It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Walmart in El Paso, TX

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm not a gun owner, never needed or wanted a firearm of any kind for any reason. I understand and support the 2nd. I don't think "gun control" is the solution, but I'm undecided on assault type weapons with high capacity. Seems like the weapon of choice for too many of these mass shooters. Is there any "sensible" regulations that could make this type of weapon more difficult to obtain legally without being a slippery slope to infringing on rights?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Police will hold presser at 7:30 Eastern, 5:30 in El Paso. I'm guessing that's Mountain Time Zone.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

The problem is that most of these are simply slick looking cosmetic packages slapped on more or less standard hunting type rifles.

I know there is a discussion on what's typically thought of as the "evil" assault rifle, but a lot of folks use it to hunt feral pigs.

link   

originally posted by: ausername
I'm not a gun owner, never needed or wanted a firearm of any kind for any reason. I understand and support the 2nd. I don't think "gun control" is the solution, but I'm undecided on assault type weapons with high capacity. Seems like the weapon of choice for too many of these mass shooters. Is there any "sensible" regulations that could make this type of weapon more difficult to obtain legally without being a slippery slope to infringing on rights?

They've only actually become the weapon of choice since the media started reporting they're the weapon of choice. Up until a few years ago, handguns were the most common weapon used in mass shootings. (Thanks media.)

It doesn't matter anyway, since you can kill just as many people with a handgun. Whether it's a rifle or a handgun, it only fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. The Parkland shooter used 10-round magazines and reloaded at least 10 times during that incident. Magazine limits or restricting rifles won't do anything.
edit on 3 8 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Police will hold presser at 7:30 Eastern, 5:30 in El Paso. I'm guessing that's Mountain Time Zone.

Yep, it is.

But Fox keeps saying the shooting started at 1:00 MDT...but wasn't it at 11:00 a.m. MDT?

The AP keeps reporting 15 dead...and yet the police said one dead. Anybody know whose right on this? I guess I'll wait for half an hour and maybe they will have more concrete info...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Jansy

CNN just says 23 injured and multiple killed. They at one time said each hospital had 11 victims with injuries ranging from life-threatening to not severe.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The guy at Virginia Tech used handguns if I recall correctly.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

No.

BTW can put a 30 round mag in a pocket pistol while most legislation thinks anything over 10 rounds is "high capacity". If you train enough you can also change a 10 round mag in a second. High capacity is a trigger word created by legislators who have never touched a gun.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The guy at Virginia Tech used handguns if I recall correctly.

He did, and one of them was a .22. And he killed more people than this guy was able to with his "military-style assault rifle," "weapon of war" or whatever the incorrect terminology the gun control crowd is using these days.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Another problem is that lawmakers talk about no one needing a machine gun style semi-automatic rifle as though that is the proper term for a machine gun. It isn't, and banning semi-automatics would ban almost all commonly sold firearms in the country because most are semi-automatic.

They count of people not knowing.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Now saying on CNN per Texas AG at least 15 dead.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Another problem is that lawmakers talk about no one needing a machine gun style semi-automatic rifle as though that is the proper term for a machine gun. It isn't, and banning semi-automatics would ban almost all commonly sold firearms in the country because most are semi-automatic.

They count of people not knowing.

Yup and they are making the right bet.

Majority of people are so ignorant on the topic it's startling. Worse yet, their voice seems to get LOUDER in relation to their increased level of ignorance.
edit on 3-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Now saying on CNN per Texas AG at least 15 dead.

Yeah, anywhere from 15 to 20. They won't pin it down.

Damn it!

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

No.

BTW can put a 30 round mag in a pocket pistol while most legislation thinks anything over 10 rounds is "high capacity". If you train enough you can also change a 10 round mag in a second. High capacity is a trigger word created by legislators who have never touched a gun.

Truth. And these are the same people that turn around and whine about us correcting them and saying they don't have to be an expert to know these things need to be off the street and terminology doesn't matter.

Yes, actually, it matters a lot because their solution is always to craft new laws. Laws need very exact language in them. If you don't know what the # you're talking about, you can't write an effective law. This was why even after Newtown when a nutcase with an "assault rifle" killed a bunch of children Congress still couldn't pass an "assault weapons ban." It wasn't that there wasn't enough support to ban that particular kind of gun, it was because the way Feinstein wrote the #ing law it was so poorly worded that it effectively banned all semi-auto rifles. They couldn't even get all the Democrats on board with it. The NRA didn't kill the bill, gun control nuts that don't know what they're talking about killed the bill.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

As far as many of them are concerned it doesn't matter. They want them all banned. They aren't looking at precise.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

As far as many of them are concerned it doesn't matter. They want them all banned. They aren't looking at precise.

I think that as well. But the choices aren't good. They're either incredibly stupid or they're intentionally deceiving people.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
They caught this perp?

Holy crap will it be a crapstorm when he speaks

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
They caught this perp?

Lol, they won't actually let him speak. They'll "take statements" and use "selected quotes", that's all the info you'll get. Other than his manifesto(if it is authentic).

He lays it all out pretty well in there.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
A bad man did something terrible.

We can all agree on that.

Motives? That we can debate. Was the bad man influenced by the left, the right? Regardless, it comes back to the bad man.

Now the politicians and pundits that was to ban guns as a result of this. You all are opportunistic assholes. Punishing law-abiding citizens because of a bad man is the ideation of a fascist authoritarian asshole.

Don't be a fascist authoritarian asshole.

'Kay?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: shooterbrody
They caught this perp?

Lol, they won't actually let him speak. They'll "take statements" and use "selected quotes", that's all the info you'll get. Other than his manifesto(if it is authentic).

He lays it all out pretty well in there.

Oh really?
He will have an arraignment hearing.
He will have the opportunity to speak.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join