end up with mass shooters - it’s not COD.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The parents plug these kids into these games because it makes them leave the parents alone. Kiddo just goes away and doesn't bother anyone. Otherwise, said parent might actually have to WORK to be a parent...and that is just NOT an option for many.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I wonder if the shooter spent much time with this RPG. Super Columbine Massacre...it's rad!!!

www.columbinegame.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thing is that people outside games and gaming don't get that people, generations now, have grown up with games and gaming. Games have matured with their audience.

So to get into gaming, you do have the full range like you would with movies and TV. There are still parents who don't understand, or choose not to understand, that. Or even if they grew up with games, they're too excited about playing with their kids to think about protecting them about the more explicit and adult themed games.

How many times do you think, "Wow, my 5-year-old kid watches movies! I can't wait to sit down and watch Pulp Fiction with him." But there are parents who think their 5-year-olds can partner them in shooters. I don't know. Maybe too parents treat games like watching football or basketball where the kids can sit there and enjoy your favorite sports with you. But it's really not the same.

Parents need to tone down the content to play with their kids. The activity you can enjoy, but on a content level your kids can access safely.

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join