It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green new deal & eliminating coal/oil - China plans 300-500 new coal plants by 2030!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I hate globalism. I'm a patriot. We should be looking to our own interests, not to the interests of the entire planet.

So converting to green energy? Meh. I think it's not ready for prime time, but further research and development is a good thing. They are working on a lot of interesting stuff. Salt-glass batteries, graphene supercapacitors, fusion power. Lots of game-changers that could make us less dependent on fossil fuels.

I don't think fossil fuels are bad by the way. CO2 is not a pollutant. It helps plants grow. The globull warming propagandists just want you to hate it.

However I'm not opposed to us going fossil fuel free if it works better for us.

If China is building hundreds of new coal power plants, why not sell China our coal? This is an opportunity for profit, and if China doesn't care about the pollution let them have as much of it as they want.
edit on 8/2/19 by peskyhumans because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Assassin82

I just got back from Wyoming (Casper, Laramie, Cheyenne) and the gas boom is still going very strong. Plenty of hiring signs everywhere.

You might have driven through my hometown of Douglas then. It’s a shell of its one great self. I heard there was another energy boom in progress and that it was going to be a big one. But when they pull out and leave town the bottom will drop out of the economy.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well, its a known fact that the New Green Deal is more about changing the economy tham actual planet saving.

Just a failed would be clever ruse to get eyes on it.

This is a Capitalistic society.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

This morning I was listening to a former Obama Admin official describe how other countries will follow our lead, if we take the initiative to clean up our own house first.

He spoke eloquently, but is obviously a very naïve person.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82
You might have driven through my hometown of Douglas then.

Stopped for lunch there.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
I hate globalism. I'm a patriot. We should be looking to our own interests, not to the interests of the entire planet.

So converting to green energy? Meh. I think it's not ready for prime time, but further research and development is a good thing. They are working on a lot of interesting stuff. Salt-glass batteries, graphene supercapacitors, fusion power. Lots of game-changers that could make us less dependent on fossil fuels.

I don't think fossil fuels are bad by the way. CO2 is not a pollutant. It helps plants grow. The globull warming propagandists just want you to hate it.

However I'm not opposed to us going fossil fuel free if it works better for us.

If China is building hundreds of new coal power plants, why not sell China our coal? This is an opportunity for profit, and if China doesn't care about the pollution let them have as much of it as they want.

I'm not sure how cost effective it is to ship coal that far. If coal could be mined close to the coast it might be economical especially if ships are returning to China empty or near empty then the shipping cost could be greatly offset by this. Unfortunately I don't know many coal producing states on the west coast, I know Wyoming produces as well as Montana, but those are more mid western states.

Here is a map of the coal reserves in the US:

www.eia.gov...

Production by state

en.wikipedia.org...

It looks like Utah & New Mexico might be closest to western ports. I suppose it might be economical to run large freight trains to the coast. But overall the coal would need to be less expensive than it is when mined in China.

Actually I remembered something while typing this. You can ship coal via pipeline actually! Yeah, it's pretty amazing and it would actually add some value to the coal as it would be ready to be used in modern coal plants that use a fluidized bed which basically injects a powdered coal (with a small amount of water as well IIRC) into a very hot burning coal bed. So the coal could be powdered at the mine, piped to the port and then fill the holds of ships with coal similar to how we do it with grain.

Fluidized bed (very good at pollution capture!)

en.wikipedia.org...

I actually think this might be feasible, especially with a trade deficit. The main obstacle would be construction of the pipeline with the Left-coasters and the NIMBYers there. It might be easier to pass though b/c it doesn't pose the same environmental risk as an oil pipeline would (if it spills) or safety hazard of a gas pipeline if it ruptures.

I know there was a lot of research that went into building a coal pipeline in Nevada (IIRC) to run a power plant or maybe to provide power for some industry.

Wiki has a page on coal pipelines actually:

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd love to introduce legislation that proposed allowing this pipeline to run to LA or San Fran area and see some of the lefty politician's heads explode! It'd be like a marriage between their two favorite things - coal and pipelines!

Text

edit on 8 3 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Assassin82
You might have driven through my hometown of Douglas then.

Stopped for lunch there.

Did you get a picture with the Jackalope? Not many people know that Douglas is where the Jackalope was created. A couple taxidermists were bored and put antlers on a rabbit and the legend grew from there.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

No, LOL, I didn't, but I did see the thing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join