It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm likely about to be pummeled for this statement.

From what I just heard from the Lieutnant Governor, his kid supposedly wanted to live out his own 'Call of Duty' fantasy.

START with one parent's-basement-dwelling, introverted, mentally ill, kid...

Pour hours and hours of adrenaline-pumping, fantasy, massacre, day after day, into his brain through video games...

Praise and reward this loser, online...

You have a recipe for what we're seeing now.

MOST playing these 'games' will NOT go to the mall on a killing spree...but you only need that 'perfect storm' of one occasional, mentally unstable, introverted, kid...losing touch with the boundary between fantasy and reality while enjoying piling up body counts on video games...in order to get a real-life bloodbath.

Hollywood and these bloody, savage, mass-killing games always get a pass when it comes to blame after these tragedies.

...And the 'games' just keep getting bloodier and bloodier...in order to sell more and more units...to more and more potential mass-shooters.

Mom's basements across the country are inadvertantly becoming mass-murderer factories.

edit on 4-8-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Not from me you won't!!!

That's exactly what's happening in society today, and there's no way people can deny it!

I think you summed it up far better than I did.

And, I'm not advocating banning anything! I'm advocating...better parenting through reality immersion, not fantasy immersion as a result of lazy parenting!

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
So to recap;

20 dead, 26 injured.

Suspect in custody.

Had to walk away from this topic yesterday. Blood not even drying and it became politicized.

Tragic that these things happen. But in a free society, bad people often abuse those freedoms that we all enjoy.

I see the arguments and it astonishes me that so many would desire to give up freedoms just because a bad person abused his.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

From what I just heard from the Lieutnant Governor, his kid supposedly wanted to live out his own 'Call of Duty' fantasy.

Pour hours and hours of adrenaline-pumping, fantasy, massacre, day after day, into his brain through video games...

MOST playing these 'games' will NOT go to the mall on a killing spree...but you only need that 'perfect storm' of one occasional, mentally unstable, introverted, kid...losing touch with the boundary between fantasy and reality while enjoying piling up body counts on video games...in order to get a real-life bloodbath.

Hollywood and these bloody, savage, mass-killing games always get a pass when it comes to blame after these tragedies.

...And the 'games' just keep getting bloodier and bloodier...in order to sell more and more units...to more and more potential mass-shooters.

Mom's basements across the country are inadvertantly becoming mass-murderer factories.

AS A DISCLAIMER: I actually work for the parent company that develops Call Of Duty so I am sure I have some bias that way..

I have an issue with just about all of this post but you are welcome to your thoughts just like I am welcome to mine.

You could literally take any hot button target of the past 60 years from heavy metal music to Dungeons and Dragons to Horror Films to Video Games to Magic the Gathering to pro wrestling and figure out a way to blame them in a scenario like this. For me personally I live my life in one way and that is personal accountability. This cowardly, waste of flesh made the conscious choice to go to a WalMart , walk in with a weapon and start randomly killing people. One person is responsible for this equation and it's the shooter. I have no opinion on gun ownership as I never have owned a gun and don't think i ever will. It doesnt mean others can't , don't or shouldn't so nothing im saying comes from that perspective.

I just believe that sometimes a person is responsible for their actions and you , not you directly, shouldn't always try and find anyone to blame other than that person. They made the choice to live life in whatever manner they chose. I know it's the flavor of the month with Millennials to always have a reason or explanation or target as long as it's not them for why they failed, did it wrong, didn't get the job they want, didnt date the person they wanted but Extreme Ownership is something this world needs more of.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

better parenting through reality immersion, not fantasy immersion as a result of lazy parenting!

Yes.

These mass-killing 'games' are also designed to allow killing through the operator's POV.

The 'players' pull the triggers...do, see and are personally responsible for the killing taking place in these 'games'.

Bloody movies don't do this...the person doing the killing in a film is NOT, the viewer, himself...so the psychological effects on the viewer are exponentially less than these games.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Agreed. I'm not saying we need to ban violent video games or anything like that. First of all, most issues are very complex and simplistic solutions like "ban xyz" almost never solve anything. And there are certainly plenty of people who play these types of games and have no problems at all. I enjoy some video games myself, including violent ones. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have a seriously negative impact on some people. To ignore this factor in the gun violence debate is irresponsible and honestly makes me think some people aren't serious about improving things. ALL factors should be considered, researched, and taken into account.

But no, just ban guns right? Unrealistic and ineffective, but it'll make some people feel good so the conversation revolves around that instead of real solutions.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You'd have to be slightly stupid in the first place to be overly "influenced" by media, games etc - like the Germans during the time of Nazi ideology. A bit thick, a bit gullible and easily swayed by some public speaker from Austria who mostly spouted rubbish.

Sure, young people may be influenced by many different things, but people go overboard with saying folks are "impressionable" and easily influenced. It's like really young kids believing in Santa Claus. I never believed it back then and neither did most kids I knew. Same with "God"...

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I don't think it's video games anymore than it is milk. Take one kid who drank milk as a baby and add socialization problems and...

The COD issue is blown out proportion IMO. I read his supposed manifesto and he mentioned COD once and in the context of this not being a COD fantasy of his.

