It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haggling is brilliant, corporate national stores suck

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wha reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Whatever, you are still whining like a child lol, oh noes, the bad man is offering me less than my asking price, how can I ever say no without getting angry???!
Funny as #!.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure
a reply to: schuyler
it seems US members hate striking deals though, the only UK members replying are like me.
I'm not making it that way, but to anyone with an ounce of intelligence reading this thread they would see the same.
Honestly mate, I always assumed the land of the free haggled but so far I seem off target with such thoughts.

Like I said earlier, we always haggle on cars. Not that unusual at all. But for small Mom & Pop retail stores? They already cannot compete with Amazon and the like. Haggling with them is sticking the knife in and turning it.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Wow man you're so triggered that you think this is a political troll thread?πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

How many times has OP made allusion to Trump or UK vs. USA or Brexit or whatev at this point?

What are we talkin' then? Motorbikes? Baking recipes?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Wow man you're so triggered that you think this is a political troll thread?πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'd say judging by the content of your posts you could work on your interaction skills and maybe, just maybe you'll realise that everything isn't about politics, you or how offended you get by things.

You can always say no, fairly sure that's been mentioned a few times. Btw politeness makes the world go round in a smoother fashion so take that lemon out of your mouth and next time maybe make some lemonade you sourpuss. I'll even give ya a good deal on sugar
Lmfao quoted because this post didn't deserve being stuck at the bottom of the last page!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How? Can mom and pop stores not just politely refuse a lower offer?
I'd just say no if it was my store, done it loads of times in my business life, will continue doing so as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My points have been directly relevant to the discussion, stop crying mate x

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I'd say it's par for the course around ATS these days and if you're getting triggered by his clearly tongue in cheek comments then you've gotten too involved with the politics here.

He's having a laugh, silly little jokes that are more friendly in nature than anything else. It's the British way. I mean seriously, it's happening in every thread here and you're snapping at what I would judge as very mild mannered jabs, there's no bitterness or resentment at all in his posts.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Sheye
You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

If someone is going to low-ball like that, they might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

I agree ... a couple of times I’ve even offered more than asking price at garage sales because it was well worth it. A lady was once selling off the estate of her mom and dad and she seemed really stressed as well as sad.

Her mother was a seamstress and sewed beautiful clothes and gowns. She was selling these clothing items and gowns for 50 cents a piece! I bought a dress and an almost brand new London Fog men’s jacket , but I insisted she take at least five dollars for each item as they were actually worth much more. She seemed surprised, yet grateful, that I didn’t try and haggle a lower price. The dress was long and form fitting with red sparkly hearts all over it. I told her I’d think of her dear mother when I served my husband at the time a Valentine meal wearing the dress. That put a smile on her face and on mine as I walked away feeling like not only had I gotten good deals but I connected with a few souls in the process.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   

stop crying mate x

Gosh I'll try my best.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

If someone is going to low-ball like that, they might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

I agree ... a couple of times I’ve even offered more than asking price at garage sales because it was well worth it. A lady was once selling off the estate of her mom and dad and she seemed really stressed as well as sad.

Her mother was a seamstress and sewed beautiful clothes and gowns. She was selling these clothing items and gowns for 50 cents a piece! I bought a dress and an almost brand new London Fog men’s jacket , but I insisted she take at least five dollars for each item as they were actually worth much more. She seemed surprised, yet grateful, that I didn’t try and haggle a lower price. The dress was long and form fitting with red sparkly hearts all over it. I told her I’d think of her dear mother when I served my husband at the time a Valentine meal wearing the dress. That put a smile on her face and on mine as I walked away feeling like not only had I gotten good deals but I connected with a few souls in the process.

Right. That's how it works. That's a great transaction. Good on ya Sheye.

Glad you didn't try to toss a nickel for 2 dresses like OP thinks is a respectable thing to be doing.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Gosh, business is business, if you are so vulnerable that you can't just no chance mate, too low to an offer then your society is #ed as far as I see it!
Innocent thread about humans dealing with each other, then vociferous opposition from snowflake US members who cry and wet their panties because saying no mate is too difficult.
Genuinely shaking my head now

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Gosh, business is business, if you are so vulnerable that you can't just no chance mate, too low to an offer then your society is #ed as far as I see it!
Innocent thread about humans dealing with each other, then vociferous opposition from snowflake US members who cry and wet their panties because saying no mate is too difficult.
Genuinely shaking my head now

I'll get as angry and impolite as I want with weasels and their crappy, insulting offers. That's how snowflakes like me roll.

