It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haggling is brilliant, corporate national stores suck

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I haggle. Lol. Even as a kid. About 10yr old, 'found' some cash and went to K Mart and bought a nice Nikon EM with auto film advance. Lol then asked for manager. Said paying cash but want you to throw in the shoulder camera bag for free, he shook his head and said ok. Lol

Also used to sell at flea markets, had a thousand of these things you screw in the light fixture instead of the light bulb. Well asked .25cts. Some India guy said I give you 5cent. I started throwing them at him as he ran away. Lol. Cheap bastards. Lol

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm self employed with 2 businesses and hagglers are the worst, they think just because you own the business they are entitled to a discount or something. It's annoying, and only cuts into profits needed to expand the business. Walmart doesn't haggle, clothing stores don't haggle, amazon doesn't haggle, so why should I?

It's not my responsibility to make the service affordable, it's your responsibility to afford the service.

The only time I haggle is with a used vehicle/equipment.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
Cheers mate, maybe we are different here in the UK and respect each other haggling deals.
It really is a baseline of humans striking deals with each other.
The US replies have kinda confused me, like wtf is wrong with making a lower offer and dealing with each other like men?
Maybe corporate mentality owns the US now, no individuality and men or rather all humans striking deals with each other?
😞

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
I'm self employed with 2 businesses and hagglers are the worst, they think just because you own the business they are entitled to a discount or something. It's annoying, and only cuts into profits needed to expand the business. Walmart doesn't haggle, clothing stores don't haggle, amazon doesn't haggle, so why should I?

It's not my responsibility to make the service affordable, it's your responsibility to afford the service.

so just refuse politely then ffs, stop acting like a victim πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Sheye
You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

If someone is going to low-ball like that might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

That sounds #ed up to me, just say no politely?

I agree. When the Mormons or Seventh Day Adventists come to your door do you yell at them? Course not. You smile and say "No thank you." OP, don't make this into a US vs UK thing. Please.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure
My dad was a haggler loved to Jew people down often accused of being a German Jew.... Have to laugh at that one.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

so just refuse politely then ffs, stop acting like a victim πŸ˜‚

That's the problem, everybody tries to do it. It gets on your last nerve when you've sacrificed everything you had to finally grow your business just to have people try and low ball you or whine because your rate is too high. I have expenses, lots of them, and people tend to forget that it seems. People shamelessly try and haggle lower prices, they wouldn't care if I gave them the shirt off my back as long as they get theirs.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
it seems US members hate striking deals though, the only UK members replying are like me.
I'm not making it that way, but to anyone with an ounce of intelligence reading this thread they would see the same.
Honestly mate, I always assumed the land of the free haggled but so far I seem off target with such thoughts.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Silure

Probably obsessed with profit, I've got plenty of knowledge when it comes to costs and profit and I tend to notice what sells well and what doesn't.

My local store for instance had bottles of Sambuca on for Β£23, a flavour that just doesn't sell well, the owner used to be a cheapskate too but ya know what? He couldn't shift them and I was planning a huge BBQ.

I know he got them for around Β£11.70 per bottle so I said look man I'll buy 6 bottles for Β£15 each, you'll get shelf space and a little profit and I get a good deal. Ended up paying Β£16 a bottle and we both had a smile on our face... I eventually bought the last few bottles over the next few months for Β£17.

Some people just don't have a clue, counting their chickens before the proverbial eggs hatch so to speak.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler
it seems US members hate striking deals though, the only UK members replying are like me.
I'm not making it that way, but to anyone with an ounce of intelligence reading this thread they would see the same.
Honestly mate, I always assumed the land of the free haggled but so far I seem off target with such thoughts.

It might be because as a collective the US isn't really all that liberal after all.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Sheye
You just need to be ready for people you’re bartering with to tell you to GTFO.πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

If someone is going to low-ball like that might as well spit in their face and steal from them outright.

Gosh, I'll reply to both of you for that, you sound really aggressive like working a deal is something to be angry about?!
Ffs all you have to say is no! I always thought the American dream was about humans dealing with fellow humans..,your world just seems angry that anyone would dare offer you less than asking price?

Did you even see my example?

Asking price of 1 dollar for 1 item is already generous.

Offering .25 for 2 items is about as impolite as it gets.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Again, just say no and stop hitching mate.
The more replies I read now, the more I see victimhood, and whining about getting a lower offer like it is a personal insult.
Get over yourself and just politely say no. Its what I've always done in business
a reply to: eXia7

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Everyone wants theirs, it's the way of the world but it isn't difficult for everyone to have a nice slice of the pie.

If something isn't selling too well then be prepared to sell it cheaper, as long as you turn a profit you can chalk it up as a win. Because wasting shop space on items that barely sell should be a massive indicator that it's price is too high or their genuinely isn't a demand.
edit on 2-8-2019 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Just say no then!
# me, you and your polite crap in business is more shameful than British diplomacy and politeness πŸ˜‚
Makes me wonder which society is less of a slave...oh noes! They are asking a certain price for their goods but will be offended if I offer lower???!
Ffs, if you can't see how lame that sounds then I look forward to the UK striking trade deals with the US after brexit πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Haha brilliant story mate! πŸ‘
The world is business and business between two or more actual humans is the best.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Just say no then!
# me, you and your polite crap in business is more shameful

blah blah blah you're the only one calling for politeness.

If you're going to throw out an absurdly low offer like the one given in my example, then you deserve a reaction equally as absurd.

No time wasted on entitled, delusional brats. And yes I have yelled those cultists off my doorstep as well. Guess what? They don't come back, which is the goal.

Edit: Nvm I see this is basically a political troll thread in disguise.

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
No dude, you started the politeness whining:

Offering .25 for 2 items is about as impolite as it gets

Get over yourself and try being a real businessperson like us Brits do it.
Honestly, Trump would be shamed about your fragility and quickness to feel offended.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I see your edit Lmfao, all snowflake broken that someone offered you less than your asking price!!!
# me I'm glad people still haggle while respecting each other here πŸ˜‚

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   

No dude, you started the politeness whining:

I really didn't...

edit on 2-8-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Wow man you're so triggered that you think this is a political troll thread?πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'd say judging by the content of your posts you could work on your interaction skills and maybe, just maybe you'll realise that everything isn't about politics, you or how offended you get by things.

You can always say no, fairly sure that's been mentioned a few times. Btw politeness makes the world go round in a smoother fashion so take that lemon out of your mouth and next time maybe make some lemonade you sourpuss. I'll even give ya a good deal on sugar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join