It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be careful what you wish for!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why in the heck do people even bother asking for the opinions of others any more on this forum? All they do is get ticked off and start getting belligerent when people don't tell them exactly what they want to hear anyway!

Whether it's religion, politics, medical or personal advice that they claim to seek it is only a false claim. What they really want is for people to regurgitate to them exactly their own thoughts. I'm guessing what they really seek is validation but why? If you are so convinced that what you believe is the only possible correct opinion on the matter(s) you shouldn't need validation from anyone.

^^^ Never saw anything more true!

End Rant.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I am just itching to say it... WRONG.

Couldn't be more wrong. What people want is validation... ya... betcha didn't know that....

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

Emmmm... pretty sure I pondered if they are seeking validation, but I also ponder if they are so convinced of their position(s) to the point of being ugly to anyone with a differing opinion what is the point of even asking? When someone is so convinced they should not need validation.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's called insecurity. That's why they come looking to hear that they're really secretly right.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The difference between me and them?

I don't know that I'm right. I'm just 100% comfortable with what I believe and don't expect everyone else to think like I do.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Newt22

Couldn't be more wrong. What people want is validation... ya... betcha didn't know that....

Maybe you're just trying to be funny, or maybe you weren't listening because that is exactly what he said.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
The difference between me and them?

I don't know that I'm right. I'm just 100% comfortable with what I believe and don't expect everyone else to think like I do.

That's how normal people usually are, but in this age of social media/MSM psych wars it seems like what was once considered normal thought patterns have been replaced with hyper-emotional reactivity instead and if you are not subscribing to "group think" you must be treated as an enemy combatant. And it's not just a left or right thing, it's danged near everybody!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Stars/Flags = back pats all around!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Newt22

Maybe you're just trying to be funny, or maybe you weren't listening because that is exactly what he said.

She...
and thank you!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ten years ago. Tribes were smaller. It wasn't hard to share your opinion with your close friends and get some validation. Not only that but they would share their like mined opinion and before you knew it. The idea changed. It evolved with the information you had at the time. It got people closer and made them feel less alone.

Today. People are trying to make the whole world their tribe. They want to share their opinion but the thing is. They are not sharing it with like minded people. They are trying to so share it with the world.

It was easy to assert who you would share your opinion with. It was a gift to be the one someone would share their opinion with. You didn't just talk to anyone about your deepest secret. Only those who you found to be worthy.

I don't see that anymore. I can't fully explain what's going on today because it's more than just one thing but with the Internet the way it is now and how we were before it, it's creating chaos on a level I still cannot fathom.

We don't want to be alone. The Internet makes that easy in a way but at the same time very confusing. Some can handle it. Others can't.

Also it's the context of words. "Hey, how are doing?" Could be taken in so many different ways. Words tell about emotion but doesn't show it. I see it all time when someone comments to another, that person reads his words as an insult when if taken differently wouldn't be so.

Like I said. Extremely confusing. Either we evolve or we'll die. Any one got a coin?

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGhoul

I really like your take on the situation because I can see it that way as well. The internet has done so much for keeping people in touch with each other no matter where they are in this world, but in the process it has really taken away from personal, face-to-face relationships. A recent personal example: My sister got married this month. How did the family find out? After the fact with a FB post so we all found out at the same time as hundreds of strangers. My mother was extremely hurt by this, and my father (who doesn't do FB) had to find out secondhand from someone else in the family who also saw it there. It's a sad, sad day when the "likes" of strangers whom you only know from the web are just as, if not more so, important as your closest kin.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I can honestly say your thread premise is false.
I prefer people to disagree so then I can argue and tell them how wrong they are, and yes I’m an asshole

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
I prefer people to disagree so then I can argue and tell them how wrong they are, and yes I’m an asshole

I have read many of your posts and I agree, but all of the best people are!
I come from an ancient and unbroken line of assholes myself!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm just wondering why anyone cares what other's think? I mean, it is nice to have like minded individuals, but that is just what we are...individuals.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

In short, because it’s much easier for some people to vent their frustrations out at people online (that they don’t know). As opposed to confronting their problematic situations at home.

It’s passive / aggressive behavior.

Not a fan of it, myself. I get my sh!t out at home. 😜

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

In short, because it’s much easier for some people to vent their frustrations out at people online (that they don’t know). As opposed to confronting their problematic situations at home.

It’s passive / aggressive behavior.

Not a fan of it, myself. I get my sh!t out at home. 😜

I get that, but what I don't get is why ask for opinions if you don't really want to hear them unless the opinions tickle your fancy? When I ask people for their opinions (whether in real life or online) it is because I honestly want to hear what others think- not to hurl expletives at anyone who doesn't hold the same opinions that I have. But then again I am fairly open minded and do realize that while many others claim the same it isn't necessarily true.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

No you don't..........

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I personally like to have disagreement with a thread premise I post, but often times I'm disappointed because the disagreements I get are petty and shallow 1 liners.

I do very much appreciate thoughtful disagreement, although it is exceedingly rare.

But yes, most people just want to hear everyone agree with them. The reason I appreciate a valid disagreement is because the only way for me to improve my thoughts and refine them is to learn new things and question my own beliefs honestly. If everyone agrees than I am basically on my own when it comes to progress.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

No you don't..........

Yes I do

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Opinions are usually more flexible than beliefs. The funniest debates are where both participants are wrong in their understanding. It is kinda magic when one of them eventually gets it.

<<   2  3 >>

join