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

it seems US members hate striking deals though, the only UK members replying are like me.
I'm not making it that way, but to anyone with an ounce of intelligence reading this thread they would see the same.
Honestly mate, I always assumed the land of the free haggled but so far I seem off target with such thoughts.

Like I said earlier, we always haggle on cars. Not that unusual at all. But for small Mom & Pop retail stores? They already cannot compete with Amazon and the like. Haggling with them is sticking the knife in and turning it.

I can understand that, my retail experience mainly came from pubs, bars and restaurants and they don't really turn that much profit from the sale of alcohol, margins between 7-30% depending on product averagely. The big ticket items tend to be food and mixers, soda and snacks. It's why it's all about shelf space and stocking items that actually sell well.

I'm too young to remember but in the 80's and early 90's over here the only small retailers that really made it were the one's that joined co-operatives, basically a form of profit sharing between small retailers, basically making them into a larger entity. More buying power, better logistics, better deals on bulk items etc etc.

It's still bad these days over here too tbh but at the same time small businesses are doing well too, it's all about providing a good service and being innovative... Many stores deliver these days including breakfast bars and takeaways during the day.

Workers need food and like to treat themselves, the elderly struggle to get around and so do the disabled. Hell sometimes people just like to be lazy. I most definitely hear you though, it's why I believe corporations should be taxed more, small businesses less. The competition is unfairly balanced but that's for another thread really.
edit on 2-8-2019 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Then I genuinely feel for your society if that is a typical mindset.
πŸ™
I like respectful human trade, eye to eye, working a deal we can both live with.
Your world seems crazy to me, and pretty much every nation I've ever lived in. Land of the free? Lmfao not if you are a nasty man offering less than asking price!
πŸ˜‚
edit on 2-8-2019 by Silure because: Damn that autocorrect lol

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Then I genuinely feel for your society if that is a typical mindset.
πŸ™

There, there.

Well it was about that time that I noticed that the Girl Scout was about 8 stories tall and a crustacean from the protozoic era

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: cactus cactus

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Sorry mate, didn't understand the joke, or relevance to being offended when someone makes an offer for goods which are lower than the asking price.
That is total snowflake issues if that offends you πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure
reply to myself lol, too chicken # to just politely say no! Couldn't make that up as a story Lmfao πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

How? Can mom and pop stores not just politely refuse a lower offer? I'd just say no if it was my store, done it loads of times in my business life, will continue doing so as well.

Because it's impolite, if not insulting. And coming from what is deemed a "polite" society (unlike here) I find that doubly amazing. You're picking on the lowest common denominator store, where, unlike a chain, you know you have a chance to beat them down. And here's a Mom & Pop store with margins as thin as a razor blade and you're trying to extort money from them. And it's quite obvious from your answers that you are very aggressive about it. I consider your behavior aggressive and obnoxious, just like a lot of panhandlers. I'd hate to see you coming.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Sorry mate, didn't understand the joke, or relevance to being offended when someone makes an offer for goods which are lower than the asking price.
That is total snowflake issues if that offends you πŸ˜‚

Dude. I know it's hard for you to make the distinction. Your posts indicate you have problems learning how to read.

But there is a difference between a reasonable offer in the name of haggling, and the kind of offer that is a clear jest like the one cited in my example.

You, as a person, seem incapable of making that distinction.

Make a lower offer that is reasonable. Great!

Make the clear buttslam offer of a clown, then you deserve to get ridiculed and thrown to the ditch.

Really though. Enjoy your hobo society, I wish you the best.

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: cactus cactus

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Silure
reply to myself lol, too chicken # to just politely say no! Couldn't make that up as a story Lmfao πŸ˜‚

You're trolling. You really are. Time will prove me right.

Enjoy your stay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join