It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uknews/whaleybridge dam collapse town evacuated as danger to life warning issued

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Parts of the wall of the reservoir collapsed, fell down covers it fine.

What do you assume happens to antiquated dams after repeated heavy rains and years of Tory austerity programmes that saw significant cuts to spending on flood defences?

We can argue that Damwalls don't come under flood defences i suppose.

Don't change the fact that those defences are underfunded and insufficient at best.

Blame the Trust if you wish, but someone is to blame other than the weather.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Why was the place not regularly surveyed?

Got any evidence for that or did you just make that up, too?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Well, this dam wall certainly does not so there goes you excuse for a "I blame the Tories" rant.

I'm not blaming anyone, just pointing out to you that this dam wall has nothing to do with the Govt.

Too early to blame anyone yet but feel free to make up claims of lack of maintenance, surveying etc just so you can have a pop at your hated Tories.
edit on 2-8-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Still someone.

Fact is the dam is in a rather serious state and requires immediate repair.

Hence the Chinook with all the sandbags i imagine.

Tommy 10 names called himself a ""journalist"". LoL

The joke is the sheer lack of disregard where our flood defence system is at play.

And we are blaming private trusts?

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's worse than you think. Those evil Tories have not spent a single penny on maintaining this dam wall.

But that's because maintaining this dam wall has nothing to do with the dam Govt in the first place.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Who owns the Trust, there is the blame right there.

Who significantly cut our flood defenses?

You don't imagine there may have been a knock-on effect?

If the government is not properly maintaining and putting in place proper defenses, cant see why they would nether.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Still someone.

Maybe, maybe not but in this case not the Govt.

Tommy 10 names called himself a ""journalist"". LoL

What?

And we are blaming private trusts?

It's a charitable Trust, not a private Trust, and no one is blaming the Trust. Just trying to get it through your skull that maintaining this dam wall is the Trust's responsibility, not the Govt's.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Who owns the Trust, there is the blame right there.

Not. The. Govt.

Oh, I give up.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: uncommitted

Are you sure?

voxpoliticalonline.com...

skwawkbox.org...

Might not be your ""Daily Fail"", but they are someone. LoL

Nope, unsubstantiated nonsense from people with no actual understanding of facts - I can see why you would find sites such as that credible though.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Parts of the wall of the reservoir collapsed, fell down covers it fine.

What do you assume happens to antiquated dams after repeated heavy rains and years of Tory austerity programmes that saw significant cuts to spending on flood defences?

Don't change the fact that those defences are underfunded and insufficient at best.

You really do push it don't you.

How much did the Attlee/Wilson/Wilson/Callaghan/Blair/Blair/Brown governments do about this?

Nothing. Fecking Labour governments, eh?

Why do you spout such cr@p about things you know nothing about?

Sometimes your posts are amusing, but then sometimes you really do talk sh!te.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: LABTECH767

What? The problem with this dam is Thatcher's fault? Remind me, since Thatcher how many years has Labour been in power for? Did they fix these problems?

OH come off of it man, don't try to deflect like that it won't wash here, maybe for our international friends but definitely NOT here.
NEW LABOUR was NEVER LABOUR they were a bunch of disgruntled student's that knew they could never get there leg up if they joined the Tory's so they hijacked LABOUR and almost destroyed the party, sadly though labour HAS swung back to it's root's we now have Corbyn whom is TOO far to the left in some of his ideal's though I agree with a lot that he say's - will he actually DO though?.

SO in actuality we have NOT had a single LABOUR government since Thatcher, what we have had is conservatives under Major whom were more LEFT wing than NEW LABOUR and the NEW LABOUR years of Blair - whom tried to ingratiate himself and his kid's into the Royal circle and whose Wife Cherry or something was involved in a property fraud scam to do with some flats but being a barrister and the PM's wife was let off and Brown whom picked the coffers clean and to put it frankly could not do his job with any level of competence even selling our gold reserves off for only 200 million to cover a hole in his former departments (the treasury) budget (EXPENSES as I recall) of about the same value while in fact that gold he sold off so cheaply was worth perhaps ten time's as much - so did money change hand's there hmm I wonder.
So don't try to tell me that Blair was a Labour man because to be quite frank he most certainly was NOT he was FAKE Labour Neo Thatcherite Scum that STOLE the vote of Labour voters to get himself into power and that did not run our nation in any way like a labour government.

AND then do not get me started on our current crop of scoundrels that began to rule this country in the CONDEM years, I mean what a bunch of incompetent twit's and cruel greedy harmful hooray Harrys eh!, don't tell me you are going to run to there defence.

Remember Thatcher sold off those houses and impoverished local authority's by taking away there housing stock with the sheep saying it was wonderful because they got to own there own home (that they already had the right to stay in for the rest of there lives for far less than it actually cost them to buy them), homelessness has doubled in this country over the past ten years and thing's have gotten very bleak while this bunch of scum bag liars are claiming more people than at any time since the year of zero are employed - employed on ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS with no workers right's or protection's in most cases and those right's only just beginning to be extended to them thanks' to the EU that forced them to comply - people in work having to go to food bank's just to survive and choose between eating and heating in winter.

And as for those houses Thatcher sold off - you do know that Barret and Whimpy as well as several other builders were producing fine private housing at affordable prices long before that witch sold off our housing stock don't you.

And now as those that bought them are aging they are suddenly finding that once again thanks to the Bloody Tory scum they are having to sell there homes or sign them over to there care providers so are losing them anyway just to pay the usually Asian business man that have heavily invested in our care industry enough to receive basic old age care.

Gad sooth man WAKE THE BLOODY HELL UP because if you have not by now you never will and if you can't accept when you are wrong then go and put your head back into the sand.