I played video games as a kid, I still play video games, including COD; so do millions of others. I also went outside and played cops and robbers and war games. The difference is these people have a problem, which might be exacerbated by social problems and they just happen to have played video games and drank milk as a baby.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I certainly hope the average human has the ability to distinguish between a 1st Person Shooter and real life. If not then this is a psychological problem that goes beyond the video game.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
Bill Clinton disarmed our soldiers in our military bases, and what we got have been more soldiers murdered because no one with a firearm was inside the military bases... Instead cops have to come from outside the bases, wait for back up which leaves the murderers to kill more of our soldiers and then they go in.

What? When was the last time you were on a military base? There's armed security forces EVERYWHERE, starting at the gates.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

We'll also just conveniently ignore the fact that more than 70% of all crime in Mexico goes unreported / undocumented.

So, yeah...Mexico is such a safe place!

I didn't say Mexico was "a safe place". I was merely pointing to the stats.

How can it be "fact" that more than 70% of all crime in Mexico goes unreported/undocumented? Where do you get this rubbish from?

I could just as easily retort that over 67% of all crime in the state of Illinois goes unreported/undocumented...

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I agree this pos is responsible for his own actions (even with mental illness involved)...just as I understand your point that you are speaking from the position of someone who's livelihood is dependent on the sale of these games.
I respect your frankness.

However...This guy can 'like' something the President said on Twitter...and he becomes a Trump-supporting white-supremacist in the eyes of the media.

That same kid says he wants to live out his own 'Call Of Duty' mass-killing fantasy...and 'crickets' from the MSM.
All the while, your employer's sales keep climbing higher.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

I certainly hope the average human has the ability to distinguish between a 1st Person Shooter and real life.

The overwhelming amount of people CAN and DO.

But it only takes the occasional mentally-unstable, loser, among the very small percentage that can't distinguish the difference...that wants to live out, in real life, these bloody fantasies they endlessly indulge in through these games...in order to get these real, live (formerly) large body counts.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Not really arguing but want to point a few things out. Military personal living on base are not permitted to keep fire arms. Yes, there are military police but I wouldn't say they are everywhere nor do they tend to be in large armed numbers all over the base. Usually the front gates and some around more secure areas but in general they aren't patrolling the Commissary and PX/BX or the onbase schools and parks.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

But that has nothing to do with the video game. Fantasies come from all sorts of things. Heck we have had serial killer that thought a radio and a dog was telling him what to do but we don't blame dogs and radios.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

But even in your statement that you target at the games, you open the door to the real problem -- WHERE WERE HIS PARENTS?

As a parent, it's your job to know your kid and teach them the boundary between reality and fantasy. It's your job to know when that is slipping or when your kid is losing. It's your job to raise them in a healthy way to know how to accomplish things and achieve in reality and recognize and value personal achievement without needing outside validation all the time.

He was as much failed by his parents on many levels as he ever was by Call of Duty which was just one aspect of his family's failure.

And yes, some kids have problems despite having the best families but they are few and far in between. I'll bet if you dig into it, this kid didn't have the best upbringing.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

a reply to: opethPA

I agree this pos is responsible for his own actions (even with mental illness involved)...just as I understand your point that you are speaking from the position of someone who's livelihood is dependent on the sale of these games.
I respect your frankness.

However...This guy can 'like' something the President said on Twitter...and he becomes a Trump-supporting white-supremacist in the eyes of the media.

That same kid says he wants to live out his own 'Call Of Duty' mass-killing fantasy...and 'crickets' from the MSM.
All the while, your employer's sales keep climbing higher.

Fair enough. 😎

Me personally I'm not going to feel any shame, work any less hard or hope where I work is less successful because the one or random person that had issues already played a video game.

Im proud of where I work, proud of the content delivered and millions of hours of enjoyment given to people that have played video games over the years.

This waste is, by far, the exception and not the rule.

link   

I have not seen where he said he wanted to live out a COD fantasy. Do you have a source?

I am not by an means condoning the crap he said in this manifesto but I don't want MSM or politicians perpetuating a falsehood.

The only COD reference I have seen that is supposedly from him was in his manifesto that specifically said "Don't attack a heavily guarded area to fulfill your super soldier fantasy."

edit on 4-8-2019 by Identified because: Typo

link   

But that has nothing to do with the video game. Fantasies come from all sorts of things. Heck we have had serial killer that thought a radio and a dog was telling him what to do but we don't blame dogs and radios.

Right.
'Son of Sam' was nuts, too.
As I said...it only takes one crazy playing these games and wishing to act out their fantasy...out of that small (but, unfortunately, growing) percentile of mentally ill people...to get a mass-killing.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I have not seen where he said he wanted to live out a COD fantasy. Do you have a source?

I am not by an means condoning the crap he said in this manifesto but I don't want MSM or politicians perpetuating a falsehood.

The only COD refwr I have seen that is supposedly from him was in his manifes that soecifically said "Don't attack a heavily guarded area to fulfill your super soldier fantasy."

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas just said it was in his 'manifesto'.

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join