It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Talk About Doctor Who: Any Fans Out There?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hey! So I'm a VERY recent fan of Doctor Who. Within the last 2 months I have binged all of the series, minus the originals which I plan to get to soon, and I absolutely love the show. Well, the hubby and I've just about finished with the 11th season With Jodie Whitaker as the 1st lady Doctor and I must say I am completely and sadly disappointed in it!!

I was pretty excited to have a woman doctor and normally when a new Dr comes in I hate them all at first because I've grown to love the most recent one but when its time for them to change I end up loving them all. But Jodie has just not done a good job in my opinion!

I understand that the show got new writers but its like they handed some fans the job and said have a go at it. The whole season was weird and felt like its what I, myself, would have come up with just watching them and thinking I could do it justice. The Doctor asks too many dumb questions and I felt like it was a "Doctor Who For Dummies".

I watched it all and will keep watching because I'm a fan but I just miss the way it was and some of the reoccurring characters like River Song and some of the major monsters like the daleks, cybermen and even Missy (The Master). And find myself wanting her to just regenerate already

Not sure how many out there are also fans or who want to chat about it or share their opinions but I'm open for discussion on this topic! No one I know watches it or has even heard of it!

edit on 2-8-2019 by PageLC14 because: Typos

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've watched ALL the Dr Who seasons and love it......except for Whitaker.
Just couldn't make it past the 3rd episode.
They've ruined what was once a great show.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I was never a huge fan of the older show, black and white..
My favorite by far was tom Baker, with Tennant 2nd.

The show was always about good science fiction stories and now it's nothing but political messages.
I started declining 3 or 4 seasons ago and I cant stomach the Whitaker character.
Awful...

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Tenant was the last really good one. I know a lot of people love the guy who came after him, but I just didn't quite get pulled in by him like a lot of folks did, and I wasn't thrilled with the older guy, and the idea of a woman Doctor turned me off.

There has just been too much with gender bending every character they can lately all across the board just to do it. Maybe if they'd done one or two and had really good reasons for it or done it in innovative ways, but these days, it just feels like they're doing it because they can and when it turns folks off, they blame the fans.

I started watching with Tom Baker when I was 5, btw, and he'll always be "The" Doctor as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad they hadn't come up with the Weeping Angels back then.
edit on 2-8-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've watched him on and off since his first appearance as a chidren's show.
There have been several threads about him on ATS, but you may be interested in my own Why the doctor's companion will probably die, which looks over the differences between the twentieth-century version and the more recent version.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Life-long fan, but this past season disappointed me.

It was more the writing than anything else.

They had a golden opportunity to move the Dr. Who character into a different setting and the writers just boiler-plated a season script that read more PC than innovative.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I love Dr Who and was so disappointed in the crap writing and emphasis on the show being about Diversity and not a Dr Who show last season. In an effort to be diverse they also did not do a Christmas episode for the first time, and opted for a Holiday episode that was not on Christmas.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Rather than die they decided the companion would become a diversity opportunity for them to have a bunch of non white people. Companion character development was such a huge part of Dr Who .. and was sadly lacking last season.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I must admit that I haven't even bothered to look at the latest Doctor.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

In essence you are right. The Companion is dead. It became a 3 people and was about being diverse rather than being a well thought out character you loved. I had zero attachment to any of them. Compared to Clara who is possibly my favorite Dr. character of all time even compared to the Dr's.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I want to make sure I am clear. I am fine with the Dr. being a woman, it fits within the universe of the show. The show having a diverse cast is not an issue. The show being ABOUT diversity is the issue. They spent all their time and energy making the show about PC talking points and diversity, the writing was horrible, the episode story lines sucked, and they did very little to develop the characters. If all 3 of the companions died I would not miss a single one of them. There have been companions I cared more about and some less about. There has never been one I cared nothing about until last season.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It's become Doctor What, now... far removed from it's origins..

shame.. and I grew up on it, every Friday at 6pm it would be on, and as a kid, I had my milo and toast.

Whittaker - or the agenda behind her script - has ruined it. None of it is Who...

But then, that's the world we now live in. All the vibrant colours of the pencil case, blended into grey.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I want to make sure I am clear. I am fine with the Dr. being a woman, it fits within the universe of the show. The show having a diverse cast is not an issue. The show being ABOUT diversity is the issue. They spent all their time and energy making the show about PC talking points and diversity, the writing was horrible, the episode story lines sucked, and they did very little to develop the characters. If all 3 of the companions died I would not miss a single one of them. There have been companions I cared more about and some less about. There has never been one I cared nothing about until last season.

I prefer wotsisface on the Chaser, only reason I tolerated him in Who. And even then it was like a cameo, he just didn't fit. none of them did.

And it's not even a case of "New doctor, I hate it.. meh!" which every new incarnation brings, before we go "Noooo HE can't dieeee!!!" realising that we've grown to accept him..

It's just crap.. especially the episode with the faux Trump character... just pants..

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm surprised at myself for makimg it through this season with her but I felt I had to. Still disappointed nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I did have a problem with it. I felt like one of the main things that grounded The Doctor and kept him who he was was being a "he". After all, everything else changed all the time.

And maybe I'd have felt differently if this wasn't coming at a time when every other fictional character in the world was being "diversified" mostly to suit agendas.

When they reboot "The Miracle on Ice" casting a bunch of paraplegic hockey players, we'll know we've reached peak insanity on this trend.
edit on 2-8-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So I have a problem with it being done in order to be PC. I do not have a problem with it in terms of it fitting the Dr. Who universe.

Bond can't be a female, Bond is a male. Dr Who can regenerate into a female, it fits the universe. I was greatly concerned about the PC influence infiltrating Dr. Who ... and unfortunately it turned out it did.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Tennant is also my favorite but i jad a biased opinion of him before the show because of other things he has done. But honestly I've loved all of them. This one though is not doing the character any justice.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Tennant is the best and Clara is the best, their combo was pure sci-fi magic.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Matt Smith was the actor who took over afy3er Tennant and I hated him so much at first. Mainly because I missed the special where it showed why and how David changed so for me it was one day David then the next Smith so I was angry at him lol I ended up loving his goofiness and relationshios with other characters.

The older one I didn't like either because he was older and I felt he tried too hard but in the end I loved him again for his relationships with the characters. He did good as the doctor and definitely played with my emotions lol

The weeping angels have got to be one of the scariest creatures in this show but I'm excited to watch the earlier seasons and see how well they did the daleks back then.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Agree. The writing was just horrendous to me and like I said i felt like it was a Doctor Who For Dummies. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way!

edit on 2-8-2019 by PageLC14 because: Dumb typos

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join