It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filming the speed of light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   
yep... I didn't think it was actually possible...

Apparently I was wrong...

Light being the fastest thing in the universe that we know... it takes 8 mins to get from the sun to our little blue ball

that's 299,792 kilometers per second by the way...

And likely for the first time... you can now see light as it moves across a medium

Filmed at a few different speeds, and at the top end... 10 trillion frames per second

It doesn't look like much... but its actually pretty amazing

Enjoy!

edit on 1-8-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
yep... I didn't think it was actually possible...

Apparently I was wrong...

Light being the fastest thing in the universe that we know... it takes 8 mins to get from the sun to our little blue ball

that's 299,792 kilometers per second by the way...

And likely for the first time... you can now see light as it moves across a medium

Filmed at a few different speeds, and at the top end... 10 trillion frames per second

It doesn't look like much... but its actually pretty amazing

Enjoy!

i think this has been around for a few years. truly amazing in my opinion as well. one thing i like to compare are speeds of different non comparable measurements. for example... have our frames per second equalled or exceeded the speed of light? i mean we have captured enough photos in one session to slow down light enough to be observable to the human eye. boggles my mind

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

There were drugs I took in the 60s that would allow my mind to travel at the speed of light but I don't remember what they were called at the time I took therm.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

There are several methods of doing this. The first method was to send a bunch of photos and then stitch it together as one photon.

I believe this one you posted is the newer Tcup method.

They use a camera to take a long exposure photo that captures the entire motion of the light in one picture.

At the same time they take a video of the light.

Then they feed it into a computer where they look at the frames they have from the video, and extrapolate from the long exposure photo what the frames they missed would have looked like and digitally create them.

Genius.
edit on 1-8-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Dude, almost every thread or comment you post is about drugs. We get it.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Posted a few months ago, but still pretty amazing

Here's What the Speed of Light Looks Like in Slow Motion

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Speed is a concept not a physical thing so it can't be filmed or captured.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
Speed is a concept not a physical thing so it can't be filmed or captured.

WRONG - The measurement of speed is made up, but the speed of ANYTHING is a real, quantifiable thing. I move from LA to NY in 2 hours. I could have been traveling 2500 Zoo-Bloobs per Wanker or 2500 miles per hour. Doesn't matter what you THINK up to call it, it still happened. I moved a certain amount of distance in a certain amount of time - hence I had an ACTUAL and very real speed, no mater what unit of measure you choose to use.

Dorian Soran

top topics

join