Sorry about that I get a bit wound up, I know some of you will always see the sunshine coming out of the Tory's arses for some reason and other's think Labour can do no wrong but my own humble opinion is that the vast majority of politician's are ill qualified for there roles, corrupt, insensitive to the need's of the people and otherwise incompetent and only interesting in there own vested interests.

Thatcher was a very clever and manipulative woman but she was NOT a good one, not by a long shot, her public rating's were right down and had it not been for the Falkland's war she would have been out on her arse after her first term but she rode to continued political success on the back of Galtierie's ill conceived attempt to take a piece of British sovereign territory by committing and act of war and invading it, the Argy's have long claimed they are there's but there claim is based solely on the fact that Spain gave them to them AT a time when Spain did not even own them but had lost them to the French whom had then sold them to we British, they remained unpopulated due to there remote and inhospitably climate for a long time except for a few Portuguese whalers whom set up an illegal whaling station on one of the southern island's and were later evicted by the RN and then remained unpopulated until some sheep farmers decided to give it a go at living there, people that live there today tend to Love it but it takes a certain breed of village minded people to want to live there in the first place.

I do not think Corbyn will be a good prime minister on the international stage or a Good prime minister from a defence point of view and I want us to have a bigger armed forces as we really will need it especially now that we are coming out of the EU and with new economic blocks forming new cold wars around the world which that Flaming Bullingdon retarded idiot Cameron left us in the worst possible situation to face with his tax cut's for the rich funded by cut's to public service including our defence budget and the severely premature scrapping of Ark Royal and her older sister ships the Illustrious and the invincible, they were old but still had plenty of life in them and being small carriers they had very important niche roles that our Newer Elizabeth class carriers - for which we don't even have planes as that twerp also scrapped all our harriers like the drunk hooray harry he always was - are simply too large for those roles and more like we were trying to create US Style air craft carriers at the very time that those large ship's are increasingly vulnerable to rogue nation's having acquired ever more potent anti ship and anti aircraft carrier missile technology's.

In short the Three we used to have were about the minimum we could work with, the two new Elizabeth class when they are both in service are not enough even though they are larger - they did not need to be larger we just needed more of them and the old Invincible class just needed to be updated and redesigned for the new age not replaced with floating American sized carriers that cost more and of which we have less.

We need both our conventional and nuclear arsenal's increased and we need a prime minister that does not say he will never use them even before he is elected into power BUT we also do not need a hooray harry that is only intent on lining his mates pockets while leaving our people to starve and die in the streets from poverty.

At least Boris has started to put funding back into the police but perhaps too little too late but when was the last time you heard our government talking about our children and there future, today it's old folk's being a burden and feral youth they don't care at all.

edit on 2-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
New RAF Dam Unbuster Squadron

Pretty neat photo of the Chinook bringing in aggregate to help shore up the collapsed spillway.

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Looks like its been a succession of poor repairs that have ended up with the problems it faces today
It is actually owned by the Canal and River trust which was the waterway trust and before that British waterways which was a statutory corporation wholly owned by the government of the United Kingdom that was founded in 1962 Who knows how many owners before that!
I am surprised to learn that this is not the first time this type of damage has happened at this dam This is taken from wiki: High rainfall levels resulted in damage to the dam’s spillway in December 1964.The damage was repaired in 1965, but flood studies judged the spillway to be inadequate. As a result in 1971 a new concrete spillway was added to the centre of the dam.
In the 1980s, British Waterways carried out significant repair works to the dam to deal with leaks involving the mining shafts located around the dam. This resulted in a culvert being constructed under the current beach/launching area for the reservoir. A stone marker could be seen on the main beach showing the location of this for many years, but was relocated to the footpath opposite Toddbrook Lodge during access work for the 2009 draining.
It was known that the local coal mining industry had been a challenge for the dam's integrity for many years. The original builders were forced to purchase a block of coal below the dam in situ in order to ensure its mining did not cause structural issues.
The reservoir was also partially drained in 2009 for re-alignment works on the dam, and then again in 2010.

link   
Looks like its been a succession of poor repairs that have ended up with the problems it faces today
It is actually owned by the Canal and River trust which was the waterway trust and before that British waterways which was a statutory corporation wholly owned by the government of the United Kingdom that was founded in 1962 Who knows how many owners before that!
I am surprised to learn that this is not the first time this type of damage has happened at this dam This is taken from wiki: High rainfall levels resulted in damage to the dam’s spillway in December 1964.The damage was repaired in 1965, but flood studies judged the spillway to be inadequate. As a result in 1971 a new concrete spillway was added to the centre of the dam.
In the 1980s, British Waterways carried out significant repair works to the dam to deal with leaks involving the mining shafts located around the dam. This resulted in a culvert being constructed under the current beach/launching area for the reservoir. A stone marker could be seen on the main beach showing the location of this for many years, but was relocated to the footpath opposite Toddbrook Lodge during access work for the 2009 draining.
It was known that the local coal mining industry had been a challenge for the dam's integrity for many years. The original builders were forced to purchase a block of coal below the dam in situ in order to ensure its mining did not cause structural issues.
The reservoir was also partially drained in 2009 for re-alignment works on the dam, and then again in 2010.

link   
double post

edit on 8/3/2019 by astra001uk because: double post

link   

link   
triple post thanks to ATS weirdness
edit on 8/3/2019 by astra001uk because: tripple post thanks to ATS weirdness

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 03:39 AM
link   

edit on 5-8-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Does any of that have anything to do with this dam?

posted on Aug, 5 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Gad sooth man WAKE THE BLOODY HELL UP because if you have not by now you never will and if you can't accept when you are wrong then go and put your head back into the sand.

What am I wrong about?

Mrs Thatcher was last in office nearly thirty years ago. What has she got to do with this dam?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join